AMC: Monday, June 21, 2010

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LMAO! I know, right? I think my worst example of not letting go is I still miss the babies who used to play Miranda. I didn't even accept that little girl who played her during the wedding storyline. :lol:

Really, I'm capable of adjusting. I grew to love Dan Gauthier's Kevin and I dare you to show me a more recast role than OLTL's Kevin Buchanan while Cornelius made me forget anyone else ever played Frankie Hubbard.

• Members

Gotcha. I don't even have THAT many memories of Mia Korf but I still go through it with KDP to this day on general principle. I just try to remind myself that Eartha Kitt and Julie Newmar were both playing the same Catwoman. I guess I tend to look at recasts and soaps in general in theatre terms, like they're one big rep company anyway and each show is like a long-running play where there are replacements. I can continue to follow the story but I can still have my favorites.

ETA: Eric, I was posting, didn't even see your comment. ;)

• Members

Haha!I knew someone would say that and I suspected it would be you! I was thinking about RENT even as I wrote that and oddly enough I have no problem with recasts in theatre but when it comes to soaps I'm a little like those people who won't accept Vanessa Hudgens as Mimi or Corbin Bleu as Usnavi in ITH. Ironically, I'm just the opposite, I relish seeing other actors' takes on a character. (But not Hudgens in RENT. I have my limits. I don't know what NPH is thinking.)

I'm not proud of it mind you but I own it.

• Members

Nah, I think that's fine, and I do get it (and of course in theatre the recast does the same material as the earlier actor). I guess though growing up collecting multiple cast recordings of the same show (God how gay do I sound), etc has made me a bit more open minded to it all.

• Members

Granted, I am not interested enough to even Google his career history, but Mr. High School Musical's commercials for In The Heights are running lately and he talks about how Broadway is "Home" and he's "Coming Home", oh stfu...

• Members

But even in straight plays (no pun intended) you have a show like Race that's currently running with a revolving cast or the millions of Hamlets you may have seen over the years, or even when Elizabeth Ashley was replaced by Diahann Carroll in Agnes of God, something different is brought to the role and perhaps the material even though both are still the same on paper. I think that right there is where the divide happens because a soap is a new script every day and the writers will begin to write into the recast which can be annoying. One recast that always sticks out in my memory is Laurel on AMC, this hot sexy mysterious blonde becoming this modest, almost brittle brunette, I think those kind of recasts annoy me the most, the "take the character in a different direction" recasts.

• Members

Yeah, Corbin. It's really criminal though how many shows I have not seen, I'd probably like that one. Not seeing Debbie Allen's Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (no matter how bad it may have been) is pretty unforgivable in my own book.

• Members

I saw it. It wasn't as bad as some made it out to be but Debbie should probably stay away from Tennessee Williams in the future.

Oh that didn't make a damn bit of sense. Those are the times I just have to tell myself they're two different characters because that's exactly what they are. I guess it's a "damned if you do/damned if you don't" situation. They either take an existing character in a new direction or bring on a newbie.

• Members

She wasn't on long, I remember Jack almost mowing her down in his car and a couple of scenes with them when he tracked her down, but needless to say, her image in contrast with her recast has stayed with me all these years. Same with the Noelle/Silver recast.

Archived