ALL: They Almost Became

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

She played Gertrude in an off-Broadway production of Hamlet a few seasons ago and I really wish I had seen it. I'm being naive and closed minded about her ability with Rachel's wicked ways which is unfair since I don't even know her work as Tara. And Lemay had his plans for Rachel anyway so she wouldn't have had to play that for terribly long ayway. Some older fans online once talked about the rumors of AW luring Susan Lucci over from AMC when RS was leaving, so it is ironic to see this news about KLG.

• Members

I heard NBC offered Lucci a role on any of their soaps in the 80s. I wonder if that was true.

Its interesting though because KLG tried out for Erica and Lucci tried out for Tara. I could see Lucci as Tara, but I don't think I could EVER see anyone in the role of Erica except for Susan. I wonder though, if Lucci played Tara if she'd still be on today and if the role of Erica would have just disappeared the way Tara did with Gorney in the role.

• Members

It's tough to say, as I can't really see KLG as Rachel or Harding Lemay being inspired by her. But who knows, he might have been. I think KLG would have been more suited to a show like Ryan's Hope.

I also think that one of the reasons Tara disappeared may have been some of KLG's issues - for instance, she was out in 1977 because she wanted the character to change and they didn't. Of course she was probably right.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

In late 1977 Karen was basically let go from the role - she said it was fine with her, as she had asked them to change Tara (mature her, I guess) and they wouldn't.

I think the problem with Jeff and Tara is that they were duplicated by other characters - Jeff by Chuck and to some degree Linc. Tara was fairly unique for AMC in the 70's but they burned through a lot of story with her and someone like Nina, or Donna, who sort of fulfilled the same story purpose, came in. Then by the time story was there which should have brought these characters back, AMC had moved into more glamorous territory.

It also seems like a lot of AMC's roles in the 70's and early 80's were unable to catch on after a popular actor left. It doesn't even seem like they really tried with Jeff (just a few short recasts that went nowhere).

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

I don't really know. To me it seems like a lot of AMC's characters in the 70's were very one-dimensional, and they tended to repeat similar stories year in and year out. If you were playing saltier characters, like Erica or Phoebe, this must have been fun, but for the stalwart characters it must have been a big drag.

They did try to make some story changes with characters like Ruth but it would always go back to a safe outcome.

• Members

I do not remember any of the Taras besides KLG making a very brief appearance when Kelsey was on the show and they made her look very matronly. I guess I shouldn't say matronly because to be fair, Erica was being dressed in that professional look of the time as well, the suits and all. But Tara had her hair in a french roll with grey streaks which I remember as looking unnatural. If they were natural, KLG has since dyed her hair. But I wonder if KLG had stayed on would they have written a more Viki and Dorian type ongoing rivalry for them leaving less (any??) room for Brooke.

• Members

I thought they made her look ridiculous. I think that was to try to sell her as being the mother to middle-aged Chris Lawford but it didn't work. The whole return was frustrating as she was mostly just there as a Kelsey prop and then never seen again. There was also the stuff with her husband, which rumor has it was going to be revealed as her husband being lovers with Michael Delaney.

The only times I've seen Tara besides the few 70's glimpses like her wedding and her early days is when Nancy Frangione appeared at Kate's funeral.

Edited by CarlD2