Hot in Cleveland Discussion Thread

Jonathan

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Valerie Bertinelli is just not a lead actress and not strong enough to be the adult center of a sitcom, IMO. At least she was cute on One Day At A Time.

I found this show awful, I knew it was never going to be something amazing, but it's nothing but weak one liners that try too hard and another generic show that hides behind female friendships. It's all just so flat.

And as I mentioned in my status update the other day, Wendie Malick is such a poor man's Christine Baranski. :lol:

• Members

As Y&RWortdTurner pointed out there was too many one liners. The only good jokes were from Betty White. She had the best lines on the show. Valerie needs better/stronger co-stars to help her out. She can't carry this show. Right now Betty White is carrying this show.

• Members

It's always tough to judge a sitcom by its' pilot, b/c 1) the pilot has to do a lot more than just "be funny"; and 2) b/c pilots are usually written and shot before the show-runner has had an opportunity to hire a full-time writing staff, there isn't the benefit of having other writers tweak the script. Having said that, I think I'll wait a few more weeks before I pass final judgment on this one. Already, though, I think Suzanne Martin would be wise to take a cue from Bob Newhart's shows and make Valerie Bertinelli the straight man (er, woman) and sort-of audience advocate, allowing her character to react to the others' antics the way we would since, IMO, Jane Leeves, Wendie Malick and Betty White are the real stunners here.

Archived