ABC Soaps: Disney selling ABC?

• Members

What soaps, though? If Disney sells ABC, wouldn't the soaps go with it? I figure they'd change SOAPnet to a general women's entertainment channel (probably more Oxygen/WE than Lifetime, though) or give it a completely new identity, like a Disney Movie Channel or something similar. If they don't just shut it down.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Government and business are apples and oranges, big organizations, but not comparable. Government is about 'action' while publicly traded companies are about 'clearly thought out business plans for growth and success'. Government changes for changes sake whether it needs to or not because it's based on ideology.

Comcast is simply trying to restore NBC to what it was prior to the Leno decimation and it needs to do that in order to please its affiliates.

Whose going to notice that Brian Frons is gone? The executives who are above him and the board of directors who will be able to say "Whew, we fired that underpreformer Brian Frons who made mismanagement decisions left and right". That's always been what's bothered me about campaigns to oust executives, they don't give a [!@#$%^&*] about the fans, they only care about the money. Whoever takes over ABC will clearly see that daytime is leaking money like a pasta strainer and guess whose holding that strainer: Chef Frons.

• Members

Not really, no.

It's doing a lousy job so far. It's still a swamp it always was.

I'm saying: we can fire Frons and it won't affect our shares and stock value because no one knows who Frons is. You... Misunderstood or something. If no one knows, great. Because then we can do whatever we want to do in that department. So that's a quick change, doable, no one's gonna notice. You say.

• Members

Damn, y'all are getting deep. Okay I'm not a big money investor of anybody and I'm not even sure how to pronounce "Exchequer" but here are my thoughts as somebody who's worked at media companies when they get sold.

Any bean counter is going to look at ABCD and see it's been bleeding for years for a LOT of reasons. The new company could decide to wipe out the soaps but I wager that wouldn't be one of their top priorities. Better to fire Frons and install a manager they know and trust to staunch the bleeding while they focus on other hotter divisions.

• Members

I did misunderstand, your tone often has a questioning quality to it, so I meant to answer you.

Certainly, a change with Frons could be done swiftly because it would not be evident and quite frankly daytime does not factor a lot of money into ABC's bottom line. It's a big change in terms of CEO, Head of Development and the lineup that would be impactful. Canceling the whole daytime soap lineup would be big, but depending how it's spun, it could still work.

But these changes aren't done quickly simply because it takes the accountants (take a bow KPMG, Price Waterhouse or whomever!) a while to make reports.

You pronounce it Ex-Check-Er ;)

And you're absolutely right about what would happen with ABCD.

• Members

Did anybody read a article in the NYTimes (Online) about Disney to replace SOAPnet? It can be found here. Feel free to start a new topic if neccessary. I didn't know where toput it.

It won't be for another 18 months but its still getting some soap fans up in arms.

I did a double take on this little piece in the article...

I wonder if its an oversight of the author or something else altogether.

I'll be sad to miss the soaps at night because of work during the day.

• Members

Agreed because I don't think Disney or Nick need anymore channels to showcase what the others already have. But I have to wonder are they not doing it because of the others Lifetime, Lifetime Movie Network, Oxygen, We, and the upcoming OWN network. There could be more Women geared networks that I forgot to name.

Archived