CBS Protest Rally now on CNN

• Members

I didn't say embarrassing, I said sad. Very different things.

Sad that the show reached a point where cancellation was imminent, sad that no one really cares... Sad that the video report sucks, a rather cliched approach to matters... Sad.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I see your point as it applies to most situations in life, but TV shows, not so much. ATWT has meant a lot to me over the years, but even if I still lived in NY, I wouldn't be out there protesting. Now if the end of democracy and freedom were at hand, I'd fight to the death, but when it comes to a TV show, I guess I just understand the economics of this too well to think that a couple of fans protesting will make a wit of difference. If it makes people feel better to do this, I think it's great they at least feel passionately about something. I don't think it's embarrassing, just futile.

• Members

I agree with this. At least these people aren't rallying to support a show that's already aired its last episode or are badgering a cable channel that's shown very minimal interest in picking it up.

I think the number one thing that hurts movements like this is that (and this is all just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth), either the rallied troops don't bring it up or the cameras just don't catch it, there's never any mention of how shitrocious these shows have become, writing-wise, acting-wise, production-wise, etc. Do I wish they could stay around forever and improve? Hell yes! But at the same time, I wouldn't dare find myself with the opportunity to articulate my thoughts on World Turns (or any of the others) on national TV and not turn in my two cents worth on the show's current state of affairs. It's the exact same thing, to me, as the big Nuke kiss campaign stuff. Writing in kissing scenes for Luke and Noah haven't made their storylines any better, and an eleventh-hour save for ATWT won't make the show itself any better. There needs to be a charismatic leader who, when the cameras show up, can articulate clearly and sufficiently the problems of soaps.

• Members

Fights sometimes have sense, but not this time. You can't fight for this show to remain on air by gathering 7 people outside CBS.

You need to gather 2.7 million people which will translate into 75.8 ratings points. Since that's not possible, bye, bye! Reality.

• Members
I used the word embarrassing. And for *ME* I wouldn't have stood on the streets of NYC in the cold protesting the cancellation of any TV show. That for ME would be embarrassing. I understand some people get attached to shows and I think it's great that people want to take time out of their day to protest the cancellation of a TV show. But the crowd was paltry and it seemed like some of the people protesting were kind of certifiable, as if they had nothing else in their lives to occupy their time. Like the group organizer who said, "These people are my family." Really?! That was a bit disturbing for me.

• Members

Right. I agree, it's just a TV show, a beloved TV show, but a TV show nonetheless. But I'm speaking more to the point that many of us on sites like this one have no problem spending hours making post after post about how awful the soaps have become and what TIIC should do differently, and I see that as no less futile or of a "waste of time" than making a sign and standing outside of CBS. Anonymous and easier from the privacy of your own home, but no less futile.

• Members

Yes indeed, this and the excellent points AllMyShadows made... the protesters are never seen in quite the right light, and I don't mean any offense by this, but it seems like there aren't enough of the "right" people protesting. If people who actually work in the medium put their asses on the line and spoke up, or if some famous soap fans/former actors who still watch spoke out about the sad state of soaps, maybe more media outlets would take the discussion more seriously, or at least TIIC would be shamed a little.

Yes, AMS, instead of the proverbial sound bite about how much the soaps have meant to the bleeding heart fans, we need clips of composed, well-spoken folks giving the industry the business. That's one of the problems, people outside of soaps are getting the false impression that fans love and stick by their shows through thick and thin and will just happily eat [!@#$%^&*] because they're so desperate for their stories which is hardly true. If it were, the ratings wouldn't be in the crapper, folks will drop a soap, it's not that deep. And TPTB are probably resting on this false impression, it makes cancelling shows like ATWT and GL easier when they don't look like the villain and the average Joe watching CBS evening news catches a story about how they're cancelling those silly little programs your grandma and kooky trailer park people watch.

• Members

Just to clarify it's not the rally I find embarrassing - or that embarrassing - but there's something so cringeworthy about that CNN story. It's one soap viewer cliche after another. Most of that video only displayed all the reasons I stopped telling people I watch soaps.

• Members

I admit... That was the point where I went into "Us vs. Them" mode and separated myself from "that kind of" soap fan.

Right on, you guys, for protesting! It's your right as Americans to protest the cancellation of, which I agree is, a piece of an American art form.

However... shoddy organization and --> :wacko: <-- isn't my flavor.

BINGO!

• Members

If it had stayed as good as it once was, I might've considered marching with such a crowd (though I don't live in NY). But ATWT has been unwatchable to me since the end of the "Lisa Sues John" storyline in 1995. If it hadn't been for Nuke, I would not have watched it again, just as I had not done since it turned into ATWTAC.

It deserves to go off the air. And I believe it has long been CBS' intention to make it suck so hard, only 12 people would protest its cancellation.

• Members

I think CBS already has earmarked that money they would have used for ATWT for something else that have made many a shareholder happy. :lol::) I don't think that rally was embarassing but as someone said futile.

I am even more curious now after ATWT shuts down for good to see how CBS will show that they are really invested in their last 2 special shows. :lol:

Archived