Classic Movies

dragonflies

• Members

Gene Tierney wasn't the most fluid actress when she first started but she was absolutely beautiful to look at. I loved her in The Shanghai Gesture (1941). And Laura was amazing!

Barbara Stanwyck in "The Bitter Tea of General Yen" (1933) was awesome.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Barbara Stanwyck was such a solid actress. There were none of the over the top performances that later Davis and Crawford displayed.

My favorite Stanwyck movies

Double Indemnity

Sorry Wrong Number

Mo Man of Her Own

Stella Dallas

Also have a weakness for 2 of her lesser 50's flicks - Jeopardy and Witness To Murder.

Not really into 30's and 40's comedies,so I haven't got around to things like Lady Eve etc

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Just watched The Hasty Heart with Richard Todd(he was nominated for an Oscar), Patricia Neal and Ronald Reagan-he was good in this one.

It's about soldiers in an army hospital after the end of WW2.

It is an amazing movie and if you don't shed a few tears,then you have a heart of stone!

• Members

Gilda is great. I don't think Rita made another movie as good.(I'm not a fan of musicals).She and Glenn Ford teamed up again for Affair in Trinidad,which I haven't seen,but is regarded as inferior to Gilda.

Incidentally,Glenn Ford was married to Kathryn Hays (Kim ATWT)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

This movie is a "classic" for all the wrong reasons, but every soap fan should see it at least once

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15gT1D_71bg

It's brilliant.

"They drummed you right out of Hollywood so you come crawling back to Broadway! Well, Broadway doesn't go for booze and dope!"

and one of the greatest lines ever written...

"Ted Casablanca is not a fag...and I'm the dame that can prove it."

• Members

Have to mention 2 great Bette Davis pictures - Now Voyager and All About Eve.

Most of Bette's 40's flicks are worth seeing.Beyond The Forest is derided,but I find it entertaining,although Bette is miscast and goes over the top.

After All About Eve,she seemed to become Margo Channing and subsequent films were like watching Margo play the roles.

Of course,she was not helped by the quality of the projects.But she aged badly,and maybe burnt a few bridges along the way.In retrospect it seems amazing that following a triumph like Eve,it was slim pickings,but that's the Hollywood way.The same thing happens over and over to this day for female stars once they hit 40.

• Members

My favorite actresses are: Audrey hepburn, elizabeth taylor, natalie wood, Viviven Leigh, and maureen o' hara.

My favorite actors are: James Dean, James stewart, Clark Gable, john wayne, and Cary Grant.

Favorite movies: Cat on a hot tin roof, gone with the wind, Rebel without a cause, Giant, and many more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Yesterday I watched The Gay Divorcee (1934) starring Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. This movie is just good fun and would be the very first Best Original Song Oscar winner. I think I fall in love with Rogers with every movie of hers I see. :wub:

Also, lately I've been watching some of the first films ever made from people like Louis Lumiére, Georges Melies, etc ... It's sad that most of Melies films are no lost (thanks to Georges himself, :angry: )

• 2 weeks later...

Archived