Classic Movies

dragonflies

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Flying Down to Rio (1933)

This was the first movie that Rogers and Astaire starred in together. Even though they were only supporting players, they really did steal the movie from the leads. The last number with all the women on the planes was ridiculous, but I still loved it anyway. And the moment where one of them falls off only to be caught by the plane under them ... HILARIOUS!

It was also a nice change to see the romantic rival graciously give away the woman he loved and even better when he parachuted away. :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

I can't remember when my love affair with old movies began but it was probably when I was really small. Besides getting sucked into the land of Oz from watching The Wizard of Oz at least once a day, I had to watch other Judy Garland movies and that may have been the start of it. It was funny because when I would watch some of these older movies, I wouldn't realize that they were old. If the story was engaging and there were characters I could relate to, that's what made it a worth-while movie to watch again and again.

Some of my favorites include:

The Wizard of Oz

Meet Me in St. Louis

A Star is Born (w/Judy Garland & James Mason)

All This & Heaven Too

Gaslight (Yes, I like Charles Boyer)

The Portrait of Jennie

Laura

Enchantment

The Bishop's Wife

It's a Wonderful Life

Vertigo

Rear Window

Rope

Suspicion

The Phantom of the Opera (silent)

Anne of the Thousand Days

Bunny Lake is Missing

The Third Secret

The Innocents

The Chalk Garden

The King and I

The Sound of Music

My Fair Lady

Mary Poppins

Jane Eyre (w/Orson Welles and Joan Fontaine)

Rebecca

The Miracle Worker

Sunset Boulevard

To Kill a Mockingbird

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

Wuthering Heights (Lawrence Olivier)

I saw that one and really liked it! I have yet to see the original film but I've heard they took out any reference to the two leads being gay and I think that's really wrong as it was the point of the whole thing.

• Members

Give this classic a try. Most people don't know it but it is considered a pivotal thriller because of its anthology format copied so many times. Plus, so much of it is excellent.

<iframe width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jnLmW24-wbU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6jnL3snCafQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3JaBMRsptBg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

the rest is there too.

• Members

and completely different, this is one of my favorite scenes from any film ever. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence is one of my top ten movies. It was directed by the most respected and honored director of classic Hollywood, John Ford. Ford worked with the same actors again and again in supporting roles and one of his stable of character actors was GH's own Lila Q, Anna Lee. Anyway, this is a simple scene featuring two dueling character actors, John Carradine and Edmund O'Brien without any fancy camera work to help them. The scene is classic Ford: dozens of actors in one scene all doing their individual bits that add up to form a tableau that really brings the sense of place and atmosphere to life. James Stewart is the star and he doesn't even get to sit in the front row.

<iframe width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rAPxD0F6zEo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I recommend this movie to anybody and everybody.

• Members

I watched The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner on TCM On Demand a few days ago and REALLY enjoyed it. The long, beautiful running sequences, the northern accents, the half-naked British twinks, the whole anger of the lead character, the sort-of-a-surprise ending, everything. Good movie.

• Members

Love the Classic's

Some of my favorites are

The Wizard of Oz

Meet Me in St. Louis

It's a Wonderful Life

The King and I

The Sound of Music

My Fair Lady

Mary Poppins

Little Women (2 different versions Liz Taylors & Margaret O'Brien)

Oliver

Giant

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

Father of the Bride

National Velvet

White Christmas.

The Road to Movies with Bing Crosby & Bob Hope - Remember the Patty cake Patty cake scenes.

Gypsy with Natalie Wood. The only good thing about the remake was Bette Midler.

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Archived