AMC: How did Broderick do?

• Members

She did good.

Was it soap perfection? Nope. However it was a highly entertaining show, she kept ryan and greenlee apart, for the most part, she worked wonders on characters like Liza and Natalia.

But IMHO, it easiest to come in and clean up a mess. She made quite a few blunders in a short amount of time. Adam has a hispanic son? OK...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Cut and pasted from my response in the Tuesday May 11 thread:

Overall, I'd rate it a B. She came on strong with Greenlee's marriage to David but then things slowed down quite a bit. I liked how Adam & Brooke slowly realized they still loved each other as JR & Annie fell into bed, but that story could have been stretched out longer. The Damon/Tad story is working for me. Bringing Janet back short term and having Amanda fear she could inherit the mental illness is a good idea. I didn't like how suddenly Adam & Tad both had an illegitimate son and how Angie suddenly started talking about a brother I don't remember. I do think she salvaged Tad & Ryan by making them fallible humans again instead of judgmental morons, but Jesse remains the biggest dipshit in town and she really didn't know how to write for Annie. So, she was a huge improvement over Pratt and now I'm hopeful that D&D can dig deeper into all the characters.

• Members

See, this is where all of that "tweaking" [!@#$%^&*] from the end of last year really starts pissing me off. People kept talking about LB "tweaking" and "rewriting" Pratt's already written scripts in episodes that were shot before she even showed up... so why couldn't she "tweak" out this Miguel the long lost son with a simple "we found a donor who took the money and ran?" Especially if it wasn't going anywhere.

I'm not saying I disagree with Miguel being a Pratt angle. I'm not saying I agree with it being Broderick.

I'm just askin' why would she "tweak" material that she won't be credited for... but NOT tweak material that she will be credited for? So if we're gonna do "well, that was finishing up Pratt's threads" and "this was setting up for Kreizman and Swajeski's stories" then what's the point of asking discussing how SHE did?

Anyway, in my opinion, the stuff during the period she was credited for had some hits: The show became a balanced ensemble piece after 7 years of Kendall/Ryan/Greenlee; CougErica hitting a brick wall; David and Greenlee's partnership; Liza La Boudoir finally becoming Liza Colby; resolution to JR's Lymphoma story; the overall tone.

And there were some misses: Inappropriate Brooke's boring return with no fun Erica/Brooke scenes; Damon Social Issues Miller being Tad's 23rd unnecessary child; Frankie -- not only was he hardly on, but whenever he was, he had his shirt on 100% of the time... BOOOOOOOOO!; dropping Annie vs. Brooke over Tempo; Miguel; she didn't get Annie at all; don't get me started on the merry-go-round of script writers... And the show still suffers from "we're the good guys because we say so -- even though we play dirty" syndrome.

• Members

Wow, though I liked/like Broderick's return far more than R Sinclair--I agree 100%. I think it's dangerous conjecture as a fan to only like and agree with the stories and things you like when a fave writer's name is on the credits. (and I agree with his likes/dislikes except I overall liked Brooke's return--I do think the Tempo being name dropped but never even showed was a waste)

• Members

Besides the return of Brooke and the Adam exit story, I don't think any of this was her original material. I believe she was working off/tweaking whatever Pratt had been building, and essentially keeping the show's wheels spinning until D&D could take the helm. She wasn't brought in to redo the show, just to keep it running smoothly until the new writers could take the reins. Although I like Finn, I'm not sure making him Tad's son was the way to go, but I don't think that was Broderick's doing. Finn had already been signed to contract while Pratt was helming, I believe, so that says to me the plan to make him a bigger part of the canvas, i.e., Tad's son, was already in place. I suppose Broderick could've squashed that storyline, but with the logistics of the move, would they fire a young actor who had just made the move from NY to LA? The JR cancer story was also Pratt. There wasn't much movement in other parts of the show. It all seemed pretty static, with lots of exposition and repetitive scenes. The show did seem more like itself, just on a day-to-day basis. The show seems to be in a decent position and poised for good things. I'm looking forward to the Michael Nouri storyline and his possible tie to a recently departed vet. D&D have a real opportunity to have this show flourish. I hope Frons lets them do their thing and that they don't screw it up.

• Members

I enjoyed his scenes with Cyrus and Cristina. It was a nice diversion from some of the crap of GL's last year, and compared to most of the stories black men have had on soaps in recent years, it was watchable.

• Members

On a purely selfish level...she gave me some incredible David and Erica. :wub: That was a woman who understood them almost as well as Megan (irony to the max) and Agnes did.

Also to her credit, she managed to hold my attention long enough for me to move past all the bitterness I still have, to actually get lost in a full episode. Something I was sure would never happen again.

• Members

I've come to the conclusion that it was partly Pratt's doing, and partly Broderick's. Giving Tad another, illegitimate, completely-out-of-nowhere son smacks of Pratt, who probably couldn't resist the idea of Tad's son hooking up with Liza's daughter. Because I doubt he ever bothered to brush up on his AMC history, however, I also doubt it was he who decided to tie Damon to Hillary (save, of course, for any oblique mentions made of Tad and Hillary's relationship during one writers' conference or another). More than likely, that was Broderick's twist. True, the timeline and circumstances behind Damon's conception remain incredibly sketchy; and if she'd had her druthers, too, Broderick might've just dropped the idea altogether. (I've said a lot of [!@#$%^&*] about Broderick, but I could never accuse her of ignoring AMC's history so flagrantly.) However, unlike "Miguel Chandler" - which, if you noticed, was quickly brought up, then quickly forgotten - too much story depended on Damon being Tad's child; so, Broderick, as well as the rest of the writing team, probably decided it was better to make Damon's bio mom someone from Tad's past whom viewers might know and remember, rather than some "random chick" no one's ever heard of. That's probably why, for example, no steps have been taken thus far to bring Hillary back on the canvas, either w/ Carmen Thomas reprising the role, or with a recast.

• Members

In order to do that, they would've had to de-SORAS Jamie. Jamie is in JR/Marissa/Babe's age bracket.

There's a lot of history with Jamie and Babe that would've made this a not-so-great move. IF this is the direction we are going, and I've certainly considered it on more than one occasion, I think doing this with Damon is the right move. However, I'm not so sure the biological connection is needed when a foster one might do.

After all, Tad's connection to the Martins was the foster route.

Archived