ATWT: First look at actress' return

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I guess I thought P&G was saner at the time Julianne was around. Obviously these decisions have just gotten worse and worse and have led to the Hughes family barely even being a presence, as their younger generations are rarely around.

This obsession with casting gorgeous enough people in these roles is one of the things that killed soaps, especially during the 90s.

I mean if you can't see Julianne Moore as beautiful then what are you doing. It's baffling to me, especially since ATWT at that time wasn't exactly a bimbo haven, most of their younger women were naturally beautiful - Martha Byrne, Finn Carter, Jennifer Ashe, etc.

• Members

Yup I agree with your post. Look Scott D. isnt hot throbbing stud but the guy can act and had chemistry with his family and damn did he not look like Larry Bryggman. At times I actually thought Larry/Scott and Kathryn were family in real life thats how good they were.

Andrew Kavovit was another cute as a button teen. He wasnt smoking hot but cute and so felt like Barbara's and James son. I wish he would have been the one to end the role of Paul in the final episode.

• Members

Not sure if PG-suits were 'saner" at the time, but if Liebhart's rumor were true, then it just goes to show how much clout Marland had, based on, I'm sure, his credits at reviving GH with Monty, and the Emmy that he won during his stint at GL. Not all HWs have this say on casting. As a contrast, in the late 80s, SOD had a feature article on this very issue, and one example was how Pam Long (during her HW tenure at GL) fought tooth and nail to pick a slightly quirky newbie for the role of Samantha Marler, which eventually went to Suzy Cote. The opinions of the "suits" were that Cote was a "safer" choice and more consistent with the archetypal soap ingenues.

As far as Julianne Moore was concerned, I hesitate to get into any discussion on beauty or why PG suits had doubts about her--though I believe Moore is ravishingly beautiful! As someone who was watching ATWT at the time, I could only tell you that yes, I knew what I was watching was utterly riveting and special, but it was rather depressing to me that the soap press at the time (mid-80s) would only look to Kristian Alfonso--with all due respect to the actress--as the yardstick of female beauty by which all others must measure up. The fact that Moore went on to have a stellar movie career speaks volumes of the myopia of daytime executives.

• Members

I've never been able to wrap my head around this idea that Scott DeF wasn't attractive enough for the show. Really?! He was an awkward-looking kid, but by the time of his first departure and then when he returned, he was a pretty nice piece, IMO.

And it's absolutely ridiculous that Andy's not gonna be here for Bob and Kim's anniversary. It's nice to think that maybe TPTB want to surprise us, but come on. Dead-beat parents don't do surprise parties for their kids.

• Members

Here's a thought: if Julianne Moore were starting out today, in this current soap climate, how do you think she would've fared under the intense scrutiny of TPTB as well as fans online? Would she still be as successful as Frannie and Sabrina?

• Members

I think she would have probably been like Jennifer Landon, an interesting presence who was put in a lot of poor stories and had a following but also got to the point where a lot of people were sick of her. I actually wonder if Cleo was some idiotic homage to Frannie/Sabrina.

• Members

Apparently, the minister who married Bob & Kim misrepresented himself; and Bob & Kim, who once conceived a child behind her sister (and his wife's) back, have been living in sin all these some-odd years.

Whatever, Goutman, that [!@#$%^&*] wasn't funny when it happened to Tom & Alice Horton on DAYS .

Archived