Bristish Soap Awards 2010

Bright Eyes

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Eastenders usually wins a lot of stuff.

I just hope Maggie Jones wins for Best Comedy Performance.

And I want someone from Emmerdale to win Sexiest Male. That show has so many gorgeous men. I am tired of men like Sean Slater and Jack Branning from EE winning. They have nice bodies, yes, but the faces, and the charisma, or lack thereof, not so much.

I wish Amanda Donohoe could get something but I know that probably won't happen.

For Eastenders, I wish Jake Wood could finally get an award.

I hope Sarah's death on Hollyoaks gets Best Exit.

• Members

Looks like the nominations are out.

http://www.britishsoapawards.tv/

Apparently Jake Wood wasn't even up :( I am going to tell myself that people are just jealous of his fine posterior.

I'm happy for Adam Woodyatt, and the Masoods.

Lots of great actors from Emmerdale but they have little chance. Ugh.

I don't think a lot of the photos they picked for sexy are all that sexy.

• Members

Here are my choices, based on my limited knowledge and bias!

Sexiest Male: JAMES SUTTON (Ryan Lamb, EMMERDALE)

Sexiest Female: MICHELLE KEEGAN (Tina McIntyre, CORONATION STREET)

Villain of the Year: LARRY LAMB (Archie Mitchell, EASTENDERS)

Best Actor: JAMES SUTTON (Ryan Lamb, EMMERDALE)

Best Actress: LACEY TURNER (Stacey Branning, EASTENDERS)

Best Soap: EMMERDALE

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I think you have to register an e-mail address and then it takes you to the voting. You don't actually have to vote though, you can just look at the nominations, click a category, then go to the next page. It doesn't submit until the very end.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I think it's something like March to March of each soap year.

Corrie did pull off a surprise win at the National TV Awards a few months back, which is also voted on by the public, so who knows if they can do it at the BSA's. But I doubt it, EastEnders has too much buzz from the past year. They also won the Inside Soap Award for Best Soap

Lacey Turner did win at the National TV Awards, and at the Inside Soap Awards so I'm more than guessing she'll win at the BSA's and pull a three-peat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM3us2poApI&feature=related

Kym Marsh needs to sit her ass down. <_<

• Members

Aside from Lacey I'm not even entirely sure what Eastenders would really deserve winning this year. I guess I'd give them Best Show, but after the true hatchet job they did on Archie's character, complete with the poorly written second return where he sat around whining to Peggy while Sam danced on tables and whined about Ricky, not to mention the generally mediocre "mystery" of his death (which basically amounted to random scenes of characters standing around looking at each other before one of them was carted off to jail for five minutes), I'd love some sort of hilarious surprise and Tony Gordon or Sally Spode wins.

• Members

Didn't Tony Gordon win Villain of the Year last year? He could do it again. It depends, but the Archie stuff was very well-received by the public. Also, Larry Lamb won the Inside Soap Award, which like the most of the BSA categories, is voted on by the public.

EastEnders had a more buzzed about 2009 than Corrie, that's why I think they'll win Best Soap, unless Corrie surprises like they did at the National TV awards.

No way in hell do Emmerdale, Hollyoaks, or Doctors stand any chance in the Best Soap category, or the Best Actor and Actress category really...

But remember when Hollyoaks surprised everyone in 2008 by winning the most awards, barring Best Soap, of course? I don't know if a soap that isn't EastEnders or Corrie could pull that off now.

• Members

Oh I agree that there isn't a lot else that is likely to win, although I wish Emmerdale would, I know that isn't likely, it's not a soap which gets a lot of heavy voting. I just wonder if I'm going to look at most of the awards and think "Wow, Eastenders sure deserved that." I guess you could say the same about Corrie. It's just that thanks to their odd choices for some nominations, they probably guaranteed that some poor actors get stuff they don't deserve, like the year that Robert Kasinzky, whose only talent was looking constipated, won Best Actor. I really hope that Adam Woodyatt or the guy who plays Masood wins, instead of Scott Maslen, who is competent but that's about it.

It would be ridiculous if I said the Archie murder mystery wasn't a big hit, I just wish his return had been better. He sat around for months repeating the same one or two scenes and moping, and then he became this true monster, a baby killer and a rapist and child molester, to the point where the story became both very unpleasant as well as very empty, since they were just stalling every week until the live reveal.

• Members

Emmerdale, like Hollyoaks, also seems to have stigma attached to it, where, despite quality, it's always considered lower and lesser than Corrie and EastEnders. The show is always criticized for something. It's probably because more people generally watch Corrie and EastEnders than the other soaps, but who knows...

I know I've always found Emmerdale a bit too stogy and cold for my tastes, even now. Its rural setting and the fact the show has a glitzy and somewhat glamorous undertone is a weird combination to me. Though I won't claim they're any good right now, I always feel more welcomed when I watch Corrie and EastEnders, they're easier to follow for me and their urban settings are generally played up and truer to their identities than I find the rural setting of Emmerdale to be.

It's weird when most of the winners are voted on by the public. This way, they'll use the excuse, even if the actor or story sucks, "well, the public chose this, so it must be good or popular."

I think the most interesting categories are the ones voted on by the panel of judges, not the the ones voted on by the public.

• Members

That's true. I don't think they're all that glitzy at the moment though (that might be down to budget). Eastenders tends to remind me more of the show that sees itself as a Dynasty knockoff.

I know last year the panel gave a lot of awards to The Doctors, knowing the public never would. I don't know who they will support this year. If its based on quality I don't really think a lot of Eastenders or Corrie would be their choice, but who knows.

I wish I could remember more of the nominations...

• Members

I think with EastEnders, the working-class setting is in everywhere you look, and for the most part, they've never really cast conventionally good-looking people on that show. On Emmerdale, the show has hyper-stylized aesthetics for such a rural show, and though there's a host of working-class people, the majority of them are so gorgeous and conventional-looking, it's hard to look past it sometimes. In a sense, just by looks alone, EastEnders looks more on the surface to be a show about real working-class people than Emmerdale.

The rape storyline on Doctors had a lot of buzz and critical acclaim in 2008. Were their any stories that had anything like that last year?

I wonder if Aaron's gay storyline on Emmerdale is eligible or if they'll give it a chance next year.

Archived