Bristish Soap Awards 2010

Bright Eyes

• Members

It's strange the panel would pick the Who Killed Archie? There were better stories last year. That story was a mess and just resorted to having half the cast arrested at random. Stacey's bipolar was better, I thought they might go for that, since the purpose of the panel seems to be rewarding stories that aren't as mainstream.

I don't know if this show has ever had someone win two awards on the same night. I guess Lacey could be the first. Given how miserable she is at these awards shows I wonder if she'll be there.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think any story had any major critical acclaim or buzz last year, but the Archie storyline was certainly the most buzzed about story in the press last year. But if they want to be socially relevant, they'll probably go with Corrie's alcoholism story or Emmerdale's gay self-loathing story.

Brian Capron won 5 in 2003! 'Best Actor', 'Best Exit', 'Villain of the Year', 'Most Spectacular Scene', and 'Best Storyline' for Corrie's Richard Hillman stuff. Corrie also picked up Best Soap that year, on the back of that story really.

_39203139_brian.jpg

That Hillman story was classic and a national event in the UK.

• Members

5, that's crazy! I wonder if that typecast him in the long run, I haven't seen him on a lot, aside from Strictly, where he was the first out.

I know a lot of the Chryed fans are annoyed because they thought that might get a panel nomination. I guess I can see why, as the topic of the story is something that is daring, even if the execution wasn't, IMHO. I thought of the Who Killed Archie? as something that would be more likely to be brought up when they win Best Soap.

I'm hoping Emmerdale will sneak in there with a few of these. I'd actually like to see them win something voted on by fans, but that doesn't seem likely (the best chance might be Jimmy/Nicola), so something from the panel would be good. Last year they only got the one where Victoria fell through the ice. I'd love to see Danny win Dramatic Performance, since Lacey already has actress locked up, but I know that may not be likely.

I wonder if they didn't put Sarah's death in Best Exit because they knew it wouldn't win a public vote. I thought that was a brilliant exit, so real in a way few soap deaths are, so I am hoping it wins the Stunt.

• Members

Unfortunately, if you aren't Corrie or EastEnders, you're always at a disadvantage when it comes to the categories voted on by the public. Unless there's a surprise, like in 2008 when Hollyoaks went home with 8 awards.

I wouldn't be surprise if Lacey wins both Best Actress and Best Dramatic Performance. She's the darling of the British soap industry, deservedly so really, and she had tons of critical and press acclaim for her performance during the bipolar storyline.

Sarah's death wss great and the only good thing on Hollyoaks last year, they really deserve the stunt award for it. I too was puzzled as to why it wasn't up for Best Exit, but whatever.

• Members

Since she's leaving soaps and probably won't be back, and has already won so many awards, and hates awards shows, I'm hoping they might just give her one award. She does deserve that, certainly, she was superb throughout the year.

I really do think that they knew Sarah wouldn't win Best Exit and they want it to win something, although watch me say that and then Stunt goes to something like Doctors.

• Members

Well I am all for Danny winning something because he has been amazin but like everyone else I dont know if they have a chance espically with fans voting but hey the guy from Hollyoaks won years I did not think he had a chance.

I would like to know who is up for favorite female, male and villian this year. I cant see thee catergories. I am just rally curious.

• Members

You mean Chris Fountain? Didn't he appear on some competition show the year he won? Certainly he had a bigger public profile than most that year.

Though, Carl should be happy that Emmerdale got nominated in every category this year, well they're in all the 9 categories listed above. Corrie and EastEnders have one less nomination with 8.

You find these categories out the day of the show. They usually show a montage and name the top contenders voted on by the fans...

• Members

I'm happy, but then I remember when Hollyoaks was nominated in every category and won nothing.

I'd just like some surprise wins, and a win for Aaron's story. I'd love to see a big shock and Lyndon wins over Marc Elliott and his usual weepy faces.

• Members

On the flip side, didn't Hollyoaks have the most nominations in 2008 too, and they ended up winning 8 awards that night? Emmerdale probably won't be that lucky though.

I hear John Patridge won't be able to attend due to his commitments with Over The Rainbow. :lol:

If Aaron's story doesn't win anything, it'll probably still be eligible next year, since it's still going on.

• Members

I didn't know they had the most in 2008. I guess that year they were also helped by the teen voting -- the show had a huge buzz that year which they weren't able to duplicate afterwards.

I wonder how many stories win awards or are up for them two years running. It seems like stories only tend to cover one year most of the time. Aaron's story has been so strong this year, I'm not sure where it will be next year.

I wonder how much the panel really cares for EE's serious stories anyway. I remember all the hype over the Whitney/Tony story and then the panel didn't give it anything.

• Members

Here are some photos of a woman from each of the 5 soaps, posing together. They do this every year (none for the men this year I guess). Amello, your favorite, Sammy Winward, is here. She looks good in the 40s style clothes. Michelle Keegna looks gorgeous too. Preeya also looks great. The Top Model judges would have a field day with the poses and facial expressions from Cheryl on Hollyoaks...

http://www.walfordwebforums.co.uk/prod/topic/10725-british-soap-awards-2010/page__view__findpost__p__334087

• Members

I guess it must have been? Either that or 2008.

The colors in that photo, and the women look washed out, and the suits on the men...Ryan Thomas is one of the most beautiful men ever and he looks frumpy.

I'm glad they did the women up better this year. I just wonder where all the good men have gone from the photos...Bonnie Tyler was on Hollyoaks, she needs to find some heroes.

Archived