Bristish Soap Awards 2010

Bright Eyes

• Members

Some video interviews from the red carpet.

Katherine Kelly, who was graciously rooting for Lacey Turner to win:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Danny Miller and Dominic Brunt:

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Craig Gazey:

Scott Maslen:

Marc Elliott and Preeya:

Doctors star Elizabeth-Dermot Walsh:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKYwrTkvV1s&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKYwrTkvV1s&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKYwrTkvV1s&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No one throw anything at me, but I wasn't ever blown away by Lacey Turner. Granted I've only been watching since October, so that probably has something to do with it. I think she's a good actress, who knows how to play a lot of material. But there wasn't any times I watched her and thought, "OMG she's WONDERFUL." Congratulations to her none the less. :)

As for the rest of the EastEnders stuff, I don't know. I thought the 'Who Killed Archie?' storyline went on way to long, and the live episode was good, but nothing special.

Don't even get me start on how Owen is STILL buried in the middle of the square and NO one has even batted any eye.

• Members

Yeah, Lacey hasn't had much to do over the past couple of months. She's been backburner and and when she's on, it's always about Stacey debating whether or not to tell Ryan he's the father of her baby.

But she was thrilling in the bipolar story, which surely won her those two awards. I don't think any other actress came close last year in soaps with the work Lacey did in that story. She earned the Actress and Dramatic Performance awards, IMO. Probably the most deserving of the EastEnders wins.

• Members

I have a friend who lives in England...She went to them this year! Or maybe just her mom did, Im not sure. She posted like 100 photos from before the show, like the redcarpet or whatever, with a lot of the stars. Ill save them to my computer and try to upload some of them here, just cause they're pretty cool.

• Members

Their reactions don't seem that bad to me. A few of them are just annoyed. It's not one of those Kym Marsh reactions.

I think what must gall, and it bothers me too and I don't even work on the show, is that the panel is there to give awards which the public might not give, and instead the panel also goes for the easiest possible choices, and choices that weren't deserving. I don't think Who Killed Archie? deserved any awards. The story was made up as it went along (the details Stacey gave to Max about the killing did not even match what was shown onscreen), and then completely dropped. If that was a fan vote, fine, but why was this decided by a panel who is supposed to be above fans?

What they're basically saying is, we're supposed to help all the soaps, yet we see your soap as worthless, and we're going to hand out awards to Eastenders (and some random people from the Doctors -- which also happens to be a BBC show) no matter what the quality of their show is, no matter what you may do to improve your show.

Apparently even some of the soap insider people, like Sharon Marshall and Kris Green, were surprised Danny Miller won nothing and said others at the awards had said the same.

But hopefully the show will have more of a chance next year. I'd rather they get more viewers (although that may not be likely at this point, who knows), that's probably what helps more than awards.

Lacey Turner is a wonderful actress but I don't know why they needed to give her both awards. Unless it's as a kiss up to her, or a consolation prize for how her character was ruined.

• Members

Speaking of Kym, she was looking quite butchy at the award show. I really hope Corrie gets rid of her ass...

I'm surprised Doctors won those two awards, but it's such a small show with probably the least buzz amongst the soaps, so it's probably seen as "the little engine that could."

Both Corrie and EastEnders are or will be in transition this year with nothing particularly grand happening, which could help other soaps next year, but maybe not...

I think Lacey was deserving of both awards, out of all the EastEnders wins, I can't fault them for giving her those awards. It wasn't like she wasn't worthy of either.

• Members

I've heard a lot of people say that about how he should have won, even one of the panelists basically said it (http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/we-love-telly/2010/05/british-soap-awards-emmerdale.html), so it doesn't bother me if he says this at some after show party. He's not slamming anyone else, which Kym Marsh tends to veer towards. The whole fake modesty thing would look kind of...fake.

As for Lacey, the problem is that the last time she had any good material was last fall, and she's already won about 20 awards. I think Best Actress could have been a strong enough prize for her, it's not like she and the industry don't know how talented she is, she had almost two dozen awards to prove it.

Even some of the Doctors fans have said that one of those awards wasn't deserved. When they win that many awards 2 years in a row, I wonder whether it's seen as the little engine that could or if it's about the BBC.

• Members

Why would it be about the BBC though, since ITV airs this award show?

In terms of overall panel wins over the years, Coronation Street has won more panel awards than EastEnders, though EastEnders has more awards overall.

What awards did they think Danny would win, Best Actor or Dramatic Performance? Lacey was always going to be hard to beat for that Dramatic Performance award, IMO. Danny could have been her closest competition, but she also had a lot going for her with the bipolar story.

Scott Maslen's Best Actor win is hilarious and purely because of the fan vote. Had he won Dramatic Performance ( :lol: ), I would think something was suspect.

• Members

I think the speculation is because some think the panel members have BBC ties. A lot of people haven't commented on The Doctors at all, they just go on the statements that the panel doesn't watch Emmerdale. So if that's true, and they don't even make an effort, yet they go out of their way to support one show that won't win fan support, but they don't make any effort with another.

I think some assumed that they might give Danny Dramatic Performance since it was obvious that Lacey was going to win Best Actress. Her work in the bipolar story was excellent but was also brief and has been completely forgotten about by the show, so I don't even know if she won based on that or just being Lacey Turner. Not to mention that the panel didn't have a problem with ignoring the work from Patsy Palmer or Shona McGarty last year, so why this had to be rewarded this year, it does confuse me. It just feels like if the main choice is between Eastenders and Emmerdale, apparently it had to go to Eastenders.

I don't know. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me either way. I just think it's bizarre that they would not give Emmerdale anything, even when very questionable choices won instead. It seems like they just did not want Emmerdale to get anything; whether that was their intention or not, I don't know.

Archived