Plastic Surgery of the Soap Stars

• Members

No. If Aniston had said something like this, I would have rolled my eyes and tuned out because when Aniston speaks, I rarely compute what words of wisdom she is bestowing on my poor, soulless self. I'm too busy watching her touch, flick and groom her hair.

Joan Collins was asked which Hollywood starlets she rates as beautiful in an interview. That was the purpose of the interview, to glean her opinion. Like many people her age, she waxed lyrical about "the good old days" when stars were truly stunning (and ITA about Ava Gardner) compared with today's crop. She singled out some she felt were pretty and those she viewed as basically cute. How is that vulgar and uneducated? Millions of us pass that kind of value judgment every day. I guess if I were an aggrieved Jennifer Aniston fan wanting to protect mah girl then I would be sort of miffed, but it's hardly a horrendous, bile-filled personal attack on JC's part.

As for vulgar and uneducated peasant woman, well, Joan's antecedents may be from rural Russia, but she grew up quite comfortably and went to a fairly well-regarded private school. I would certainly rate her level of education over that of most of the people we see on TV or in the movies today.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So the line is a bunch of bull? If Aniston said it, you would be amazed and demanded an apology, whereas when this old hag speaks, you find it pure brilliance.

Joan Collins needs to shut up. Even though Aniston might not be pretty. But it's not on her, with that huge pumpkin-like head and the jaws of a horse, to say it.

• Members

Aniston wouldn't say it. She's too worried about what people think of her, what Oprah's audience would make of her. What? America's Sweetheart is judging people's looks? That's so mean! Maybe she's not the relatable gal we thought she was.

I wouldn't demand that she apologize if she were the one making that statement. :lol: It would confirm my opinion of her -- that she is bitchy and judgmental, but hides behind a facade of being the poor, victimized good girl whose cheery self can't seem to land a nice guy. Aww. Poor Jen! Then I would be somewhat impressed that she cut the BS and actually started saying what she really thought for a change, instead of consulting Huvane, her PR team and a focus group on what to say and how to act.

But JC isn't America's rapidly aging Sweetheart, she is a 70-something, wig-wearing, bitchy diva who has based her career on playing bitches. She is one, darling, and doesn't care what you think of her. It's not like her "career," such as it is, is going to suffer for it.

And if JC was stunningly beautiful, would you then allow her to pass judgment on Beautiful People? :lol: Yeah, I don't think so.

• Members

I wouldn't "allow" it because it's vulgar and uncouth. But I think she does care about what people think because she can't relax and retire, disappear. Which is why her inferiority and silly idea that she is as beautiful as the Hollywood divas of yore won't let her keep quiet.

But I wouldn't care if she didn't care. LOL.

Dumb idiotic hag who makes a spectacle of herself.

• Members

LOL... there are many who fall into that camp. *cough* Liz Taylor *cough*

As far as who's considered attractive, it's so bloody subjective that no one can make an authoritative claim. Some are glam, some are not, but neither holds the sway when it comes to who strikes the fancy of the public. Personally I've always preferred the Jennifer Anistons to the Joan Collins of the world. I've always wondered about women who take 3 hours to prepare for a walk in public ....

• Members

I tend to see them both as putting facades to the audience. Joan puts on a glam persona, Jennifer tries to be the girl next door. They've both likely had surgeries and they both know how to play the game. If I lean towards Joan it's because she entertains me and she has made a career based on her appeal, not on her marriage, and that's something I haven't seen from Jennifer.

I will say that Jennifer has been smart to not go as far into the procedures as Courtney Cox has. It's tough sometimes to look at her.

• Members

Exactly - subjective.

In all honesty, I don't think a woman's face is even truly interesting until you can see her life in some of the lines. Unfortunately plastic surgery is removing that story before these women even begin telling it and they look like circus freaks all too quickly.

I remember an interview with Demi Moore well over a decade ago and they were talking about her stretch marks. The interviewer was commenting on how she got rid of her marks and Demi glibly told her it was called "air brushing". If I recall correctly Demi then went on to say she earned every one of those marks and was proud of them - they spoke of her children and how they came into being. I can honestly say as a mother of four, when I look at my stretch marks I hear that attitude in the back of my head and every line says "I really wanted you", "I'm so glad you're here".

Recently I've been going on a bit of a Mary McDonnell obsession and watching everything of hers I can find including interviews. One scene in particular that strikes me is in BSG the first time her character is dying of cancer and she's lying on the gurney. Her face is empty except for the laugh lines deeply etched beside her eyes. I'm fascinated by that and wonder what it says about an almost 60-year old woman that the deepest marks on her face are from laughing - not frown lines or worry lines. I think that's an amazing statement about who she is as a person.

In this world where plastic surgery is almost expected of actresses as they age, what does their face really mean in the end? Regardless of whether you prefer glam or girl-next-door, nothing of substance is left to tell us who they are as people.

Archived