Could the Leno/O'Brien fiasco hurt DAYS?

• Members

Days, with B&B with a lead in, would never fall below a 2.0 and, I'm guesinng, would carry a 2.3. While this isn't amazing, it is better than ATWT ratings for the last year. Personally, I think B&B is weak and a Y&R, Days, B&B pairing would do well. Days does almost as well as B&B WITHOUT a strong lead in so my guess is that it would rank higher than B&B in the slot following Y&R. Y&R followed by Days would be a killer tag team!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I could see this. Not this year because people would be too angry if one canceled soap is immediatelly replaced by another but if DAYS fullfils the requirements they have for an automatic pickup and survivies till 2011 I think it´s viable variant. Brad Bell said very bluntly everybody in the business knew P/G was losing money on their soaps so they did zero effort to save them. But for Sony it´s still viable product and they have good relationship with CBS. And replacing a struggling gameshow after year will make zero controversy.

And there is also the thing with current DAYS studio which NBC wants to sell and the new owner demolish. So DAYS will have to move anyway.

Guest dc cubs

Yes, there is an option with the current Days contract that ends in September, 2010. The contract would extend to March, 2011 if certain criteria are met. It was never publicly stated what that criteria is but it probably has to do with ratings and/or staying under budget.

• Members

I like the idea of Days joining CBS it works and would destroy ABC line up it would put the top 3 soaps on one network. also don't forget Korday's long relationship with the Bell family infact he owns a small piece of the Y&R so thats another factor that might come into play. im sure someone where Barbra Bloom is licking her chops waiting for Days to become available.

Sony + Korday + the Bells = Days jumping to CBS come september

• Members

No one thought that AMC would move to L.A. either.

Soaps may be a dying genre, but that doesn't mean Brian Frons and Barbara Bloom won't do whatever they have to do to save their jobs. Having multiple properties on the lineup that need oversight keeps them employed. And especially given DAYS' ratings rebound, the show looks attractive to CBS and especially ABC. No, ABC wouldn't own DAYS, but that doesn't mean Frons can't make suggestions to Corday.

A show like ATWT or GL, I could see you saying that. But DAYS has the support of a production company that makes money off of its domestic and international distribution and has a solid, third place lead above all its other competitors.

• Members

Oh there is no question but for Frons, I truly believe with the success of The View, if he could package it up and air it or 3 hybrids in place of AMC, OLTL, and GH on daytime I have no doubt he would. And Bloom has already replaced GL with gameshows. Their job is to oversee CBS and ABC daytime and if something more profitable and hot would come along, I've no doubt they'd ditch the soaps in a red hot minute. I think fortunately for the soaps, aside from a popular show here and there, nothing universal has really come to surface to replace these shows so they must still make a tidey profit for their networks. In retrospect I thought Days might stand a chance of being picked up by CBS but after thinking more about it and Les Moonves's comments about soaps, I don't see it. But I am really going to be interested on how Real Housewives does in syndication during the day.

All said, I don't think Days is going anywhere. NBC has a mess on their hands just working to revitalize Primetime and LateNight.

• Members

There will be a lot of great stuff on TV...eventually. Right now we are seeing so many shifts: Viewing habits, DVR, great cable shows, the internet, video games with adverts. Change is coming, once the industry gets a grip. I do think broadcast will look more and more like cable in the years to come with shows airing 2 or more times a day. Imagine in ABC showed prime time repeats during the day and the money they would save. Eventually, we will build our own Networks made up of the shows we like all from different channels. You might right now DVR House, Days, 30 Rock and Dexter and watch that on a Monday night. Things will become even more complex in the years to come.

Archived