Could the Leno/O'Brien fiasco hurt DAYS?

• Members

NBC the network represents 5 percent of NBCU's overall revenue stream yet is the face to NBCU for most people. The other business units are successful aside from I expect NBC Sports which is going to lose a ton of money on the Olympics this year. I doubt Zucker is going anywhere.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest dc cubs

My guess is a decision would be announced by early April. In one of the past SOD previews (I think it was the fall one) Corday mentioned that Days ratings would be closely looked at from that point until March. Days contract ends in September so an announcement in April gives them about six months to wrap things up if it was canceled.

• Members

Yep. They'll cancel because it's not making enough of a profit for them, they aren't interested, and they have something less expensive to replace it with. I was pretty sure I remember now I think Real Housewives that Bravo show was supposed to be coming to NBC Daytime 2010 sometime. Just don't know when.

• Members

NBC will keep days as long as its turning a profit.

This situation doesnt hurt days. In fact NBS overall failing while Days is thriving might be a good thing for it.

We know NBC is really only looking at DAYS' rating from.. what was it? Oct-March? So far so good.

As for when we will hear one way or another, i dont know. But the show will know in April.

• Members

After the Conan disaster, NBC isn't going to mess around with anything for a while. They will take no risks until the Comcast deal is done. I still think their is a secret deal between Sony and CBS: Les Moonves said 'only the special soaps' will survive'. If he gets Days, CBS will have all of the special soaps! Also, it is odd that CBS has made no mention of a World Turns replacement. Not even a rumor aside from a Price is Right move. That would still leave them with one hour empty. Y&R, B&B, Days: the untimate lineup and the death of ABC daytime.

If NBC was smart, they would repeat their cable hits in the Days slot. I bet the ratings would jump if some USA, Bravo fare made its way to daytime.

• Members

I think you're onto something. I don't see NBC messing around after this fiasco. If DAYS turns a profit, which of course it does because it's run on a very small budget and is the #3 rated soap and tops in the demos, it's one of NBC's few successes. That said, the mismanagement at this network is revolting, so who knows what that Jeff Zucker will do.

I do think that CBS is circling thanks to the shows relationship with Sony. As you point out, not one word has been uttered about a replacement for ATWT. Not one word. If I was in Sony's position, I would be demanding a 2 year deal from NBC, for I think that's what CBS would be offering since that's what it's working with for the Bell soaps, incidentally, if DAYS joined CBS, the 2 year deal would make even more sense since it would expire the exact same time as the Y&R and B&B deals.

Y&R, B&B and DAYS, as a set lineup, would slaughter ABC Daytime.

Of course, this is all wishful thinking and I won't be surprised if NBC cancels it. That's just how that ridiculous network rolls. If anything, at least if NBC cancels it for this coming September, at least it goes out on a real high note for the show hasn't been this good in a decade.

• Members

I would sooooooooo become a regular viewer of DOOL under this scenario

NBC canceling doesn't necessarily threaten DOOL if (as you say) they could find a home at CBS. But I wonder if NBC could jeopardize in a different way -- jack up the rent sky-high @ Burbank Studios if DOOL leaves. But I guess (as AMC shows), it might work to CBS' advantage then to move DOOL to Radford (where Passions used to tape). Plus NBC wouldn't jack up the rent, since they still need/want the regular production $$.

But now you have me channeling this wish: DOOL leaves NBC. The only reason I'm hesitant is because I think every time a soap switched networks, it suffered a precipitous ratings drop...and died not too long after. SFT. EON. Probably loads of others....

• Members

Y&R, B&B and DAYS would be unstoppable if you ask me. That lineup offers something for everyone and as each show is not too different from the others it could hold onto viewers with ease, contrast that to AMC, OLTL and GH, jarring differences in tone, cast makeup and writing...the only thing the ABC soaps have in common is that they're all crap, though AMC seems to be turning the corner (and it isn't as if Y&R is hot sh*t these days, it is terrible).

The way DAYS is filmed now if NBC messed around with the Burbank studios lot they'd jump ship to anywhere, DAYS can be packed and unpacked like a circus tent nowadays. I'm willing to bet it could share studio space at CBS Television City with Y&R and B&B since those two shows go dark one day a week, DAYS would operate on those sound stages on the dark days and film on one day when Y&R and B&B are taping, it wouldn't be hard, just a bit of coordination.

As you rightly point out Mark, soaps, thus far, have failed when they've jumped networks. But I think because DAYS is all by itself on NBC it could be the soap to buck that trend. DAYS fans are the most loyal soap fans there are, ever were or ever will be. If CBS promoted the jump, which would be insane for them not to do, it could be a big success.

It would go against what Les Moonves had talked about ('the days of the client owned soap are over'), but as we know, these execs say one thing and plan another.

If I was NBC, I'd be preparing a 2 year renewal offer to DAYS, no cuts, no raises, just a continuance of what they have because what they've got going right now is something pretty excellent.

• Members

Days moving to CBS is a completely different scenario than previous network switches.

When Edge moved to ABC in 75,it was low rated and moved into a timeslot that was not strong for ABC and following GH,which was low rated at thae time.

SFT's move to NBC,put it back to it's original timeslot,but up against AMC and Y&R,2 top rating shows.Again,NBC had never been strong on NBC and the lead in was The Doctors,which was failing.

Days is currently rating well,would follow the #1 and #2 shows and go up against the lowest rated show,so chances of success on CBS are strong.

• Members

The Real Housewives is being syndicated by NBCU and will air on a number of Network-owned locals following Days. It will be up for bidding, however, so, in theory, could end up on any channel. Likely, it will air on the majority of NBC stations but, like Regis and Kelly in some markets, it could show up anywhere. For example, WRGB/CBS 6 in the capital region of NY state is home to Regis because the local ABC station (WTEN 10)is way too cheap to buy rights.

I'm not a fan of Real House but bet the ratings will be great and come up close to those of OLTL.

Archived