Shonda Rhimes Again!

Sylph

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know primetime will never produce a serial as brilliant as Peyton Place, Knots Landing or Dallas. What I mean is that the two shows were completely[/i[ different, but the ties between both shows were strong and made sense. I'm not saying Grey's is anywhere near what Dallas was. Certainly not, lol. But I watch Private Practice and I see basically the same show. Did it have to be set in a hospital? Maybe another profession could be the focus, or even just the private lives of Addison and her LA friends with work not playing a major role. Just seems so uncreative like Dynasty II: The Colbys. Granted those two seasons were better than what Dynasty was putting out, but it was still a carbon copy. Just twenty years back when Alexis (now Sable) and Blake (now Jason) were still married and Alexis was played by a better actress.

• Members

Pretty much. Private Practice really is no different/better than a billionth L&O, CSI, or NCIS. KL was different from Dallas, both of the Melrose Places are different from both of the 90210s. Angel was different from Buffy, The Facts of LIfe was different from Diff'rent Strokes, Good Times was different from Maude, and so on and so on. I always figured the difference between GA and PP would be that GA was in a hospital and that PP was in a private practice, but...not so much. That worked on Marcus Welby in the 1970s because his practice was in a more suburban/rural part of town, and they'd often have episodes in the big city hospital.

• Members

Are there any shows that feature poor people? Not dirt poor people but simply people that have to work for a living? All I see are doctors, lawyers and forensic whatevers. Other than Friday Night Lights, I can't think of one show where the characters ever discuss not having enough money.

• 10 months later...

Archived