Producers Pick Their Show's finest Moments

• Members

More memories...

Maybe some memories of your own and questions/discussions

Gail Kobe - GL

“What I'm really moved by are moments that tear my heart out. Kurt and Mindy's wedding was beautiful,everyone was happy and for a change not concerned with conflict-people being nice and beautiful and love prevailing. The costume designer and art director were wonderful – everything came together. Krista's(Mindy)growth has been amazing. I loved when Mindy met Kyle in the snow and didn't know who he was. In Reva's suicide attempt,we all wanted to protect Kim and we all rallied to make that work. Then there was the prison break with Beth and Lujack and I loved the prison talent show. One of the most touching moments was with Sally,Billy and HB in the graveyard.”

Paul Rauch- OLTL

“The day that Jackie Smith (ABC daytime VP) and I decided to dramatize the Viki/Niki story which capitulated OLTL from #8 to #2 in a 12 month period-our highest rating since 1981-on a storyline dealing with core characters,thus validating the new vision of OLTL”

Al Rabin – DOOL

“Bo and Hope's wedding.”

Jacqueline Babbin – AMC

“The way we handled Kate's death. That funeral scene had to be one of the finest in the past year”.

Wes Kenney – Y&R

“One of the finest moments for me was at the presentation of the Technical Emmys in which the crew and makeup people won,reflecting the camaraderie and family feeling we have on the show. One of the best things we've ever done was when Tyrone revealed to Alana that he was black,following the news that her father had just been killed. The performances of Phil Morris and Amy Gibson made it a fine moment indeed.'

Robert Calhoun – ATWT

Calhoun recalled a story and a particular episode.The wedding of Bob and Kim marked the return of the Hughes family who were missing from the action. Don MacLoughlin(Chris) and Helen Wagner(Nancy)returned to the sjhow on a permanent basis. Restoring these senior members of the Hughes family to the cast,Calhoun felt,emphasised the strong emphasis on family values held by ATWT.

His other moment was an episode that aired in January 1986,in which the audience learned that Douglas Cummings was Kim's secret admirer. He had more calls on that episode than on any other. Calhoun thinks the Marie Kovak murder mystery perfectly illustrates the craftmanship of headwriter Douglas Marland.

To follow...Dallas,RH,Cap,AW,LOV, FC,SB,SFT

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Can't wait to hear LOV's--thanks for these

I wish Kate's funeral was on youtube--Agnes was very proud of it too I know.

"Paul Rauch- OLTL

“The day that Jackie Smith (ABC daytime VP) and I decided to dramatize the Viki/Niki story which capitulated OLTL from #8 to #2 in a 12 month period-our highest rating since 1981-on a storyline dealing with core characters,thus validating the new vision of OLTL” "

Interesting that it was his idea, not Peggy O'SHea's (well Rauch likes to take credit so who knows). Also interesting that this beloved story did I suppose validate his new vision of OLTL--but it was all downhill (though at first slowly) from there...

• Members

The Mindy/Kurt wedding is so breathtaking (and that's just John Bolger in his prince outfit!). The story itself is a muddle but for once style wins out.

I agree with them about Kate's funeral. It's done with real class and respect. They even brought back Tara, in spite of Karen Gorney not returning. It's all such a contrast to garbage like Stuart's memorial service. And the montage at the end is perfection.

• Members

Wow, looking at Charles, Mona, Langley, and Phoebe talking, and then Myrtle...

The camera guy kinda goofed having Erica in that shot standing there all awkward waiting for her cue to talk to Tara and Charlie.

If you pause it at 6:17/:18, Julia Barr pulls a Ruth Warrick and looks directly into the camera, Mark LaMura looks a bit like Nate Berkus, and Dorothy Michaels is sitting behind them.

• Members

I have 18 episodes covering the engagement, bachelor party and aftermath and it was a very exciting wedding. The show really was quite good before Marland arrived. He was lucky to inherit a show in good shape. I'd love to see if this series includes Knots Landing.

• Members

Kurt and Mindy's wedding on GL looks fabulous from the clips Carl posted, that location shoot is easily one of the best I've seen on an American daytime soap.

LOL! Yep. But all I kept thinking is, why does this 80's church set look better than any church set that's appeared on AMC in recent years? LOL!

Kate's montage was very well done, and I wish there was more of the funeral available.

• Members

They really did do a nice job with that montage, and I don't know why I found Mona sipping her iced tea so cute. :P I hope this doesn't sound too macabre, but nobody does funerals like AMC. They always knock it out of the park when they say farewell to their beloved vets. I barely remember Grandma Kate, but I got a little choked up watching that just out of my years of AMC fandom and knowing *of* her if not knowing her first hand, like a great-great grandmother you never really knew.

• Members

I thought Marland had them move back to Oakdale for good, whereas before they'd made visits (starting in the early 80s).

I'd love to see more of the stuff leading up to their wedding.

The locations for that era of GL are very good, along with the costumes. The shots of Reva arriving, and looking around at a maze-like location, stand out.

There were some other gorgeous shots a year or two later, after her aborted wedding to Kyle.

I felt the same way. You didn't have to know her, the sorrow of the characters, the restraint, how they choose to honor her instead of making it about themselves, says it all. The flashbacks also go a long way.

• Members

Sorry,Chris B,for some reason KL was not included.

Just 4 U Eric...

Joseph Stuart - Loving

"I felt my finest hour was the culmination of the Keith and Jonathan storyline because it showed good conquering evil and because all aspects of the production-the acting,directing and location-were absolutely superb."

(the accompanying photo shows Jim and Shana,hands held staring into each other's eyes in the foreground while Jonathan stares evilly at them in the background.)

Interesting that this story is mentioned by both Agnes and Stuart as a favorite,when on paper it seems a little far out.Is any of this on YouTube?

• Members

Marland probably did bring them back for good, but I've read that Calhoun always had plans to bring them back for good and to reestablished the Hughes as a main force on the show again, even before Marland came on.

I know a lot of people had problems with Gail Kobe, a lot thought she tried too hard to reinvent GL, but I really think she understood the essence of that show and she understood talent, in both actors and writers. Too bad she never worked on another soap as EP. I know she was the main producer running the execution of things in B&B's first year though, she left daytime after that.

Archived