Producers Pick Their Show's finest Moments

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's no surprise GL was well produced under Gail Kobe, wasn't she a producer on EDGE before taking over the reigns at GL? EDGE was the epitome of a well produced soap.

The location shots were breathtaking, though the storyline was muddled a bit.

Robert Calhoun's statements here prove that he was one of the finest EP's in the genre, and he was someone who really understood the shows he was producing, be it ATWT or GL. Honestly I don't believe there will be another EP like him.

I was shocked to see Peggy O'Shea's name in the OLTL credits around 78/79 after Gordon Russell and Sam Hall's name. I tend to believe that it was her who had a firm grasp on the history of OLTL and the fact she helped make Russell and Hall's tenure run so smoothly in 1978 it's a no brainer that her time as the sole HW of OLTL rocked was so in tune with the history.

• Members

I remember the Kate Martin episode like it was yesterday. It was really well done and set the bar for others that would follow. Agnes wrote the euology that Joe gave. And they were able to nicely weave in the ongoing albeit silly plot of Tad and Dottie on the run by having Tad sneak back into town to say goodbye to his gran, so that the episode didn't feel self-contained. I believe it's the last time we would see Hugh Franklin as Dr. Tyler. He passed away the following year, and the show did a nice tribute to him as well. If I'm not mistaken that was also Larry Lau's first episode back after an extended 6-week leave to deal with his father passing away. Candice Earley, Vasili Bogazianos, and Kathleen Noone were on vacation when the episode was taped, so they didn't appear at the funeral.

• Members

IIRC, ATWT's producers, Susan Bedsow Horgan and Michael Laibson, who were de-facto HW's during yet another WGA strike, were responsible for Bob and Kim's reunion and marriage, with Kim admitting her guilt over "seducing" Bob all those years ago.

OTOH, didn't Nancy and Chris return for their 50th wedding (and the show's 30th) anniversary? If so, then I think Marland was responsible, as his name was in the writing credits by then.

• Members

Phil Capice - Dallas

"One of my favorite scenes,naturally,was when JR was gunned down by an unknown assailant. That was the key that made the show rocket to new heights. But the moment that was probably dearest to me personally was a silent sixty second scene with Barbara Bel Geddes,shortly after Jock's death. It was the first time she came down the stairs into the living room,looked up,saw his empty chair,drank some tea,tried to butter some toast,and then tears began to well up in her eyes. it was the most moving scene I've ever watched on television."

Joseph Hardy - Ryan's Hope

"The scenes of max and Siobhan getting married with the scenes of Jill being attacked and losing her memory.The fight scene between Jillian and her attacker was choreographed well. Those scenes were some of the finer,if not the finest,for 1985."

John Conboy - Capitol

"Capitol's finest moments in recent months happened when trey and Kelly's star crossed romance was finally resolved and he was able to make an emotional break from Sloane and return to Kelly and their son. My players,Jess Walton and Nicholas Walker performed the sensuous love scene tastefully and with grace. I was very proud of them and our director,producers and writers."

Stephen Schenkel - AW

"I'm very proud of our Arizona remote. Two love stories-Nancy/Chris and Marley/Jake-reached a crescendo against that magical and romantic desert backdrop and emerged even more fully. Emotinal depth followed action and adventure. We took the show to what is a dramatically American setting,one to which some of the great movie directors,and 25% of commercials made,return again and again. But no daytime show had ever considered this locale because it is so hard to work as fast as we have to in the desert. but we did it and the results were thrilling. The audience told us how much they liked it. And we'll do other things that are equally unusual and beautiful and dramatic."

• Members

I've heard about the Arizona remote with AW, I've never seen it though. Poor Chris -- murdered offcamera 15 years later.

Jill being attacked and losing her memory. Bleh. Glad I haven't seen those :(

I remember that Miss Ellie scene. Very moving.

• Members

Earl Hamner - Falcon Crest

"My favorite moments tend to be the cliffhangers.I loved the airplane crash we had 2 seasons ago and the explosion at Richard's home last season.I like cliffhangers because they propel the story forward. Also,in the early years,I believe it was the second season,tthere was a scene between Melissa and Lance,on their wedding day.They were eating a piece of wedding cake and Lance said,"Next thing i know you'll be pregnant".Melissa responded."I already am,and it's not yours".

Mary-Ellis Bunin - SB

"It's so difficult to choose one moment from more than 260 episodes and identify it as the finest,as I've been blessed with a wonderfully talented cast and creative staff who deliver constantly terrific work. if I must be pinned down,two events where production,performance and lighting melded to achieve outstanding results were1)Cruz and Eden proposal scene,shot on location,which was a beautifully directed,warm,funny,sexy sequence between A Martinez and Marcy Walker and 2)our recent Christmas show,where mason dreamed he was Scrooge and vowed to mend his ways.the concept,script(by Chuck Pratt,)performance(by Lane Davies),and technical execution produced one of our finest hours yet.

John Whitesell - SFT

"Our NYE's show was my favorite to date.I thought it was anice mixture of family comedy and danger,all shown at a fast pace. As Rivera was closing in on Hogan,Stu and the McLeary brothers-performed their own Blues Brothers routine lip-synching their version of 'I Can't Get Next to You' for a NYE celebration at Bigelow's.

Also that day we had the triangle of Liza,hogan and Lloyd working at full force.Hogan confronted Liza and Lloyd confronted Hogan. We also saw Evie striking out and becoming more independent of her parents. I was particularly proud thatall of the action was based on character. everything came out of who these people are and that is something I plan to make this show represent.

• Members

That's an odd quote from Hamner, considering he would come to feel uncomfortable with what the show had become by the second/third season...a full-out serialized over-the-top melodrama. I don't think that was his vision for the show, from interviews I've read. Praise for Chuck Pratt! SB was such a good show. What went wrong at AMC? Oh boy, John Whitesell. If I read one more quote, past or present, from a producer or writer about how everything from this point forward will be character-based, I'm gonna hurl!

• Members

That SFT stuff doesn't sound great but I'd like to see the lipsynching.

I would love to see that Melissa/Lance scene too. And I never knew they had a show home explosion on Falcon Crest. They had every disaster. I wonder if Emmerdale got that from them.

Archived