OLTL/Agnes Nixon two New York Times pieces

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What was Lemay's opinion of Agnes? Anyone know? In an interview at welovesoaps.com, he affectionately refers to Agnes as "Aggie" and half-lauds her attempts to dramatize social issues on AMC. I wonder what he thought of her actual writing ability. It seems that he looked down on the genre, so I'm wondering what he felt about her. I know he hated Irna because of her interference and the fact that she only saw characters in terms of black and white, while he preferred to show shades of gray. And from what I've read he wasn't a huge fan of Marland, feeling he was too rigid in his writing. By the way, whom did Lemay take over for at AW? Robert Cenedella? Whoever it was, Lemay wasn't too kind in his critique of AW before he came aboard.

• Members

As much as I love Agnes, I have to say that Lemay's AW was the most brilliant soap opera I've ever seen. Just very literate and sophisticated without being pretentious IMO. I've seen some stuff on youtube, and it really is amazing stuff, most of it very unsoapy yet compellingly dramatic. And they had the best company of actors to make his great writing come even more alive. I know he was under pressure near the end of his reign to add more soapy, melodramatic elements like murder trials and whodunnits, but most of his stuff was just excellent.

• Members

How many of his episodes are on Youtube? Can you link me to some please? I saw a few on wost and, like you, I think it's brilliant. Agnes Nixon is my sentimental fave but I suspect I would have liked his AW best, as well (and am dieing to see some Lovers and Friends). (That said the two episodes I saw--and wish I could see again surely someone saved them from wost--of Agnes Nixon's AW were likewise very very good)

• Members

The only AW episodes from that era on youtube are the one from 1976 where Mac & Iris go to Terese Lamonte's funeral/Pat and John spar over their kids and probably one you've seen with Iris in her blue dressing gown at her penthouse with Brian & Ted Bancroft and Mac, who had just left Rachel. See links below. There were a bunch a while back when WOST was still up that someone had copied to youtube. Really powerful scenes with Liz, Alice, Rachel and Ada. Just brilliant stuff. I think all that stuff is gone from youtube now. Yeah, Agnes is my sentimental fave, the best IMO at creating really good contemporary soap opera with unique characters. Lemay's AW was something totally different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhRFvVTZmq0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niHrngvYgAk

• Members

In a way I think Agnes made the *best* soap opera, but her stuff never *transcended* soap opera the way maybe Harding maybe did--if that makes sense.

I had never seen the one with Iris in blue! Will watch it now--I did see the other episode. (I remember a B&W one on wost with someone--was it Alice, playing a record player and being very sad--LOL I don't remember anything else except that I loved it) Would this scene

from March 1979 be still when he was writing?

• Members

Yeah, that scene had to have been near the end of his run. Right after John Randolph died trying to save Alice from the burning Matthews home that was set on fire by Olive. Later in order to trap Olive, they used Nurse Eileen Simpson as a decoy. She had blond hair and pretended to be Alice to trap Olive. Olive wound up throwing acid in her face, blinding her. I remember watching this as a kid with my mom who ADORED AW. However, these were tthe melodramatic elements that Lemay slowly began introducing that he had fought so hard against. I know Lemay introduced Eileen right before he left. The succeeding writing team headed by Tom King would expand Eileen's role and bring on her family.

• Members

FRFP/L&F most likely still exist in their entireties... right? With the loss of ATWT, the end of a HUGE part of P&G's history, they really should get their classic soap channel back up and running. I would love to see this show. I look forward to the short-lived soaps like this one, Texas, The City, even Capitol because I know I'll stick with them, following them isn't some daunting task.

Archived