OLTL/Agnes Nixon two New York Times pieces

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Lovers and Friends was on air for 6 months-Jan -June 77.

Lemay from the Mari Lyn Henry interview:

LEMAY: He was delighted. He was always very pleased when I got recognition. We were partners, particularly at that period. We created a soap opera together, LOVERS AND FRIENDS. That lasted a year or two. It was too much. I found it interesting to be working on one soap and to be able to switch my mind completely into a whole other set of characters. We had wonderful actors like Nancy Marchand and Richard Backus. It didn't work because I didn't have the energy to fight for what I wanted to do and they changed a whole lot of things. After the first six months I didn't write it anymore. I just collected the royalties. <br wp="br1">

I wonder if he was referring to the entire run of the show,or the '6 months' included the planning phase?

Getting a bit off topic,but I thought his comments on George reinholt were interesting.

George Reinholt was a very interesting actor to me. He was a man who was caught as a human being within a certain ambivalence of his own nature. That came across as a brooding (what I said about Brando) young man who is terribly hurt by something and that attracts women, young women in particular. They were crazy about him. I understood it and I tried to write into it which is why I gave him two loves, Rachel, a brunette passionate creature, and Alice, a blonde and more passive girl. I wanted to play off both sides of him. I have great respect for George in many ways. He was alive! He was difficult as a human being on the set. It was more Paul's decision than mine that we get rid of him because he was just impossible to work with. Other actors were complaining. He wasted a lot of time. We had gone from the half hour to the hour and we didn't have time to indulge actors.

"A certain ambivalence"?-mmm what is hinting about re George?

I know Reinholt constantly questioned the scripts and dialogue.He railed about Pat having twins when she'd had a hysterectomy for example.

• Members

That "50 Years of Soaps" special is the first tape I ever acquired through tape "trade" ($) :P Robin always tickles me, the way she says, "When, I played the part..." Marlena did a write-up of the special in SOW, I think I still have it.

I have that Steve and Alice scene on dvd, the full episode. Aren't those filmed color kinescopes interesting? Before I really understood the whole kinescope thing, I thought that's how the show really looked back then. :D I don't know if it's on YouTube, but I have a great scene where Rachel (VW) is just a Doberman to poor unstable Alice, she's trying to kick her out of the house that *Steven* would have wanted her and Jamie to live in, after all, they "had a kind of love (Alice would) never know," and Rachel gave him a child, "what child did (poor miscarrying Alice) ever give him?" Liz makes this awesome pained expression and then has to hold Alice back as she LUNGES for Rachel who scurries down the stairs and out of the house.

• Members

I stand corrected re L&F and FRFP.Lemay had no direct involvement with FRFP but did write L&F.

He served as consultant to FRFP.

From 'Eight Years in Another World' re Tom King:

"He seldom called me and I hesitated to offer criticisms of his outlines and scripts,assuming,from my own experiences,that he was already barraged with criticisms from the producers and sponsors."

• Members

I randomly wiki-ed Tom King--I had NO idea baout his work for Nickelodeon:

Tom King is an American television writer and story board artist best known for his work on the animated children's shows The Ren and Stimpy Show, SpongeBob SquarePants, Camp Lazlo, Chowder and The Fairly OddParents. He was also a Head Writer of NBC Daytime's Another World, ABC Daytime's Loving, Ryan's Hope (with Millee Taggert) and a breakdown writer on One Life to Live.

Archived