OLTL/Agnes Nixon two New York Times pieces

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Now Dixie Carter I have no recollection of. Pinkerton had a baby around the time and Carter stepped in to sub for her for however long. From what I've heard from other long time viewers is that DC's temp. Dorian was more "saucy", whatever that's supposed to mean. I'd like to see that too. Too bad the general consensus is is that none (or very few) of those episodes exist in the vaults because ABC kept on reusing the same tapes.

• Members

And there was one more Dorian temp, Ellen Barber for Robin Strasser. That was in the early '80s, so that's probably still in the vaults.

I would really like to see more of Pinkerton and Malis. A VERY brief glimpse of Malis showed up on YouTube a few months back, I didn't think that I'd EVER get to see her Dorian, so that was a nice surprise. My mother was a longtime OLTL fan, and Malis was wiped from her memory.

I think Jessica Walter would have made for a good Dorian replacement. Ha, even Patti LuPone. :P

• Members

Daytime to Remember sadly edited ALL their shows but I always wondered how much of that one they did--was OLTL still 30 mins or hadit become 45 by then, anyone know?

I think she's wonderful. Lemay said she was too soap opera in her acting--and I admit, perhaps that's an aspect of her performances I like (I've seen a LOT more of her on OLTL than the couple of AW episodes)

• Members

She's definitely very soapy, but that makes her stand out. That and the Amazon looks and the surprisingly husky voice. I think that gave her a strength which made generic heroines like Alice more palatable, and a stature that the Alice recasts didn't have.

I can't imagine what Lemay would have thought of Linda Dano if he had ever worked with her -- she is the soapiest of soap actresses.

I think OLTL was still 30 minutes when Kevin was born.

I loved Daytime to Remember. Those OLTL episodes they showed hooked me and never let me go, especially the episode where Jenny gave Mary back to Katrina. ::sob:: Those episodes were so well-chosen, especially compared to GH's selection, with great ideas like, "Hey, let's show an episode with Demi Moore!"

• Members

I'd forgotten about all of that. It makes even less sense to me because I felt like their material was the strongest. I think even Michael Logan panned the GH material. And Reba had guest starred on OLTL, so if she was going to host, she was hosting without mentioning the show she'd been on?

• Members

That Rauch and Lemay were able to dismiss immensely popular actors like Jackie Courtney and George Reinholt speaks volumes to the power of the writers and producers back in the day. No way would writers/producers today be able to fire very popular actors they deemed to lack talent. I mean, I'm sure the networks were involved back then, but not as heavily as they are today. It's also a testament to how much Rauch and Lemay wanted to put on a quality show with top actors. Courtney was fired for her lack of acting ability. Lemay said that she used to write key lines on her hand or something, so that's why she was always looking down. Reinholt was let go because he was trouble. Lemay called him brilliant but deeply troubled. My mom fell in love with AW because of the Rachel/Steve/Alice triangle.

Archived