Jay Leno moving back to the Tonight Show?

JaneAusten

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree that Leno has always come off as an opportunist, but a lot of his act comes off as too over choreographed and stilted.

By comparison, Letterman, who I like better but am NO fanboi of, always seemed more natural and smarter.

Johnny Caron apparently never liked that NBC gave The Tonight Show to Leno when he retired, Letterman was his choice. I believe this too, until his death, Carson was an uncredited consultant for Letterman.

Leno has always kissed too much ass, from what I've seen and heard, to get where he is....

• Members

You have to couple this with all the other poor decisions Zucker has made over the past several years.Letting successful shows end and not having a real ongoing transition plan. The idea that even coming in last in ratings regularly and still making a profit is successful, airing cheap trash. All he's done is destroy what became to be known as the network of Must see TV to the state it's in today. And NBC better be careful. Their last area of dominance, The Today Show, is now looking at serious competition with the changes GMA has made.

• Members

Yes! A lot of fakeness there, but weirdly and contrary to what one would expect, the fakeness isn't really a turn-off for people.

Servility sure does describe him

And as in every other part of entertainment industry, seeking morality and ethic is a misplaced pursuit here. All of them, Letterman included, use opportunities to their advantage. Of course, Leno would do the same, or worse, had this happened to Letterman.

• Members

It doesn't matter that NBC is bleeding money and has been a fiasco for 3-4 years now. They say well, USA is doing well, Univision is doing well, it's time to move on from broadcast networks.

Yes, the Jay/Conan mess.

I'm already seeing Time and some of the other sites say stuff like perhaps this Leno move won't be a bad thing in the end, it got NBC publicity, and Leno's ratings are going up because of the attention, and so on.

• Members

I'm not surprised, but I don't think NBC is going to profit from this in the longrun. He damaged the 10PM slot with that crappy show and, unless NBC has something other than SVU to fill the timeslot, the local news won't recover and neither will The Tonight Show. It will take at least a year for viewers to find their way back to Leno, if not more.

Jay has broad appeal, the Middle America auds. We know that. But Middle America also doesn't like a villain. And Jay is, very deservedly, being exposed as the greedy, jowly bastard we know him to be. Not only is The Tonight Show damaged goods, but so is Jay. I'd be very surprised if Jay came out smelling like a rose in all of this. And even more surprised if NBC recovered in the ratings.

Archived