Jay Leno moving back to the Tonight Show?

JaneAusten

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

She's taken a lot of crap over the years, but I think Joan Rivers was absolutely the one who should have been next in line for Carson's seat, she was perfect. The fact that an internal memo worked its way through NBC that listed 10 candidates to replace him and she wasn't even on that list just goes to show how much NBC appreciated her. Thus, it's no surprise she jumped at the chance to go to Fox, Carson got a 3 year deal while NBC only offered Joan a 1 year contract to guest host and even then, that gig was over the second Carson retired. Had Joan stuck with it she'd have followed Ed McMahon and would have been put out to pasture long ago. True, her time at FOX was not positive but I think, 20 years after the fact, Joan has been vindicated with how hosts like Jimmy Fallon and Jimmy Kimmel who have embraced and treated her like the icon that she is.

And I loved Arsenio Hall's show. It was always fun when he had a guest on who seemed like they wouldn't 'get' him. I recall Joan Collins being on several times and it really impressed me how well those two got on. Collins was hip and Hall was smooth.

Absolutely. And it was a steeply decreased budget. I have to wonder if DAYS is now, aside from ATWT, the cheapest show on the air?

• Members

That some viewers will go back to a soap if effort is made, even though Zucker basically told the press that DAYS was going to be canceled by 2009. It's a lesson Zucker could learn considering how badly most of the NBC lineup is faring. Shows that got endless hype and promotion and money for ages going belly up.

• Members

I also think Joan should have been Carson's successor. I LOVE her. And still manages to stay current. But here's my question... why don't any of these networks attempt to give any of these late hosts a co-host or a sidekick? Carson was without a doubt the most successful late night host in TV history, but yet nobody has tried to follow his template by giving one of these hosts an "Ed McMahon". Regis sure thrives with a co-host to bounce off of.

• Members

I'm not sure if NBC is in the position to be choosy. DAYS lost viewers and then gained a number of them back, even with a smaller budget. A lot of NBC shows which cost far more money haven't been able to do this.

As long as the show's demos are OK I'd think this would be enough for NBC, even if 3.0 isn't likely.

• Members

I'd argue that Letterman does have his sidekick in Paul Shaffer. In Leno's case, well, he's got Kevin Eubanks, but Kevin is more of a punchline for Jay's 'jokes'..Jay is a control freak and can't stand the idea of anyone getting top billing with him. He's insecure. And Jay is the type who would benefit from a sidekick.

The sidekick thing does not always work because it's a chemistry thing. Regis has gotten lucky, twice. Howard Stern hit the jackpot with Robyn.

Some hosts simply aren't suited to sidekicks, Rosie, Merv, Mike Douglas, Oprah, Donahue even our beloved Joan Rivers has never had one.

• Members

If you'd believe it, Melissa is Joan's producer for this Monday's 'Fashion Police' on E! That's right, she's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack on E!

You're right though, I forgot about Melissa on the carpet, constantly fighting with Joan and of course on The Apprentice (Whore Pit Viper! is a phrase that will be with me till my dying day). I saw an interesting interview with Melissa (who is a very smart woman) where she spoke of how she has 'her career' while Joan has 'THE career' and that throughout her whole life, Joan's career has been referred to as 'THE career' as if it was another person in their house.

• Members

And I have to laugh at the hipocrisy and naïveté of the general public commenting this. All of a sudden Jay is the devil and Conan is the sweetest thing on Earth. Where were these people who defend Conan now when he needed them, why didn't they watch his show? Because they don't like it. Nor him. And suddenly he is great.

Leno is of course all those things mentioned above: the perma-smirk, pandering to the lowest common denominator, insecure, selfish... But also successful. In the ratings. More than Letterman and more than O'Brien. So many of the comments in the media are envy in disguise. And I know I have to underline: I do not like Leno and I'm not defending him. Simply observing.

Conan needs to grow the hell up. He was never right for The Tonight Show. And now with calling Ebersol an id!ot he is just the same as Dick.

• Members

I'm not sure the public has a big opinion one way or the other. Most may just enjoy the spectacle. I can't stand Leno, but I think the ratings will probably have a boost when he's back at the Tonight Show. Like you said, he's usually been a success.

Archived