Jay Leno moving back to the Tonight Show?

JaneAusten

• Members

The public and the media with all these pro-Conan tweets and articles. Hilarious. :) Why didn't they organise a campaign Watch Conan! Or something.

And all those who think they'd be fair to Conan. Firstly, what does fair mean? Giving him the TTS spot, I guess, but it doesn't work that way. The network isn't interested in promises it gave, they want ratings. Also, the belief that some would be fair to Conan in the negotiations room. Really? One honest person in a room with 10 other sharks who don't really care about fairness, honesty and all the other good in people.

This is just sad.

But also everyday life in Hollywood. Only more publicised.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

People are man to her (expected):

It's her ego talking to herself.

"... the old women that try to look young..."

wait a second..

looks like a duck

what a hypocrite

Etc.

Which a very simple illustration of why she would never run TTS and why they were right in not giving it to her. People just don't like her, sadly.

• Members

You know I think that's a misconception. The people who don't like her, in my experience, don't like women comics generally. A lot of people of my generation who grew up with her love her. She's like a security blanket that's been lovingly stitched and botoxed and restylaned and chemical peeled right into our hearts.

And when it comes to The Tonight Show that was sexism, plain and simple. Her initial ratings at Fox were quite good, it's only after Carson made it known that anyone who went on her show wasn't welcome on his that the guests started falling away and the ratings eroded and then the interference with the execs at Fox.

When Joan gets to do her thing, she's fabulous and I think she comes off very well.

• Members

I see that because I like her. But people misinterpret her and don't understand her — sometimes intentionally — and that's why she is where she is.

It was sexism. But sadly I am not convinced the ratings would have been stable...

• Members

I know you don't mean that to come across as if Joan is in a gutter where she belongs but I want to make it clear that I think Joan Rivers has blazed a trail for women in comedy as well as a trail for anyone who is 'different'. Some would argue that Phyllis Diller was the one who started it but I disagree, you laughed AT Phyllis Diller, you laughed WITH Joan Rivers. Additionally, I think it's clear that with a mega business on QVC, sold out club dates around the world, bestselling books, talks show appearances and other television work, Joan Rivers is where she is because she's a real talent and a real survivor and someone whose stick to it attitude is one I find immensley encouraging.

As well, Joan's relevance is something that cannot be overlooked. Even with Kimmel if she didn't bring in numbers she wouldn't get booked. She appeals to women and the younger demographics. Who cares if she doesn't appeal to 48 year old men in Nebraska, she has her audience and it is an audience that embraces her.

The ratings when she was guest host on The Tonight Show were always excellent, she had that gig for 3 years without interruption. I really would have liked to see how she would have done if she'd been given a real shot in late night.

Joan 'goes there' with her comedy. Her last special was entitled "Joan Rivers: Before Melissa Pulls the Plug"...fearless.

I know I've taken this thread way off track with Joan Rivers, but I really think she got horridly screwed over in the 80s and I think the same thing is happening to Conan. I only hope he bounces back as well as she has.

• Members

With all due respect to the both of you, since when has someone "being right" for the job stopped NBC from giving someone a chance? Look at crap like The Office and Heroes. Repeatedly circling the vortex of suckage after its first season, yet they continue to renew these shows because of the cult buzz, instead of the ratings.

Doesn't matter if Conan wasn't performing or if it's a different time today than it was back then, where you could give someone over two years to git-r-done. They should have stuck by him. I'm a fan of Nightline, but I used to love his show back in the day. He deserved the shot.

And Jay is a proven ratings winner, absolutely. But will viewers follow him back, especially considering the negative publicity that he will never be able to shake in an age of the internet and word of mouth AND the fact that NBC(barring putting To Catch a Predator on the lineup three nights a week) will be able to get back some of lost 10PM audience(that trickles down from the local news to The Tonight Show)?

• Members

Did you hear Julia Roberts on the Golden Globes pre-show, dismissing NBC as being in the "toilet" and joking that the rain they had was supposed to be moved up an hour (like Leno's show).

Rita Wilson and Tom Hanks were with her and Rita was like this :o

I think she was upset because earlier that annoying Billy Bush was talking to Sandra Bullock about Julia turning down both of Sandra's 2009 hit movies, but I still :lol:

• Members

I saw that.

Also, Julia Roberts may also be disgusted with Billy Bush because of the more sensational direction Access Hollywood has taken(which is why Nancy O'Dell allegedly quit, among other things).

I just caught up on all of the Letterman/Leno bits. I bet Letterman, win or lose, is laughing all the way to the bank.

I want Conan/Letterman on Late Show together bashing Leno.

• Members

And Access Hollywood is, of course, a NBC/Uni property. No surprise there.

ETA: What I want to know is, where's the money gonna come from to promote Leno going back to The Tonight Show? They have to promote the 10PM hour that is crucial to them rebuilding the lineup and helping out the local news which will cause the trickle down effect. They have to promote the Winter Olympics, which, from what I saw during the Golden Globes, NBC isn't doing anything to promote, except bumpers at the bottom of the screen. Maybe NBC is hoping for another Tonya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan drama, but that should have happened by now.

Do they assume word of mouth will bring back those Tonight Show viewers?

Archived