Ways to save OLTL

• Members

I rarely post here, but I really wanted to discuss this. I know there's been alot of doom and gloom discussions about OLTL, and their latest ratings doesn't bode too well for the show. Even though it already comes under budget, why don't they cut costs even more. Yes, I am suggesting a DAYS-esque makeover to cut the show. Not only could they make more money for ABC,it may but them more time on ABC.

They should cut some of the older veteran characters and keep it on ABC. That could cut down their budget tremedously, and make it more profitable. I'm not sure which vets I would keep and cut but I could see them doing a DAYS/Deidre Hall, and fire their lead heroine Erika Slezak. Write in some emotional storyline with Charlie, and have him suffer a serious tragedy because of him going back to drinking. He doesn't have to die, but this makes Viki want to go off to travel the world and "find herself".

Whoever plays John needs to go. After Viki leaves, they need to make Jessica a stronger lead, and spark a rivalry with Natalie and her. Jessica dosen't need to revert to Tess/Bess, but just a good old soapy sister rivalry. Gigi/Rex need to be separated permanately and I could get into them. Integrate Layla/Christian into the cast, they only have scenes with Kyle/Fish, and need more to do. Hell put them in a quad with Rachel, and a recasted Greg.

Starr/Cole/Markko/Langston also have untapped potential, if they write Starr better.

Recast Destiny, and we could have a nice teen triangle with 3 cheap cast members with Dani/Matthew/Destiny.

I can also see the show dropping Bo/Nora have them married and get their happy ending, and have Matthew stay in Llanview because it's his home, and he wants to stay with the rest of his friends and family.

Dorian should stay, but Todd should leave too. I'm not sure how they could do it, but it's certainly plausible. Presenting this to ABC, as a way to cut costs could buy the show more time, IMO.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If this were back in the days when soaps had money, I could see them hiring Deirdre Hall as a recast Pat Ashley, and having her play Pat's crazy double sister or cousin or whoever. It sounds like something Rauch would have enjoyed.

I don't think they should fire Erika though.

• Members

You don't really understand OLTL if you honestly believe firing Erika Slezak would somehow help the show.

OLTL is actually, for the most part, quite good the way it is. If (or when) that doesn't ultimately stick and the show gets cancelled, it'll be a sad message about the overall prognosis for the rest of the daytime soaps still airing. Still, with its vets on board and the stories being overall true to OLTL's general identity, it would probably have a very satisfactory send-off.

BUT if ABC were to do any kind of cast or behind-the-scenes overhaul, let alone fire OLTL's legacy star in Slezak, it would undoubtedly accelerate the show to its cancellation AND offend / repel fans in the process. The show would go out on a very sour note - and nobody wants that.

• Members

I recently started a thread about cutting the cast of OL for the same reasons you mentioned...to help cut its costs and hopefully keep it on the air. But,it seemed everyone wants their cake and eat it too. True fans of the show want to see it stay on the air, but most aren't willing to give up the current spoils to see it happen. This will just end up sinking the show. Then when it's too late, they will complain about it being cancelled just like the fans of GL and ATWT.

The reasons I mentioned cutting the cast and cutting mostly fringe characters was so that the show could save even more money and focus on the vets. Do I really think that viewers would tune out because "Moe" or "Noelle" were no longer on? I highly doubt it. But if you cut a vet like Erika Slezak or Trevor St. John and people WILL tune out. One viewer tuning out right now is too many. So cut people that won't have that big of an effect. I'm not saying as of today get rid of 20 fringe characters, but phase them out. Most aren't on regularly anyway. If OL is not paying for them to be added filter in scenes, they will save money. Then when a vet's contract comes up...maybe...just maybe...they might have a chance of staying.

How many people were up in arms about the cuts of Julia Barr? Stuart Damon? Deidre Hall and Drake Hogestyn? SO FAR, OL has not had to do a major cut, but if they keep wasting their money on filter storylines, they will have to cut someone BIG to offset it. I fear when that happens OL will be a goner for sure.

• Members

They had to cut Phil Carey, which must have bothered him, although he did continue making appearances when they could bring him in, which was nice of him.

I guess the problem I have with "let's cut all the filler to save the big names" is I think some of the big names are what is dragging OLTL down. If big names are Todd, John, Rex, and Gigi, then I think some or all of them could be removed and the show would not suffer.

• Members

I forgot about Phil Carey! :angry: Shame on me.

I agree that cutting out John or Rex and Gigi creatively for the show would probably be a plus. It's just it scares me to think of OL losing one more viewer and with their fan bases, it would probably happen. Soaps can not lose any more viewers period. It is too hard to get them back. I think that Days' recent comeback is very, very unlikely to happen for other shows with their current regimes.

• Members

OLTL fans are stupid. Nelson Branco told people months ago the show was being canceled. They let their hatred of him blind them and didn't take it seriously. By now there is nothing that can be done. The show is canceled. ABC isn't switching studios znd they aren't upgrading to HD. Now if a few months ago fans mobilized to promote the show or sending something to ABC and their sponsors then it might have a chance. ABC isn't doing any promo because they WANT the show to fail. It cost a lot of money to move AMC and thats the soap they're saving. Sad but true. At least OLTL got to end with some semi-good years. We've also had lots of return with Carlivati which is nice.

• Members

And I'm not convinced yet that they do. There is definitely some evidence that they might, but I don't see it as definitive. Don't the ABC soaps make additional money for ABC/Disney by providing content for (pseudo)Soapnet? Seems like they bring in revenue and viewers other than what shows up in the daytime ratings.

As far as Todd/TSJ goes, hasn't he already said he won't be re-signing with the show? If that's true and not just rumor I think it is time to give Todd a nice break. Of course, now RH is free, but I'd love it if they would rest the character for at least 6 months.

• Members

Nelson said in the latest Suds Report that OLTL isn't moving yet, because they have to wait until AMC's contract with the studios is up. If they move now, then OLTL would get AMC's crew members and the OLTL crew would be out of a job. Maybe it is a cover story or what not, but it's certainly believable.

I also don't see what firing Erike Slezak would do to hurt the show. I honestly don't believe the 2 million plus viewers of OLTL, watch day in and day out for Viki. They do come in under-budget, but if cutting the show even more, to make it even MORE profitable than it already is could give the show a fighting chance.

Archived