Y&R: Episodes Discussion, Week of Nov. 9th, 2009

• Members

Yes! There it is! Okay, now I know where it is coming from.

Okay, she's as arrogant and misguided as everyone thinks she is. More inflammatory is that I found her recent quotes about Thom Bierdz. Note the italicized part...given just 2 months ago...and a plain, plain lie.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the biggest problem with this show is that there's no direction, identity, or clear vision steering it. The show doesn't appear to know what it wants to be anymore. There also seems to be very little planning for the long-term of things.

The stories themselves are very poorly developed and lack suspense and intrigue. I'm happy to see some of the corporate side, but this writing regime obviously doesn't understand corporate intrigue (and how to properly do those types of stories) and these corporate stories lack investment and intrigue.

And yes, Y&R is failing miserably in a sweeps month. Nothing seems high stake on this show, and no, I don't mean in the typical stunt-heavy sense that this poisonous writing regime is accustomed to.

• Members

They should have played that Colleen mess NOW

One more thing I am so glad we are seeing Devon and Roxanne a lot more.

But you're, right no direction. Feels like a brand new story cycle has begun, DURING SWEEPS. Watching Y&R yesterday reminded I should stop wasting my time. I am tired of complaining about how much Y&R has fallen.

• Members

Today's episode....

I can't believe what they're doing to the Mac character with this surrogacy crap. Mac be may kind, but she's not this kind. It's completely ludicrous for her wanting to be a surrogate for some couple she hasn't even known for a year. This is a perfect example of plot before character and this poisonous writing regime having no idea what to do with half the characters on this show. This story is quite vulgar in a way, as Lily's need for a baby has come to define who she is as a person. LAME is not a star couple Y&R, quit trying to make them one.

More over the top and hammy acting from the overrated Billy Miller. :rolleyes:

Someone ask David Tom to come back, please. What's he doing? I can see him at least toning this character down, even with such one-note and lazy writing.

It's like 6 months too late for Phyllis to become this interested in Daniel again. Another big problem with the writing on this show. It's like they read comments about beats they intentionally skipped on message boards and then try to make up for them 4 months later, when it's already too late.

Daniel and Amber wanting to get married. :rolleyes:

Am I supposed to care about the person watching them get married and smashing their binoculars? :rolleyes:

Still not feeling Emily, though Haiduk is great. I do not understand the purpose of this character and I'm not liking Jack obviously being into her this fast.

Go away Deacon, please. He is another useless character that brings nothing to the show and is completely miswritten from the way he was on B&B. Why do they refuse to trim the obvious fat on this show?

Overall, this show is the epitome of treading water, bad character development and writing, pimping certain character at the expense of others, miswritten characters, lack of intrigue or suspense, and just an overall sub-par and poorly executed soap.

• Members

The wedding was terrific. That's what I want to see. I enjoyed the humor. Daniel/Amber is a trainwreck, but that's what soaps need.

How is Kay a minister? I missed that.

It seems so obvious that Ryder's mom/binocular girl is Sheila. Otherwise it makes no sense for Lauren to have been on that rooftop--she isn't that close. But maybe they're playing with us, which is cool.

I actually dig one aspect of Billy Miller's portrayal, which is his excellent conveyance of self-loathing and frustration with self. He wants to be a better man. He wants to be worthy of Mac. But he can't do it.

I do wish Cane/Lily would go away, though.

• Members

What are you talking about? Lauren has known Amber for years. Amber came to Genoa City because Lauren had talked about it and when Amber was down on her luck, Lauren gave her a job at the boutique. She introduced Amber to Kevin, Jana and Katherine. She threw Amber and Cane a wedding reception when they were married. Lauren should be on that roof. Michael has bailed Amber and Daniel out more times that I can remember so he should be at the wedding also. And where is Gina?

I like Kay, but I am sick of her always taking center stage at every event. I know she is MAB's pet but can't she just be a damn guest for once instead of running the show?

I thought the wedding was too rushed. This couple has been together awhile and they throw this wedding together over one episode and yes it seems the purpose was to get Lauren on the roof and receive a creepy gift.

Now yes I am intrigued a bit with the myatery of who is after Lauren and Michael and how Ryder and Daisy are involved as long as this is a genuine story and not some convoluted way to kill off Lauren. I don't want Lauren sacrificed just so we can get new Fishers (Ryder and maybe Daisy) who will be "adopted" by Katherine as yet more family along with Kevin and Amber.

They definitely want us to think it is Sheila doing this because she tormented Lauren on a roof, and nobody in their right mind would have a wedding on a roof in November in Wisconson. But it does seem too obvious.

The vows were pretty goof for Daniel and Amber, but I just don't like slapped together and rushed weddings.

As for Billy, I wouldn't mind him so much if he wasn't being shoved down out throats everyday. He is an immature spoiled brat which is fine but not on a daily basis. He is their shiny new toy that is losing its luster. Just like under LML, with the Gloria and Phyllis show, these writers don't seem to get when you overexpose these characters we get sick of them. He needs to be backburned for ahwile but instead he will probably be shoved in a couple more stories.

Archived