Y&R Episodes Discussion, Week of November 2, 2009

• Members

So, the dog thing was cute. With the "happy endings" for TGVN/Nikki and JT/Amelia, it really did feel like a big "The End" sign should flash up.

This dismissal of most of the Newman family in a single day felt an awful lot like when Drake and Deidre were written off in a rush on DOOL.

But I was watching with a 14-year old today, and even he decried the writing of this show.

- from the embarrassment of Abby thinking no one would recognize him

- to Crimson Lights staying open later than a bar

- to Amber and Daniel being goofy

that was all not good.

I did enjoy Chance seeing Billy and Chloe kiss.

I thought the Phyllis/Adam scenes EXPLODED with chemistry ("That's a stinky fish"). There's really something there I wasn't expecting! (She never sparked with Engen...but this surprised me). I also liked how Phyllis didn't do the cliche thing ("Yes, let's work together to keep Nick and Sharon apart"), but dismissed Adam.

My one regret is this: Muhney is loaded in humor and spark. I wish they'd let hsi Adam be a little less deadly serious...maybe he could start to become a bit more playful.

The Rawlings mansion is consistently too brightly lit these last few days...and if I notice, that is a real problem. Part of the genius of Cassandra's house was always its lighting...which made it convincingly look like an interior designer's place. Now, it's just awash in neon.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Bright lighting is the Rauch trademark. We should be grateful he didn't supersize the set, as he did on GL. Then Sharon would be starring in the Big Comfy Couch (with special guests Adam, Nick, Jack, and Billy...)

I haven't seen the show yet. I have this awful feeling that even though EB is returning, this may be goodbye for Melody :(

• Members

Smart kid. :lol:

I think in their attempt to make this show seem "hip" to kids, they really lost sight and underestimated just how smart kids, and teens specifically are. The teen set especially on this show is a joke, and I've yet to encounter teens who watch soaps to see other teens, because really, they know how badly their age group is portrayed on most soaps. But their general storytelling is pathetic to even most teen viewers, I find.

Y&R is horribly lit these days, it's so tacky and bright that most of the sets appear washed out. Look at the doors in the Newman break room for example, they're beyond yellow-ish looking now. Most of these sets weren't designed for such bright lighting. They should beg David Shaughnessy to come back and oversee production.

• Members

I liked the episode. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad this isn't the end for Braeden with a puppy and a sendoff to rehab...this was quickly drummed up.

The coffee cafe's in LA stay open all night so I didn't notice it. Abby as Amy Winehouse was funny. I like Daisy. She's got potential. i like how they wrapped up Victoria and JT. Setting up a rivalry (romance?) between Billy and Victoria is good.

Bye AH - sorry this didn't work out good but even in her final days she was a mousy Victoria. Her slap to Billy was everything a soap-slap shouldn't be. She never had the strength, the rage, the wit or the intensity that Victoria Newman should have.

Thad was good though and i actually cared about his plight - clothes on and all.

Chloe, Billy, Chance triangle works REALLY well. I was even interested in seeing Chance with Ashley during their brief scene. The kiss between Billy and Chloe had wonderful production values. PR really did his thing there.

I don't know about the Rawlins house - it doesn't bother me. It looks good to me. But I didn't pay too much attention. I'll try next time.

Jimmy's bar actually worked for me this time with so many people there. Amber and Daniel are a cool couple. I liked her costume.

Again, I'm really glad EB and hopefully MTS will be back. This ending with a puppy, while cute and appropriate, was not worthy.

• Members

No women on Y&R with this regime have those traits (IMHO).

I still wish they'd bring in a new love interest for Billy and move him away from Chloe. That relationship is so undefined and I still don't see chemistry between them.

• Members

"Billy's world" has gotten extremely boring and it is only a world of self pity , please do not try to pull me back in.

This young lady playing Daisy seem fine so far, to me but then again she mostly acted next to HE .

I know it's a strange observation but I see they seem to be bringing Phyllis back, truthfully she should have a problem with Nick's consumate need for Sharon but in a wierd wierd way I feel as if the character (Phyllis) is starting to let go a bit by loosening her vice grip; I'm kind of intrigued by her side of things. I want to see how that gets played out. I did dig her scene with Muney today, maybe MS finally recognized her character fully in the scene again.

IMO the scene of "Victoria's slap" lost momentum immediately after the slap. It is like her energy for the day was used in that slap then she immediately lost interest in everything else having to with the scene. C'mmon AH I can appreciate understated but this character is supposed to be a "firecracker", plus this isn't even under-stated it is plain zombie acting.

The puppy scene was cute, a bit gross, but cute.

I wish they would Develop Chance with Chloe and equally-so seperately from Chloe. Develop Chloe w/Chance and w/Billy and equally speerate from both. I get there is some drive to continue "Billy's World" but this core character shouldn't be THIS self absorbed. A lil prissy understandably, but let this over-age kiid care about more than shallow things i.e. drinking, giving pathetic petty come-uppances, turning his nieces death into his pity party. Does Billy wonder about being a good father? Under this regime I do not believe Billy loves Mac.

Ok I want my Nina, my Katherine and hell she's not one of my faves but she does rock my Jill

Archived