Y&R Episodes Discussion, Week of October 26, 2009

• Members

Since when are Victor and Jack equally to blame for what Patty is going trough now. Seems to me it was Victor on his own who sought out this mentally unstable woman and set her lose. It's like Victor taking bullets for Jack when we saw no such thing played out. Are some of these writers completely incapable of blaming Victor and Victor alone for anything?

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They want it both ways with Billy. They want us to think he's better than his family, that he's a hot stud who doesn't need those Abbott losers, yet they continue to drag the Abbotts into the picture when it's time to try to make him look better. Gee, look at him go and defend Colleen (only after Victor screwed him over), isn't he brave? Look at him go and take Ashley away (after she had already lost her baby and her mind and was severely damaged in many ways)? Isn't he a tough guy?

They need to just own up and break Billy away from the Abbotts. He resents them. He dislikes them. He was looking to Victor as a father not all that long ago. The way he treats women, his superiority complex mixed with raging insecurities, the lack of chemistry with most if not all of his scene partners -- he IS a Newman.

Either rewrite history and make him Victor's son, or just please stop having him in scenes with the Abbotts. With the exception of Traci, who tends to bring everybody up, I just don't buy it.

And this Billy/Chloe stuff does nothing for me.

They will be jealous, and that's funny, because women just lose their heads when they have to deal with the big studs. Hee hee.

I think the show wants to forget about just how sick and disgusting the Billy/Ashley sex was. Billy and his brother's wife, who was mentally ill. They saw it as hot stuff, with no long-term consequences.

I have to agree with Y&RWT that it's kind of ridiculous to see Adam in all these rivalries with people, and absolutely no friendships. It all falls very flat, as most of the rivalries on the show do now, because it's just endless, empty posturing.

I think they have characters react to the homosexual thing as something to laugh at because they don't really want to deal with this issue. There are no gay people in Genoa City, aside from a few bit players who never interact with anyone, so of course Nikki, Victoria, and Sharon will snicker. Why, it's just like those home decorating men you see on cable. Treating is as amusing and generally showcasing same-sex relationships as amusing (they do what? They put what where?) is a way to paper over the fact that Adam seduced a "kid", as the writers bizarrely put it, for no reason other than to manipulate him and keep him quiet.

This team is very good at making sure their past stories are shrugged off as much as possible. That way they can get away with doing whatever they want, with no strong interest in history, even their own.

• Members

I was talking HWs, but I'll just be happy that any writer remembered something from a year ago.

Carl, you mean Sharon not Ashley right?

It was weird seeing Billy and Sharon talk after their fling. I wonder if anyone is going to mention Billy's drinking problem, the one that almost go him killed (that and JT left him out in the snow).

• Members

Yes. Sorry, I meant Billy/Sharon.

They seem to have forgotten the alcoholism. Billy was boozing it up hard the night he took over Restless Style and nothing was said. I'm not sure if the whole "men with balls" style of writing says men can be alcoholics. On ATWT, Craig would drink constantly and they never said he had a problem.

• Members

I do like EH in the role but Chloe is mostly just a lot of quirks to hide that she really doesn't have a characterization. They've thrown her from guy to guy and job to job and made her an instaChancellor, but underneath she's just...there.

I think if they got her away from Billy and developed her ambitions, with Chance as her frustrated but supportive boyfriend, that might help, some. Then they could start to explore Chance's demons and Chloe could support him.

Or they could put her with JT.

• Members

I know, amazing, ain't it? But Katherine has a certain pattern of speech, and she NEVER uses such crass words in her vocabulary. I remember one scene LONG ago, where Katherine almost called Jill a c@nt, but she stopped herself on the first "K" sound (Dickson gave her a look like.. Oh, REALLY? Your'e NOT going there, are you?) Did Casiello think he was writing for Tricia Cast? Cause those are the exact type of lines that would come out of HER mouth.

• Members

Caught today's episode it wasn't bad I suppose. Interesting comments from you all though. Billy does drink-- noticeably-- ALOT and it is something to be delved into but I will cut a lil bit of slack there because I don't feel it has to be immediately acknowledged. It can be one of those things where EVENTUALLY someone acknowledges at a more pivotal moment where it povides better opportunity for good story arc. I don't think it is necessarily displaying sexism that Billy drinks a lot and it hasn't yet been acknowledged either ; his mother drinks a lot too. Jill's consistent with her intakes. The Sharon /Adam scenes are hit and miss. I'll try to understand the character of Adam and then I'll be lost again. I Just don't get him he is totally lost on me. They try their best to explain like h-e-!!, his reasoning, his logic and his motivations and it's a fail to me. It doesn't make him complex it makes him pathetically underdeveloped with a glob of slime. The layers that should have been a big play in the story shouldn't just disappear into an abyss of (out of no-where) confusing socio-pathy and then re-appear when the disgusting deeds are already done and where it seems it would now be the time to build up to a reveal. When Adam is found out it won't be the big pay off I am sure they are betting on, yes people want to see him go down, but I am yet to find anyone who cares enough for this to create any meaningful arcs for any of the other characters or Adam.

Sharon Case was probably giggling at the idiocy that lies beneath this story. Sharon's reaction are expected the character is supposed to be naturally and genuinely sympathetic to most others, but I'm definitly not finding the connection to Adumb. I'm sure the "I'm not gay thing .....I slept with a man for every other reason" is directed to be played in that specific way

The Victor/Nikki Dynamic was tolerable to watch. Loved seein Katherine (mostly the reason I chose to watched)

Liked Paul today but if they are thinking about anything more than platonic/professional with sister-face that's simply ewe. Not appealing in any sense

Umm I don't hate BM but Billy is pretty annoying and I don't necessarily think BM is connecting to the character the right way these days. The writing makes Billy self centered, irresponsible, chip on his rich lil boy shoulders yes, and BM is playing that but the character's heart (if one is supposed to exist) is missing under BM's potrayal these days. BM has great potential but he needs to gain better understanding of his character and what his character's dynamics are to be. PB is usually one of my faves but either him or Jack just annoyed me today not sure which one

Tomorrow's previews look uninteresting, especially that weak fake punch TL dishes out and the weak fall by the actor who plays Deacon (name slip me).

• Members

Like DeeDee has said, BM needs a strong director. The problem with Billy Miller is that he's never really had to play a soap character who has a heart or who has a strong family. He also hasn't had to play a character who has chemistry with others. His AMC character was LOOK AT ME, I'M CRAZY!!! That's it. It's easy to play crazy. It's not easy to play three, or even two, dimensions. It's not easy to play chemistry with love interests. And BM generally has a hard time with family or with love interests. He is cut off from everyone.

The show is very much at fault because they never put him in family scenes which would have established the Abbott bonds. Instead he returned as Jill's bitter son, nothing else. Then when they are done using Jill to push that awful Cane/Billy rivalry, they have him with the Abbotts again, but it's just more of the same - look at how hard my life is. I'm going to get everyone back to prove what a hard time I've had and now I'll be a big man. They also did nothing to establish any of his romantic relationships. Instalove with Lily, the laughable relationship with Chloe which seems to be rewritten every few months, the rushed and hollow reunion with Mackenzie...

I saw that promo of Nick getting in Billy's face and it's just laughable because these men are both so empty. Why are we supposed to care about these puffy blowhards? I mean I care in the sense of going on about how annoying they are but that's not the purpose, surely?

As for Billy's boozing, I don't expect them to delve into it immediately but I do wonder why an alcoholic is constantly drinking and no one comments on it. I'm not sure if there is a point here or if we are just supposed to think this makes him a man. This show is set in a very, very old school mindset, and part of that is that you're a real man if you drink a lot. If they could get away with it I'm sure the men would be puffing away on big cigars and going to strip clubs.

(Hey, that's how they can bring Brittany back...)

Archived