Y&R: Episode Discussion for the week October 19

• Members

Just because Traci is fat doesn't mean she needs to become the next Bert Bauer. Mamie could be the Barber-Winters/Abbott matriarch as she was for over 20 years. Traci is the same age as Lauren...would you put Lauren in that role or even suggest it? No! Because she's skinny and has huge boobs. Let's get real here. If I were in change Traci and Nina would be viable love interests like all the other women their age. I do think it would help the ratings to have more diverse body types as well as races featured. Beth Maitland and Tricia Cast are good actresses, both have tenure on Y&R and both have Emmys for their efforts. That helps prove my point. In the 80s and 90s they were given the big leading men. Michael Damian, Scott Reeves, Thom Biertz, Don Diamont--the hunks. They didn't pair them with another minority and stick them in a boring B-plot. They had the A-plots and could go toe-to-toe with Victoria, Lauren, Tricia, etc.

It really does infuriate me that Nina and Traci aren't on contract right now. You can't argue that they're too expensive, they'd probably be just as cheap as all these newbies coming on. Right now Y&R needs to re-focus it's cast, which is something many of us have been saying for ages. Let go of some weaker characters, pare it down and the characters you DO feature need to be strong.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't mean to bump Beth Maitland into an older age category. I agree that both Beth and Tricia could still play romantic stories or other dramatic stories. Unfortunately, Y&R is not that type of show now. So within the context of the current Y&R, I would like to see her return as the glue which holds the Abbots together.

She doesn't have to spend all her time pouring coffee, she can still be active, but she would be a wise counsel for her family, and for friends. She could help introduce the audience to new characters, and help the many green actors on the show in how to improve.

As for Lauren, she basically IS the matriarch of the Fisher/Baldwin family, when they bother to show her.

• Members

I don't think we suggest this because Traci is happily married and she doesn't have the baggage that Lauren carries (having to mop up behind Michael's relatives) If Traci were single, I'd be all FOR a romance for her. I suppose because she seems to be the one with the most brains in her head... then that's why we see her as a matriarchal figure. Jess certainly is no skinny minny anymore, but we still want a romance for Jill. I do see your point, however.

• Members

I think plenty of viewers like the middle aged female characters like Traci, Nina and yes I am including Lauren as she is in the same age bracket. They are all played by talented actresses that bring rich history and authenticity to their roles.

No doubt viewers would like to see them be important supporting players as the heart and conscience of their family (Traci), the overprotective mother yet still a spitfire (Nina) or the rock and stability of her family who when threatened can bring out her bad side(Lauren). I think the problem is these writers don't value family, so they don't value what these talented women bring to the show.

I though MAB did value family, but after what has happened over the past 9 months, I don't know what she cares about anymore. She seems to have totally bought into the Sheffer/Rauch style of writing and abandoned the Bill Bell/Y&R style except for a show here and there. She came on and poked fun of LML in her writing and yet a mere year and half after taking over she has adopted a similar style of plot driven writing relying on the death of veteran and legacy characters. Once again GC seems to be the crime capital of the world.

• Members

Question: Was Jack and Nikki's baby actually born or is this a rewrite of history when they keep mentioning that Nikki and Jack donated his organ's? I was just a kid at the time, but I swear Nikki wasn't very far along when she had a miscarriage. Am I remembering this wrong? Did Nikki ever fall resulting in a miscarriage?: Thanks to my grandmother I starting watching soaps at a scandalously young age, so I'm not sure if I'm remembering right.

• Members

This week's shows were so much better.There was a lot to like.

No Amber,Deacon,Gloria,Jeffrey,Daniel,Kevin,Jana etc

They were not missed.

Instead we had core characters mixed in with a few newbies.

Good scenes for Jack,Paul,Nikki,Ashley,Traci.

Even Adam was tolerable.That character had so much potential,that was squandered.

I hope we don't keep getting these contrived Sharon/Ashley meet-ups.

Can heart transplant recipients really be up and around after a few weeks?

I hate Restless Style,so not too interested in Billy's antics.

They need to get everyone back to Jabot and Newman.

All the above characters (Amber etc)could be written out and the rest of the characters fleshed out and given more airtime.

With Keemo,Scotty etc added to the mix things could turn around

• Members

Amen to both. Whereas I really like the SEC story and I hope they make sth. out of it, "Victoria" and "Adam" are just so incredibly bland. They make Joshua Morrow or any dayplayer look like Academy Award winners...

Restless Style is such a waste of space. But at least they finally got rid of Michelle Stafford there and with Billy and Chloe the whole damn could be interesting for five seconds. I was hoping that Billy would recruit Traci for some writing gig but well... Beth Maitland continued to be fasciniating to watch all week. She nailed all her scenes down. Next years Y&R's submissions for an supporting actress better be her and Stacy Haiduk...

Loved seeing Paul with Patty et al. It's great to see Doug Davidson back into some real non-PI stories. MTS was pretty good this week; loved the Ashley-Nikki face-off.

Overall except for the babyswitch and the whole doppelganger crap I still like the show a lot but am ware of my minority status with that. LOL I don't have any problems with Ryder or Amber whose stories seem to intertwine and hint at a possible return of Sheila...

• Members

I have to accept that the baby switch and Patty's double have taken place and move on.

Along with Ashley's insta-cure from insanity.

Haiduk is strong enough to make it work for me.

Last week pointed out that there are too many characters that are not needed.They were hardly featured and yet plenty was happening,

There is so much more that can be done with Mac,Jill,Chloe.Neil etc and dispense with Amber & co

One other thing-the staircase at the Carlton/Sharon's house seems to have changed.i remember it being more winding rather than the straight up one we see now.Anyone back me up on this?

Archived