October 5-9, 2009

Toups

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think it will take more time and hopefully more good storytelling and simple soap methods, as they have on DAYS now, for DAYS to go to second place.

I would like to see OLTL go up a bit but then with some of their current stories I can see why they might not.

I'd like to see ATWT go up.

• Members

No, GL wasn't canceled for LMAD. GL got canceled in it's own right. I'll never understand the utterly insane level of venom some GL fans have towards LMAD and even Wayne Brady himself. Neither have anything to do with GL's cancellation. CBS decided to cancel GL in December 2008, long before an LMAD pilot was even planned. Once the disastrous production model switch and the massive decline in writing that it forced drove away 750,000 viewers and lowered ad revenues over the last year and a half, they didn't have much choice. LMAD was simply the most promising super-cheap replacement CBS could come with on short notice. Wayne Brady is just a guy who took a job that he got offered in a bad economy. Who wouldn't do the same? He didn't do anything to GL or it's fans. The two shows have nothing to do with each other than the same timeslot in some markets.

I agree. I haven't seen much of LMAD because I'm not a game show fan but Brady is a good host and leagues better than Carey. I think they should put Brady on TPIR regardless of how LMAD does.

• Members

That is correct. CBS had no solid plans for a replacement for GL when they cancelled the show. People forget that the network also looked at talk shows and a remake of Pyramid before they finally decided on LMAD...but even that was several months following the cancellation announcement.

• Members

Some Days rating info per TVByTheNumbers.com. Looks like they had a pretty good week!

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/10/16/days-of-our-lives-matches-its-best-women-18-49-rating-since-december/30654

‘DAYS OF OUR LIVES’ MATCHES ITS TOP WOMEN 18-49 RATING SINCE DECEMBER

VERSUS THE SAME WEEK LAST YEAR, ‘DAYS’ IS UP 13 PERCENT IN WOMEN 18-34 AND 21 PERCENT IN TOTAL VIEWERS

FOR THE ‘09-10 SEASON TO DATE, ‘DAYS’ IS DELIVERING THE BIGGEST YEAR-TO-YEAR GAIN OF ANY MAJOR-NET DAYTIME SERIES IN TOTAL VIEWERS AND IS THE ONLY DAYTIME DRAMA UP IN WOMEN 18-49

UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif. ? October 16, 2009 ? NBC’s “Days of our Lives” has extended its hot start for the 2009-10 television season with strong results for the week of October 5-9, delivering gains versus the same week last year of 13 percent in women 18-49 viewers and 21 percent in total viewers.

For the week of October 5-9, “Days of our Lives” (1.4 rating, 9 share among women 18-49, 1.0/7 among women 18-34) tied for #2 among network daytime series in both the women 18-49 and women 18-34 demographics. “Days” matched its highest women 18-49 rating in nearly 10 months (since the week of December 8-12, 2008), and matched its strongest women 18-34 rating in nearly four months (since June 8-12).

Compared with the same week last year, “Days of our Lives” generated increases of 13 percent in women 18-49 viewers (946,000 vs. 838,000) and 21 percent in total viewers (3.0 million vs. 2.5 million).

Season to date, “Days of our Lives” is tied for #2 in the women 18-49 race and ranks #2 outright in the women 18-34 category.

Season to date, “Days of our Lives” is up 10 percent in women 18-49 (920,000 vs. 839,000), up 7 percent in women 18-34 (362,000 vs. 339,000), up 11 percent in women 25-54 (987,000 vs. 887,000) and up 17 percent in total viewers (3.0 million vs. 2.6 million). “Days” is generating the biggest year-to-year total-viewer gain of any daytime series on the major networks and is the only daytime drama up in women 18-49 viewers.

Ratings reflect “live plus same day” data unless otherwise noted. Season-to-date figures are averages of “live plus seven day” data except for the two most recent weeks, which are “live plus same day.”

• Members

Found these on TV GUIDE CANADA. I'm guessing they're accurate. If so, DAYS is definitely in striking distance of B&B.

THE IDIOT RATINGS (for Oct. 5-9)

Winner — DAYS increases thanks to Crystal Chappell

Loser — World Turns continues its decline and all ABC soaps tie

*Courtesy of Suds Report

1. Y&R 3.6

2. B&B 2.3

3. DAYS 2.2

4. AMC 1.9

4. GH 1.9

4. OLTL 1.9

7. ATWT 1.7

• Members

I got the answer to why GL fans don't like LMAD. Its the show that replaced GL and will always be looked at that way. Doesn't matter if it was in the plans or not it was the show that replaced GL.

DAYS is an amazing story right now. What a turn around for DAYS as its doing well online and making money overseas. Its definitely going to get renewed but the question is either on NBC or ABC. Since Comcast is taking over NBC very soon that could have an impact on if DAYS stays on NBC. Right now DAYS is doing better than most shows on NBC outside of prime-time.

I'm not watching AMC and OLTL regularly until they launch in HD during the new year.

• Members

Well, I can tell ya what - I'm a former GL fan - and every single soap out there had better be praying rotten ratings and rotten demos come in. Because guess what your networks will be looking to bring you if they can produce a game show as cheaply as they're doing, and get similar numbers? I would like to see ATWT continue for a few more years before every network decides to write off the soap genre in favor of talk shows, judge shows, game shows, etc. I would say if you're a OLTL, ATWT, or AMC fan, you might want to follow what happens with Let's Make a Deal's ratings - because you're squarely next on the chopping block. If you think you're not - you have some sad days ahead if LMAD's ratings are decent. I don't call that venemous, I call it intelligent. Doesn't matter when they made the decision to select LMAD - before or after GL's cancellation - it's still the timeslot replacement (in some markets). And if it works, start packing.

I'm actually astounded at the ABC fans out there that continue to argue over the demographics being so much better for their shows - namely OLTL and AMC. The demos are somewhat better than ATWT - but a couple hundred thousand women 18-34 and 18-49 are not going to save those shows in the very near future if something doesn't change. A couple hundred thousand women difference is starting to lose worth to advertisers - otherwise you wouldn't be seeing the budget cuts and the veteran firing that you're experiencing as well. It's here folks. That's all I'm sayin'. LOL.

Archived