Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Those were the 3 P&G soaps that aired in a block so it was natural to air them together. although that promo put the shows out of order. Maybe there was one for each and they all got top billing.

They may have done a LOL, Y&R and SFT ad as well to promote the 11.30-1pm block.

Secret Storm was gone by early 74.

• Members

That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying, @Paul Raven

Was Mindy already starting to mess with Roger at this point, or was this around the beginning of their rendezvous? Either way, it now makes total sense why Mindy found solace in Roger as Rick (once again) was wrapped up in saving Beth with Phillip. 

Sam is a one character that I am always shocked that GL didn't bring back in later years as she was fully connected with a lot of people on the canvas. It would've been interesting to see how she would've been when Phillip returned in the late 90s or even the last year of GL. I always felt they didn't explore Phillip's relationships with his siblings post this era. 

And Lil Billy being heartbroken over Billy not showing up to the wedding broke my heart. Bryan Buffinton was such a good actor and it never made sense to me why they let him slip from their clutches. 

• Members

I never understood why they built the final years of the show around the Coopers as the core family (no matter that it didnt resemble the Coopers of the Long years...) when you had JVD as the strong patriarch with connections to everyone in town. Instead of that cutesey pie simpering "Marina" why they did not bring a recast Sam back...she was friends with Harley, Phillip's sister, etc.

• Members

I am one who has always grieved the loss of something we might've had that we did not have. And, that was the implied promise of a romance of Young Michelle & young Bill, specifically Rachel Miner & Bryan Buffington as a couple. The only thing I was ever told, or read, or heard, etc. was that they were impatient to push Michelle on into an older sexuality & were not willing to wait to allow Rachel Miner to organically grow into young womanhood. And, so they recast Michelle & that, that was the step they took that fouled up everything for those of us who had great hopes pinned on those two. Naturally, I'd be interested in hearing anything about it.

• Members

I always thought it was a shame what they did with Sam and Dylan. They broke them up at the time that it would had made sense to have a younger couple generating story lines. Instead They tried to use Sam to try to prop up boring Daniel St. John and poor Dylan floundered for a couple of years as a third wheel in one bad relationship after another.