Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members
I may be in the minority but I like Nancy St. Alban as Michelle. I also LOVE Bethany Joy Lenz as Michelle but for a replacement Michelle, she held her own...except when she acted like a teenager. I did like the initial first few weeks of the amnesia storyline because her reaction to people saying she was this pillar in the town and all was a more realistic approach than the "help me, I can't remember." She was very angry that she couldn't remember and people had this opinion of her that she wishes she could remember. St. Alban played that well. This is in contrast to the Jack amnesia storyline playing at ATWT at the same time. It was more of a traditional amnesia storyline where he is whisked away and recovering and being like "I remember this song (which turned out to be CarJack's song during their wedding) but I am a poor nameless man who can't remember anything. " But Michelle's amnesia storyline was horrible after the first few weeks. And I think it lasted for a while, which made it 10x's worst. It was forever of "I am a raging amnesiac who acts like a teenager and screws my husband's brother because I can." And let's not forget this in that opening: http://youtu.be/reTDzhFtuIc

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

And not sure if anybody sees this persons channel but Spauldingfield's channel is a well done channel with character profiles every month. It includes characters like Bridget Reardon, Gus Aitoro, and Alexandra Spaulding (the Beverlee McKinsley Years). Thought giving the characters a label is kind of cheesy to me, its very well done for viewers who want to relive this show: http://www.youtube.com/user/Spauldingfield/videos

• Members

I'd seen their channel a few times but not enough to take a good look. Thanks!

That Michelle "hot" dancing clip is some homage to Harley's hot dancing, I'm sure. They were both frost queens by that time.

Those credits are a good example of why I stopped watching GL in those years.

Once I could accept that Ben would have few ties to Fletcher, I grew to really like Bomer - that he was so gorgeous didn't hurt. What they did to that character, along with, a while later, Jonathan screaming in my ear, were why I dropped the show for god.

• Members

LOL! I prefer AMC's Jonathan to GL's Jonathan personally. Mostly because Jeff Branson hugged me at an event (I didn't ask for it.)

I watch starting in 1996 and the Dolly storyline was conveniently placed during the time I was at school so I didn't watch. I know Reva and Annie were heavily featured at that point. I love Cynthia Watros and basically followed her career after leaving GL (sans Lost.) I love the music at that point and the sets were amazing. I even loved when they included the theme song as an underscore. I be happy if I hear the GL underscore from that time period again. I could just look on YouTube for an episode. Jenna's death made me cry like a baby but I didn't know her back story or anything other than her being Buzz's wife at the time. I do remember Rebecca Budig as Michelle (before she was a big deal) and loved her chemistry with the guy playing Jesse Blue. So much so that when Joie Lenz took over I didn't want to believe that Danny and Michelle were a couple until Lenz's Michelle and Jesse were together and was like....yeah I am Team Manny.

I actually was a loyal fan even through the horrible times (and there were many.) I loved when David K. first wrote for the show and got really upset when it started sucking (i think Wheeler's input was a factor.) I also HATED how much Cassie changed when Laura Wright left the role and also loved the fact that she left because of the fact that she couldn't see Cassie stealing Josh from Reva (even though she did once before almost but that was because of Annie and she didn't know they were related...I think.) Though I had to admit when Josh and Cassie kissed in the water, that was hot. But if I wrote the show, it would have stayed that way and not evolve into a relationship just a forbidden kiss that Reva finds out about. I would have had Reva still get breast cancer but have that be a way to get Josh and Reva back together. Cassie would have been out of town ousted by Reva when she finds out about the kiss. But that's just my thoughts.

• Members

Those character profiles are really well done. Just watched the two Alex ones. Marj Dusay is hilarious, such a comedienne. I really like Beverlee's look her final years on the show, her clothes and that short blunt haircut. She had great hair. As a WoST member used to point out, she was after all a Leo. I like when Nick is talking about celebrating his REAL birthday and Alex dryly says, "I think you're mistaken but I don't wish to argue the point." :lol:

• Members

Ugh that scene with Ben and Fletcher and the silly glasses really upsets me. I feel so very silly for letting Ben's death story bother me so much...

Maureen :(

Julie and Dylan were such a bad match - they look so awkward together. I wonder if the show always planned to break them up or if they realized it didn't work.

• Members

Marj was a harpy around everyone! It was too bad as I love her scene with FauxAnnie in the Spaulding Attic, "You got quite a bark on you, don't ya honey...well I have faced worse then the likes of you, and always won!" as Annie gets in her face and Marj doesnt blink and just laughs her off. They always seemed to write MarjAlex between a huffing and puffing pain in the ass to being too weak. If they had stuck to street tough Alex like the attic scene, she would have rocked it.

BevAlex is of couse my fave, but I LOVED Joan Alex...she had chemistry with everyone and had everything, she was a mean opponent but had a warmth about her, with scenes with Harley (hated, what Weston, Kreizman and Wheeler did to that relationship) Phillip, and even Alan. Embarrased to say this but when confronted with a problem I would love to be like JoanAlex, cool, calm, with a twinkle in my eye, a smart ass comment on my lips and a card up my sleeve!

I don't think NSA was terrible as Chele, she was just too old and matronly for the part at that time. There were parts of the amnesia story I liked, confusion and anger but then it became a terrible rip off of the AW Rachel amnesia storyline (which was hilarious...when shown her closet Amnesia Rachel says, "WHO would wear those dowdy things..they can't be mine!!!" If they simply had Michelle forget like, five years of her life, going back to before Manny..could be good. She could have been horrified at the person she became. all because of "Twu LURRVE" as Danny tries to win her over again.

And thank you, I could have gone forever without seeing Chele dancing in that t-shirt in that clip! LOL.

• Members

I don't know how I've never seen this before, but I just found it the other day and it was new to me, so I thought I'd share. It's a fanvid montage of the entire history of the show (loaded with clips) set the an orchestrated medley of nearly all the important theme songs (it's missing the early 70s one). Apparently, it was done by the Italian fansite of "Sentieri" (a.k.a. GL in Italy). I literally wept several times while watching.

• Members

WOW! That was awesome! Even the bad last theme was good in their version. I always loved the theme from 2003-2005 (which I think is titled True Light.) It's a shame that the graphics sucked because that theme could have worked. I know it's not as amazing as Hold On To Love, the short-lived 2002 opening and the 2005-2008 (technically it lasted that long since it was still used during the hairy arms era.)

I want to watch the 1995 christmas special with the clips of past GL moments. I love it so much. I think it aired as a classic episode at least 2 times it was so good.