Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Seeing Blake again in the 90s reminds me how badly cast I always thought Elizabeth Keifer were. I started watching the show years after she was on it and I refused to believe she was meant to be Holly's daughter. They looked the same age! And Maureen Garrett acted more youthful!

• Members

Stop copying my posts from 15 years ago! But yes, oof, Keifer, no. I had a rant not long ago about how if GL was ever reinvented for digital (and it is a classy old property CBS All Access could leverage to their hausfrau base) I'd beg Sherry Stringfield to come back. Even Elizabeth Dennehy, who I only knew from Star Trek TNG, was more arch, cool and mysterious. Keifer is a soccer mom by comparison.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I loved Sherry Stringfield so much that I viscerally disliked Liz Keifer for years. It was only during the atrocious "twins by two fathers" story that I came around to Liz, because that story was the absolute pits and she somehow made it work. 

• Members

I was on and off with GL in the 90s (as I was with pretty much every soap at that time) but I remember the first time I tuned in and saw that Sherry Stringfield had left the role, feeling very disappointed.  By then, I understood why actors left but it was a big loss for the character and the show.

Now I wonder if the casting of Kiefer was to make Ross seem more youthful. 

The illicit aspect of the Blake/Ross pairing seemed to disappear with Kiefer and ver Dorn paired together and it seemed more like a garden variety love (past) love triangle with Holly. 

It's strange how many 'couples edits' are on YT for Blake and Ross with Kiefer and ver Dorn in the role when the scenes with Stringfield and ver Dorn were far more steamy and intriguing. I also think the writing did Kiefer no favors-- her Blake was often written to be constantly pining away for marriage and children with Ross. It was annoying.

Dennehy gives me Glenn Close vibes, lol.  I was always expecting her to say "I will not be ignored!" I think her Blake would've been more cut from the same cloth as Roger but I have a hard time seeing her as being any part of Holly, let alone her daughter. 

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I wonder who else was considered for the Blake recast in 1992. I think it was posted either in this thread or the "They Almost Became" thread that Elizabeth Keifer originally auditioned for Eve but was cast as Blake instead. I can't think of any other soap names that were available during spring/summer 1992.

Same here.

I don't think so, seeing as how Elizabeth Keifer was already 30 when she started on GL.

• Members

I think Reva, even in her "hey day" had compassion...even if she had to trip over her big mouth a couple of times to find it. I can't imagine the pre resurrection Reva gloating and I think that it why I came to loose interest in her...and when Crasshold came into being those two sanctimonious broads were totally intolerable.

I never got the SS love as Blake, she was a cartoon..though a fun one...(I always thought she hulked over skinny little AM that it was werid...) I do think LK worked better as a softer Blake and never understood why they didn't transition the core family from the Bauers to the Marlers...instead they went with the dreadful Coopers.