Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

First of all, let me just say that if not for the chance to see Lisa Brown (Nola), Maeve Kinkead (Vanessa) and certainly MG again, GUIDING LIGHT's last few days would've been a farce and a complete waste of time. Right up to the very end, Ellen Wheeler and her team had no clue at all how to run any show, let alone one like GL.

Second, it's a testimony to MG's power and skill as an actor that Holly came out as "whole" and "sound" as she did at the end. Let's face it, this show treated Holly (and MG) shabbily for a very long time; and had another, lesser actor been asked to perform that same material, I've no doubt Holly would've ended up a total loon.

And I think I did. (Holly ended up w/ Ed, right?) I mean, given the circumstances - Roger was gone (and it would've been scandalous to have them back together anyway); Ross was, too (and no way would fans have accepted that knowing that he "belonged" with Blake) - having Ed and Holly back together was a nice, fitting touch. It showed how the two had come full circle after all the years and drama, but with the knowledge that they were wiser, saner people than before.

Here's the difference, I think, between Roger/Holly and GH's Luke/Laura: although the idea of a rape victim reconciling with her attacker is never cool (witness OLTL's "rapemance" between Marty and Todd, er, "Todd"), I, for one, would never have balked right away at the suggestion of Roger and Holly reconciling, b/c the road to that reconciliation was far rockier, far more character-driven, and included more realistic twists than running from the mob and saving the world from a supervillain and his "weather machine."

Sad words, but probably true. I don't want to disparage the efforts of those trying to keep the genre alive on the web and elsewhere, but unless and until someone figures out how to make this not just profitable again but effective, character-driven entertainment, part of me wonders whether soaps aren't better off going the way of westerns and live anthology shows of the '50's.

Words like "nadir" and "degradation" don't begin to describe that particular story. Sebastian/Holly made the "Nursery Rhyme Stalker" story look downright plausible.

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

One of the few things I appreciate from Gold's tenure as HW was the Billy/Holly/Buzz triangle. Taggert had started on Ed and Holly but of course Conboy and Weston dropped the ball big time there. I do give Wheeler and Kriezman the credit to making everything almost right with GL's ending with Ed and Holly together, Fletcher and Alex, Bridget and Dylan etc. Even though I hated the couple, we really needed a Fletcher and Holly scene though.

Zimmer looked good up until about 2005 or so, after that then she literally took up the whole screen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

There was a bit a of a flap in the early/mid 90's because GL didn't get as many covers, as they didn't sell. I think the one from that time (Lucy/Alan-Michael) was a low-seller. They got a few more covers when the ratings went back up in 1997.