Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

She was pretty good on GL. She's a very unique actress and was especially unique to GL at that time, and was a real contrast to Kim Zimmer. She became a very popular character.

I liked her friendship with Alex, which didn't end well.

• Members

When Sonni left town she was reformed (or was she, the goofy, "Smoking or nonsmoking? scene.) How did she and Alex end up? Would have loved to have seen Bev Alex chew up and spit out both the Annie Duttons thought I shudder to think if Alex would have fared better with her still in the role.

Forbes was great, so good that Zimmer was threatened, just like she would be years later by CW. LOVED Sonni/Solita/Will and Josh. The storyline was so dark and no soap would do it today ("Solita," and Will had a S/M relationship, Catholic icons were used to show that Sonni was repressed by her culture, there was a subtle homoerotic thing between Will and Josh..) As a matter of fact, Reva was the dullest and least complicated character involved in the storyline.

Love any storyline which has stages a cat fight in a convent on Christmas Eve!!!

• Members

I think Sonni and Alex fell out because of Sonni's schemes with Alan. I can't remember. Or something with Roger?

Kim Zimmer talked about the scenes she and Michelle had on a rotting rope bridge in Venezuela or wherever, and how Michelle was terrified, and Kim had to go and chug down several straight vodkas to get through it.

I should watch more of the full 80's episodes while I still can, to see the story for myself. I've just seen clips.

Speaking of clips, I like this scene with Josh and Trish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJr9uBLMxw8&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

There was a beginning of a Roger/Sonni relationship, but Michele left before the story was really told. I have the bridge episodes on VHS somewhere (got them from somebody who had them)... From what I saw she did a great job on the program, but the writers strike made the plot very convoluted.

• Members

Yes Sonni shot Alan and that led to them falling out, but they made up, they had a lengthy conversation about Sonni's past and why she did what she did at Phillip and Blake's engagement party.

Roger and Sonni had a brief fling right around the time Beth was returning and Alex was off convas for awhile so I am not sure she even knew about Roger/Sonni because they ended due to Blake's lies and right around the time Alex returned..

Sonni left Sprinfield on good terms with Reva, and said goodbye to Marah and Josh and their was even a montage of Josh/Sonni and they were parting and Sonni was boarding the plane

Edited by shadow

• Members

Is this Sonni's final scene? I've heard over the years Sonni's final scene was of her leaving Springfield yet as she did it was strongly hinted Solita had come out.

I love Michelle Forbes though. Is Alex's dream of Life After Alex from January '89 up on Youtube? I loved that episode when I first saw it online a few years ago on the old WOST site. Both Forbes and McKinsey had a wonderfully bitchy chemistry there.

• Members

Love those cheesy things...I see Zimmer gets the Eileen Fulton wink at the end. Geez Tersau is so made up she was orange..and I loved boring Johnny Bauer being oh so serious. Also love that they gave CB and BVK the "power," and "revenge," clips. Geez they were great..though I still always thought Bev's Alex could crush even CB's Alan...would have been funny to see her chew up and spit out Ron Raines Alan.

• Members

MOL was so cute back then..always wanted Rick and not Phillip back then..but we know who aged better. Weird that the focus on this promo was Rick's drug habit and Roxie finding him hugging that boring chick..it all took place during Bert's memorial service so you would think they would promote that. Also interesting that the Bauer kitchen switched positions and the door that Roxie walks in would now lead to the patio ( I cant believe I know that....)

It was too bad that Hutchison only had chemistry with Robert Newman...their one scene together I thought Seb was going to fall to his knees and they had Josh almost flirting with him!

• Members

I wonder how viewers at the time felt about Bert's funeral. I remember reading a script of the day, which was about Rick's addiction, as you mentioned. They didn't bring back any relatives - were they even mentioned? - and Richard van Vleet, who barely interacted with Charita Bauer, was playing Ed at the time. It seems like they didn't even really want to have a service.