Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Oh good. I wasn't sure if those were already in circulation. I didn't think they were so I posted them. The person also uploaded several others.

That opening scene of Annabelle just reading and reading, as the action plays out - it is one of those scenes which probably was very complicated to film, but feels effortless. That's true of a lot of the early stuff for Phillip/Beth.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

What I liked about Beth was that while she was an ingenue, she wasnt so sickly sweet that you wanted to barf. While she was nice, she also could stand up for herself and gave as good as she received. I dont know if that was due to JE playing the part, or if the writers wrote the character like that.

• Members

I think it was a little of both. Judi Evans didn't portray Beth as the typical, dewy-eyed, sweet-as-sugar heroine, and the writers responded to it. And really, even when Beth Chamberlin portrayed Beth later on, from 1989-91, I saw Beth the same way, but perhaps a bit shell-shocked from her kidnapping and subsequent inability to speak. It's only when Barbara Esensten and James Harmon Brown brought BC's Beth back during the Phillip/Harley era that Beth became a completely different -- and frankly, less endearing -- character, with the "victim aspects" of her character way overplayed.

• Members

When they made Beth a vixen/neurotic bitch, BC always overacted it. She got better later on but still I felt like she was overworking. I think she got a better balance at the end. Her 89-91 run, while a little dull, does seem better to me. I wish they hadn't taken Beth so far over the edge.

There's such a sweetness, earnestness, believability about Rick/Mindy/Phillip/Beth. It's hard to believe how much they all changed within the next six months or less of these episodes. You'd almost think they had totally new writers and producers.

• Members

One, I don't think "vixen" or "neurotic bitch" were BC's strong suits; and two, I feel like she struggled particularly because the one-eighty in Beth's character was plot-driven and rooted not at all in what she had known and played before. Who was this person calling herself Beth Raines Spaulding anyway? Where had she come from? What had happened to her between '91 and later on to merit such hideous changes to her personality and character?

Edited by Khan

• Members

Offensive, and again, not at all rooted in character. No way in hell would JE's Beth have hooked up with a low-life thug such as Carl, not after what she went through to get herself and Lillian away from Bradley.

Edited by Khan