Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 13k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I fully acknowledge that there are viewers who enjoy "camp" material, and I can get into it, too, depending where it's served. John Waters? Sure. But clones in Springfield or The Great Gazoo pestering Maggie Smith in Downton Abbey?

Nooooooooooooooooooooo, thank you. LOL! There's a time and place for everything.

The Susan Piper story feels like GL made it up as they went.  I didn't mind DD since it gave Hilary her first big story in forever. She was out of Cedars nurses station. Mixing it up with Fletcher. In the fake Latin America country of San Rios.  Then my girl Hilary gets blown-up in the SP story. I'm just indifferent towards TGITA one.

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

Don't even get me started: Reva the Ghost, Reva the Amish Amnesiac, Reva the San Cristocrapian Queen, Reva the Illegal-Immigrant Savior, Reva the Blind, Reva the Clone, Reva the Time Traveller...EEEK!

When TGL went over the top, it plunged into the abyss, and it plunged...hard.

TGL was never created or presented as a show to tell wildly-unrealistic fantasy/camp stories. The combination of slaughtering the pre-existing cast and resorting to Saturday-morning cartoon material was the series' downfall.

Of course. I know various viewers who vehemently disagree with me. There are those who loved Casey the Space Alien on General Hospital, Marlena Possessed on Days, Viki's Trip to Heaven on a Space Ship on OLTL, etc., which (to be honest) just baffles me, LOL. 

But, as previously noted: to each his own!

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

To my memory the Susan Piper story started off strong and ended with an interesting revelation about Brandon Spaulding, but it lacked logic.

First, Susan was one of the villains who had an unlimited budget, yet she terrorized a young couple for a memory box in a cabin worth one million dollars.  Meanwhile, she's got a lair in the Caribbean with a quicksand pit that must have been worth ten times the amount!  I mean if she cared that deeply about her secrets she should have used a vault, not a quaint Victorian cabin.  Or just start a Caribbean spa and use the quicksand for guests who don't tip well.

Second, while the Brandon twist was a shock, it had very little long term impact.  Not only did they die immediately after they were found, but their child suffered from recasting and reconning, so she was never a fundamental consideration in the overall Spaulding plotlines, like Alexandra and Alan.  And, creating a biracial character without giving them equity in stories is just tokenism.

Edited by j swift