Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

That's really rough with BandStandMike

I wonder if it really was his GL eps because it is true that P&G doesnt seem to do anything. I hope it's not them or the AW and ATWT channels are next. 

I wonder if it was his Ozzie & Harriet episodes or some of the music on his channel

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Mike said on FB that YouTube shut down his channel because he posted the same thing multiple times (apparently not noticing the difference between the various GL episodes). Apparently it's part of a grand scheme on YT's side to get rid of non-creators and non-copyrighted material.

• Members

That makes zero sense. So I guess we will just see more and more channels that post content from old shows disappear. 

I never really watched a ton of his stuff - I wish I had now. 

What would be the point of even going to Youtube without old shows? Listening to music...at best. Youtube is really doing its best to chase people away. I have little interest in most of the creator content on Youtube. That wasn't even what made them big in the first place - it was people putting up an SNL film (Lazy Sunday). 

I guess I should prepare myself for most channels that post any old TV content disappearing.

• Members

I was just thinking that I wonder if they were confused because the videos were often labeled the same over and over except for one or two elements (many December of (1991, 1992, etc.). Not that that warrants them taking down the channel. It makes me hope some of the other channels might survive but I'm not holding my breath. 

I hope maybe someday we can have these on some kind of private website, as some soap fans have done over the years. 

• Members

Just heard about Bandstandmike.....WTF?!?!

Please register in order to view this content

I'm not really a GL fan but I did appreciate all that he uploaded, and I liked hearing the Y&R previews during the credits...

YT is going down fast....

• Members

I still want a Bauer reunion with Peter Simon, Ellen Parker, Rick Hearst, Michael O'Leary and Rachel Miner. 

Speaking of upcoming GL Reunions 

Breaking Reunion News!!!

Alan Locher will welcome GUIDING LIGHT alums Paulo Benedeti (ex-Jesse), Tammy Blanchard (ex-Drew), Bethany Joy Lenz (ex-Michelle), Brittany Snow (ex-Susan) and Paul Wesley (ex-Max) to his YouTube show, The Locher Room. The virtual reunion will take place on Wednesday July 29, at 3 p.m. ET and can be viewed

Edited by Forever8

• Members

That is terrible news, re: YouTube!  I had discovered those early '90s episodes way late and was still a year behind the uploads—actually more, because I had hit a brick wall in June 1993.

I wasn't enjoying Buzz or Nick this time around, and Barbara Crampton's Mindy never worked for me.  Whereas in previous 1993 episodes there were other stories hitting their stride that held my interest, the focus on Hart and the lead-up to Billy/Vanessa's wedding all seemed so anticlimactic knowing as I did that Leonard Stabb and Jordan Clarke would both be abruptly gone in a matter of months for such unfortunate reasons.

I got distracted with the Zoom reunions and, so help me, the Loving murders (if you had told me circa 1999 that I would pass up the opportunity to watch full episodes of GL written by Curlee/Demorest for something written by Esensten and Brown...).  And I even skipped ahead a few weeks ago around the 4th to watch episodes from a year later with the return of the Bauer BBQ, and went down a bit of a rabbithole watching some surrounding scenes of Roger/Holly, Vanessa/Jenna, etc.

The 1993 dialogue and acting (for the most part) were still topnotch, though, and I knew full well there was so much exciting story I actually care about coming up in a matter of weeks: David/Kat, Roger/Holly, Holly/Blake...  I should have just skipped ahead.

A year or so ago, I recall BandstandMike announcing in the description videos that he was making decades' worth of episodes available on a flash drive, but there was a hard stop by a certain date–which, of course, had long passed by the time I got up to whatever episode that was.  Does anyone know if he ever revisited that offer?