Sylph

• Members

I wasn't implying that Sylph thought it would be some grand masterpiece. I just didn't want to post a scathing review and for Sylph to say, "Well, what were you EXPECTING?" I knew that the movie wouldn't be great, but I had no idea how absolutely BAD it would be. That was why I prefaced with what I said.

As far as the excitement goes, I meant that passively. I don't see Sylph getting all giddy about it like a kid in a candy store or how some get excited about the mere mention of Dame Agnes Nixon. I just knew he was curious about it, given how he posted articles in passing about the film and since the summer, not to mention having the preview poster with his avatar.

Dear God help us all!

I would have died laughing in the theater had they used the lyrical, Leona version of the song when the blue people have sex(See, this movie is SO unmemorable, I don't even remember the character's names!).

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I could see it getting nominations for visual effects and such but it better not get one for Best Picture.

We went last week to the theatre to see a few movies(payed for one and sat in on 4). Yeah it was a full day. This was one of them and it was not my choice. I have to say out of The Blind Side, It's Complicated, Invictus, and Avatar, this was my least favorite. The special effects were great, the story was weak, the music average, the acting marginal. But I will say it was visually appealing and that was enough to hold your attention for the duration. I am more about character and plot tha special effects and honestly if I go to see an average film, I'd prefer something lite and fun like a disney flick over this.

Invictus on the other hand - well the premise of the story was different from what I expected but it was masterful. Morgan Freeman as Mandela - was wonderful. I give Clint Eastwood props. It took years supposedly to get this film made because "those geniuses" felt Mandela was not box office gold. Eastwood found a way to tell this story to make it a general audience appealing film. Kudos to him.

• Members

Well, I don't believe they got away with this crap--the lame, boring, one-dimensional Pocahontas-in-the-future-story was even more simplistic than I expected it to be! Jake is John Smith! Neytiri is Pocahontas! Oh, and there's Colonel Miles, who's no other than Radcliffe (but suffers a more violent ending)! The anti-war, environmental message was so hollow and emotionless. And the dialogue was tragic. Evem more tragically, I was ready for it t be over about 49 minutes in. By the 1,5hour mark, I thought "there's no way they can get another hour out of this!" What I did love was the fantasy of it. Not the effects, necessarily (despite watching it 3D), but that kind of dreamworld it presented: The flowers that disappeared when you touched them; the things with the circley wings; the wonderful waters they swam in; the bird/na'vi bond; that humongous tree they lived in. I ate that stuff up. But it wasn't enough. I enjoyed it, in a weird way, but only cos I love, well, magic.

On a sidenote, people found it extremely funny when Jake and Pocahontas (it's easier to spell) had their sex scene--half the theater started laughing. There were other moments people found funny when they were clearly not meant to be so. :lol:

Archived