Sylph

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Box Office Update:

Domestic: $509,059,398 - only $91,728,790 away from Titanic

Worldwide: 1,641.5 billion - only 201.4 million away from Titanic

Avatar also now holds the record for fifth best weekend.

Also, Avatar just won Best Picture Drama and Best Director at this year's Golden Globes.

• Members

The Golden Globes are a popularity contest and often about who kisses most ass to the Hollywood Foreign Press, if you don't play within their circles, you often get shunned.

If this crap wins Best Picture at the Oscar's, it's simply because of its box office might, not because of its content or quality. Though, its over-saturation could also be also be a turn off for many Academy voters.

I can't believe this thing will pass Titanic in a few weeks, Titanic was a cultural phenomenon on all accounts, Avatar is not.

• Administrator

True. I loved the Ricky Gervais joke about the Globes being bought. LOL

I don't think it's simply because of its box office might. If that was the case, The Dark Knight would've got nominated (and I thought it should've! I was so disappointed it wasn't).

Avatar could be this generation's Star Wars, especially when there's 2 more sequels to come. What's amazing is that Avatar is doing this without any huge stars and without any pre-fans from books or comics - because of that, I can't believe it's going to beat Titanic either. And in this case, I don't think it's because all the fanboys are going to see it over and over, like it was reported with Titanic that fangirls went to see it over and over and over began. I think a lot of families are going to see this and the film appeals to both genders, all races and all ages.

• Members

By the time Oscar nominations are announced, Avatar may very well be the biggest grossing film ever (unadjusted for inflation, of course), that's going to be promoted heavily to Academy voters and how much money it's made for the sagging film industry. It's Oscar campaign season after all, 20th Century Fox has a very good campaign machine behind them.

Also, unlike The Dark Knight, Cameron is a past Oscar winner and has a lot more clout than Christopher Nolan will ever have with the Academy.

Unless the voters are too turned off by its appeal, and given that 10 films will be up for Best Picture this year, Avatar is almost guaranteed a spot in the final list. It has a very strong chance of winning too, but not because it's something original or intelligently told story-wise.

Yes, I think Avatar is an easily digestible film for everyone, not a specific niche group. But unlike Star Wars, I don't think the movie has much a cult following, it's more of a massive mainstream following (which Star Wars has as well), without the cult status.

• Administrator

Box Office Update:

Domestic: $551,741,499 - only $49,046,689 away from Titanic

Worldwide: 1,838.8 billion - only 4.4 million away from Titanic

Avatar also now holds the record for 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th best weekends.

• Members

I think the real issue is not that a mediocre film is a box office success, because that happens quite often, but it's that James Cameron is once again the King of the World! While I felt he was deserving of the Oscar (only Atom Egoyan was the more deserving that year, but hey at least he was nominated!), I shall not forget that Cameron left his wife, the wonderful Linda Hamilton for the trashy Pizza Hut waitress turned actress who thanks to a meaningless three lines as Rose's granddaughter who will never have to work again.

At least Avatar is one of the very few Cameron movies not to star Bill Paxton....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived