Eden Riegel getting hate mail!

• Members

Why should Eden extend to continue to play out an insulting story towards the lesbian community where a lesbian is not really gay just because they have not met the right man yet. ER did right for viewers who tuned into AMC in the belief that a real honest lesbian love story was going to written by AMC and refuse to play along.

There is no reason for her to help AMC/Pratt when they purposely wrote Bianca as a supporting player in her storyline.

As far as the contract, it was stated in SOD that AMC tried everything to get a certain actress to extend in January and that she would leave next month. That was obviously ER.

When JHC already spoiled in February the happy ending for Bianca/Reese, AMC already knew probably by December that both TB and ER were leaving. It would have been already decided.

I am frustrated with AMC being so cavalier with ER when she signs on, then to expect her to extend in order to continue their degrading storyline for Bianca.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There are many reasons why Bianca is a beloved character and why ER is cherished in the role. When ER stumbled upon the scene in 2000, I, for one, was happy we finally had a Bianca who was halfway decent acting-wise. TPTB had cast some perfectly wretched little girls before that time.

So we have a character who is a "legacy" character of one of the best-known characters in daytime. We also have a major "coming-out" storyline and some intriguing storylines centered around the character that are dramatic (the baby switch), sensational (Zarf) and fresh (initially, the lesbian wedding). We've grown up with the character and have seen her through many trials and tribulations. Ironically, Bianca may be the classic heroine in daytime tradition, although she is a lesbian and not the goody-goody (read: bland), no matter how the writers try to paint her.

Not only that, but we have a green actress who, again MHO, grew in her acting abilities on the screen as we were watching. I'm not saying ER is Meryl Streep or even "up there" among daytime's greatest actresses, but she does more than fill the bill of whatever the storyline is requiring. She is (maybe has) been a very likeable actress, both in her portrayal and in her dealings with the press prior to leaving. I, for one, enjoy ER as Bianca and am usually interested when she is onscreen unlike some of AMC's performers.

I do not fault ER for her yo-yo commitment to AMC. I think it's a sweet gig for her, and I'd do it too, if my job let me. I dare anyone to say who wouldn't. Take a job that is a steady paycheck, but lets you off every so often to take a wonderful vacation, pursue side projects and yet know that if the paycheck is there, you could always go back. Obviously ER is interested in doing "bigger" things, but let's face it, she's done this for several years now; no one is biting, save the occasional appearance on Law and Order or CSI. Her husband had an ingenious idea with IB, and that could also be a new avenue for ER.

I fault AMC somewhat, because of the way they trot her on to lure viewers back in. We've lamented over and over on these boards about soaps not "playing the beats" these days. How we're treated to one sweeps stunt after another with nothing of substance or rushing to the next in between. Bianca is AMC's sweeps stunt. I think it works for them too. I don't know who was freakin' fooled by Bianca leaving in February of this year. I thought I initially read she would only be around so long, so I wasn't surprised. So why was Pratt? I blame the writers for not plotting the story out so that it made sense when she left. Instead Bianca was yanked out from underneath the story and Reese was left dangling. Pratt has great story ideas, but he has poor plotting. He has no concept of the beats of a storyline; he is a premature ejaculator as a writer. Why should this have been any different for the Breese storyline? I didn't see the Zarf storyline end abruptly under McTavish/random writers and that was during a transition!

And I don't think it has anything to do with the lesbian storylines either. I do think it has to do with why ER chooses to come back sometimes, but she comes back for one-day stints when it's not about lesbianism too (Kendall's trials/comas/etc.) Are people angry about how AMC has treated its lesbian storylines? Sure. However, I think that has nothing to do with why AMC won't recast or why they won't "write for Bianca." OR why ER doesn't stay or "leaves abruptly."

So ER is getting hate mail? Whatever. Without knowing what the mail is for, it's not my place to comment on whether it is deserved or not. Is she using AMC moving to LA for publicity? Sure she is, but so do a zillion other actresses. Just this week, I was watching something and Tom Green was making a comment. Why was he there and what for? Publicity, plain and simple. To stay in the public eye. That's the name of the game in Hollywoodland. I don't fault ER for doing it; the public is obviously begging for a comment. Alexa Havins management gave one too. Any day now, so will Budig's. It's par for the course. Let ER rest.

If Bianca wants to come back full time or wants to show up for periodic storylines or wants to never come to AMC again, I'll live with it. It's just a show. There was an AMC pre-Bianca/ER and there will be/has been one after.

• Members

Eden can and shall not pipe down. It is her duty as Patron Saint of Lesbian Viewers and Living Embodiment of the lousy GenX/GenY work ethic to continue to play the gay press, soap press and fans. Tweet, Eden, Tweet.

How brave she is to still be able to mock the petty concerns of her former cast and crew when she, yes She, has had to endure a nasty letter or two. I don't know how she goes on.

• Members

I know, right? She's a fave of mine but I have no problem with the thought of her never returning to AMC. Recast and move on if that's what they want. I started backing off on Bianca when they used her to prop Babe.

But this level of venom? Who knew?!!

• Members

She ain't holding the show hostage. There are no people on the show that are being held back by her being gone. If you want to look at an example of a show being held hostage by as actress, the best one I can come up with is Nadia Bjorlin and Days. They wouldn't let Brady move on to someone other than Chloe because of Nadia's coming and goings on the show a few years ago. They had to put Brady in a obsessive story with Nicole that was just Broe angst even though NB wasn't on the show and lasted till NB came back for significant amount of time so they could marry off Broe.

• Members

ER isn't holding anybody hostage. TIIC are the ones who playing games. You can tell by what they done to all her love interest. The reason why the character was front & center in the past because they didn't have to write her a love interest. Now she needs a love interest the character can come & go as they want her too. It's up TIIC if the characters stays or go that's why they don't recast the part because that means writing a love interest for the character.

Like somebody post when they want the character to return ER doesn't have a problem.

• Members

No. I think Kelly and Daisy stopped dropping by because there was no one left in Pine Valley under the age of sixty to whom they had the slightest connection. Who are they going to visit: Ryan? Randi? Even the octogenarians they knew had basically become once a year drop-ins themselves. It was a stretch for Kelly and Angie to pretend to know each other at Myrtle's funeral since their time on the show didn't overlap. Maybe we'll see Daisy if Palmer ever dies, but I think we're more apt to see Gaskill's Bobby than Spencer or even Miller.

Archived