OLTL / The Evans family

• Members

I don't want Rachel "broken down" by Greg or to have her become a crack whore again; I think her strength is inspiring, and genuine (this is where I hold my tongue about Evangeline), and I think that's what gives her character such resonance even though she's a supporting player in so many stories right now - she's a very strong one, so she makes a real impression and her re-introduction has been, IMO, very solid. But I do think they can explore the limits of her control and what it hides; I think she can crack a little and give in to passion, because that's what soaps are about, I think she can show vulnerability, but I don't think that means her strength must be compromised, or that she can't reconcile it with new issues. Because it is a soap, sooner or later, Rachel is gonna suffer and get laid, not necessarily in that order.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the idea of Greg testing Rachel's self-control is good, but enough of the women on OLTL, or most soaps, live and die based on how men treat them, I'm afraid they may do the same with Rachel. I guess they could have a story where they both wear each other down.

• Members

Mother Evans' relative youthfulness could explain why Shaun was raised in Chicago by his grandfather of OPP renown, but I suspect that angle has been dropped. Greg has had a lousy introduction with little to do except stand around various local watering holes looking surly. He has potential, but it's fast waning because he's always in scenes with his truly awful brother and sister. Destiny needs to be recast and Shaun returned to background status. Those two are a better fit with that other famous Evans family from Chicago: Florida, James and JJ.

• Members

I like Rachel a lot and really wanted to like her having a budding romance with Greg, but I'm already over him and their relationship. It reminds me too much of Patrick's introduction and the insulting way that he treated Robin on GH. I didn't find that romantic or entertaining even though the actors' chemistry was able to rise above the horrifically chauvinistic and insulting dialogue. Actually, it is like RC borrowed the scripts of that story. How sad.

As for the complexions of the actors, it could be any African American family that I know. The ages of the actors are hard to buy.

• Members

Love the Evans family and Greg is very hot. I don't find a problem in Greg not being dark like his siblings. My sister is very dark and I am very light, but we have the same mother and father.

Shaun so obviously has an inferiority complex where Greg is concerned, and I am interested in seeing how it plays out provided the writers actually put forth the effort. It's easy, just make sure we keep Starr on a reasonable amount of time (for me, she can just go) because she should not be on 8 days a week. I want them to develop these stories and actors. It's rare, but that does not mean a girl can't hope.

It's too soon for the parents to come on board, so I will say this is a bad move. We need time with the siblings first.

However, 7 black characters on 1 ABC soap at the same time? Who died?

ANDREA

• Members

They can dress Tonye up to look considerably older than she is, heck between one season and the next on Weeds they had her take her glasses off and even then she looked a LOT younger. That woman can do whatever they throw at her. She is INCREDIBLE

• Members

I personally, TT's Greg is the odd-man-out. I can't stand him. I despise his acting style; he's too stiff and one-dimensional. I prefer Sean Ringgold's natural acting style. The girl playing Destiny is pretty bad, but if I can sit through countless other terrible white daytime actor's bad acting techniques, I can certainly give this sassy little sister a chance. None of them look like they could deal with a really heavy, dramatic storyline-- but, then again, who in daytime can these days. I just find it insulting that these two red-bones come on the show and instantly get on contract, while their darker counterparts languish in recurring status. I think Shaun has potential. Yeah, he's a big dude-- so what? Big dudes have game, too. For all we know Shaun played football in college (linebacker or something) and that's why he's such a big guy now (I've seen it in real life). Oh yeah,

Also, I agree with the other posters. African American families-- with the same parents--can have totally different skin tones. I have an old high school friend that was very dark and his brothers were really light-skinned. That's not even a stretch of the imagination.

I suppose DD's Rachel is okay, I guess. I just need for Shaun's character to catch a break and actually get the girl for once. I need for him to start his own business so he can mill around with all the other supposedly-working characters on this show.

• Members

What a ridiculous thing to say. Tifford and Duplaix both EXPERIENCED actors with noticaebly more equilibriumm, and Duplaix is playing an already established role with a long history and who is related to a leading character (Nora.) Resenting them for being “red-bones with contracts,” while making it out like the darker toned actors are getting the shaft is just dumb. Tika Sumpter is darker than all of them, and she’s on contract. Riggold, who you call “natural,” I call a walking corpse…everything about him, from his movements to his vocal inflection is just deadpan and woefully ameturish. And Lord Jesus, there are no words to describe just how bad Edmonds is. Both are terrible. I’m at a loss for why they were even cast in the first place. (Okay, well, I know why SR was cast. He was brought on to play the big, bulky bodyguard of Vincent Jones. Why they decided keep and build a family around him, I guess would be the question here.) Neither are deserving of contracts, as neither of them are seasoned enough to even pull off being supporting actors. Their dialogue more times than not is cringe worthy. Akin to watching a high school play. The idea of either of them being given enough airtime to warrant a contract borders on heinous.

I also don’t get your comment about Shaun getting the girl “for once.” When was he shown as being a repeat loser in love?

• Members

My comments were my opinion-as were your comments--so I don't feel they are ridiculous. As far as the whole 'experienced' actor thing goes, there are actors who've been around a long time and some on this site feel they couldn't act their way out of a paper sack. So, experience doesn't cut it every time. Daphne is doing okay I guess, but I don't feel one way or the other about her (I've never seen her on any other shows, to my recollection). I personally prefer the off-beat, quirky characters-- the ones that don't fit the traditional mold. But, that's just me, I guess. I suppose I see OLTL from a completely different perspective than you and quite frankly, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Archived