Sounds Like ATWT Really is Next to Go

• Members

I wouldn't begrudge LMAD success---I just don't think there's a way in hell it's going to succeed on daytime tv on one of the big three networks. (or four, if you count Fox, even though it has no original daytime programming)

Game shows can succeed. But I think they burn hotter and faster than scripted shows. They are certainly not a long term solution to CBS daytime woes. Ever since Oprah, the networks have tried stuffing the schedule with talk shows, and I can count on one hand how many have been truly successful and lasted more than three years.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Actually, the only "network" talk show over the last 15+ years has been ABC's The View. (I think Faith Daniels' A Closer Look on NBC was the last one before that). All the other talk shows you see on daytime are syndicated shows, which means they're sold to local stations, and you can see them on any network affiliate. So, for instance, you might see "Ellen" on your ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, or even CW affiliate, depending on which station in your market bought it.

Even Live with Regis and Kelly, while produced by the ABC owned station in New York (and overseen by Brian Frons), is not part of ABC's daytime lineup. Instead, it's sold to local stations around the country, and can appear on a local station of any network.

Right now, NBC programs one hour of "daytime" (DAYS; all of the Today Show is considered "morning"), ABC programs 4 hours (The View, AMC, OLTL, and GH), and CBS 4 1/2 (Price is Right, Y&R, B&B, ATWT, and GL/Let's Make a Deal).

• Members

IMO it was the rise of Oprah and other talk shows that came on after her (Jenny Jones, Maury Povich, Jerry Springer, Montel Williams, Ricki Lake) that lead to the decline of daytime network game shows. From 1986-1994, game shows were disappearing one-by-one from the networks's daytime schedules, with The Price is Right being the only one left for the past 15 years.

• Members

Point taken...I was unclear. I was trying to refer to the way individual stations loaded up on syndicated talk show programming as the networks started killing off daytime serials.

Daytime gameshows haven't succeeded in years. I see no reason why TIIC at CBS would think this would succeed in today's market.

• Members

You're right, I forgot that ABC has aired a talk show in The View's timeslot for over 20 years now (all the ABC shows you mentioned aried in that timeslot). They finally found one that worked, lol. (And yes, NBC had Leeza for awhile...I think it ended up switching to syndication, though, at some point).

• Members

I actually think a classic version of Pyramid might've had a shot at being successful, but maybe I'm just being optimistic.

But Let's Make a Deal? Oy. I'm not a fan of watching people humiliate themselves like that. Everyone on the old Let's Make a Deal (which I've only seen on GSN) always seemed really desperate for money. I felt sorry for them :(

• Members

If by "daytime" you mean "syndication"(since TPIR has been the only network daytime game standing since the cancellation of Caesar's Palace way back when), then I must say game shows have succeeded in the syndie market on their own merits. Millionaire is about to begin it's eighth season in domestic syndication(reruns are now being exhausted on GSN). Deal or no Deal remains steady, but definitely is not a failure to the affiliates who carry the show. Hollywood Squares enjoyed a lengthy run.

I can see why CBS opted for a network game show. It's something cheap, it's effective, and it's something that can eventually be sold into syndication(RE: Game Show Network reruns), which in effect, can promote the new episodes of the daytime show, should they decide to keep it.

I completely agree with you. Maybe the cost of producing at Kaufman Astoria was too much for CBS' pocketbook or something, or maybe they were afraid of there being too many big money winners.

I really, really hate CBS Daytime for getting my hopes up with this Pyramid pilot. For the first time since the show went off their air in the early 90's, SONY finally gets this concept, this game right(at least in atmosphere, which is everything on a game show).

CBS must've been looking for something really cheap and quick, something that doesn't require a lot of thought. Really tells you what they think about their daytime lineup. :(

Like the cast of GL saying their lines in a muddy field, getting ready for Reva and Jeffrey's white trash hot dog wedding? Because nothing could be more desperate than them trying to make that sh!t happen.

• Members

The news on ATWT is not surprising. As the networks' ratings plummet, they have to find ways to cut cost and generate revenue. I cannot even in good conscience plead ATWT's case for another year. The show is a disaster.

• Members

And don't forget the current version of Family Feud officially became the longest-running incarnation of that show after the 2008-2009 season, beating the original network show's nine-year run. WoF and J! are still going strong after 25/26 years in syndication. Street Smarts had a decent run (in the world of game shows, five years isn't considered a failure lol).

As for network daytime, they simply haven't tried, at all, for over 15 years. TPIR was daytime's highest-rated show consistently until Bob left, so that's a testament to what game shows can still do in daytime.

I just wanted the new Pyramid :(

• Members

So now we know why DK - GL show killer - is going to ATWT. Now he can kill the last 2 PG soaps. What an accomplishment, Davey boy! But, like Ellen says, at least he's "cute". Ugh.

Really, ATWT looks alot better than GL did when GL was at this level in the ratings. At least they have preserved some of their traditional sets, and they seem to be smarter with the location shots. All that's well and good, but the writing still sucks donkey nads. Seriously.

I can't help but wonder why ATWT hasn't been given the mandates to trim cast and go to all hand-helds like GL was? And GL was at a higher point in the ratings than ATWT is now. They keep ADDING cast - and expensive vets to boot. How is that possible? ATWT demos are nothing to cheer about.

Peapack, NJ: Oakdale happens here.

• Members
The Family Feud news depresses me because I hate the show now. It moves way too fast, Sudden Death kills any sort of work any of the teams have done, and Richard Karn should still be the host.

And yes, TPIR was daytime's highest rated show, even besting Y&R.

Pyramid(given what I've seen of the set pictures) would have easily brought CBS out of the ratings gutter. It's a household name people know, it's a great word game, and it's fun to play along. People are excited about LMAD and Wayne Brady, but I wonder how many people are going to stick around after the kitsch factor wears off.

One of my old affiliates airs Millionaire in PC's old timeslot at 11AMCST, directly following The View. I think ABC-NY is one of very few affiliates that airs Millionaire in on a high-power station.

Funny story: One day, I was watching The View at home and she called me and I heard the same thing going in the background for her too and I asked her, "So, you watch The View?" and I finally got her to confess that her lineup was Regis and Kelly, The View, and strangely enough, Who Wants to be a Millionaire, which doesn't seem like the kind of show my mom would get into. Next, I fully expect her to tell me she loves Erica and Ryan.

Archived