Sounds Like ATWT Really is Next to Go

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But I was just reading at Facebook that the gays on daytime are saving daytime. Couples like Otalia and Nuke are so popular that they are what is keeping soaps going these days and the future of soaps too.

It's so sad that the popularity of these two couples didn't translate into better ratings. But the same can be said for so many other so called popular couples who are supposed to be saving their shows. If they are truly saving their shows where are the great ratings.

I'm just a firm believer that daytime soaps are beyond the point where any one couple or star affects ratings that much anymore.

• Members

Ruxton Hills you're speaking my mind today!

I just wish I believe game shows were going to be any type of successful replacement for soaps. Even if the costs are lower, I don't know if it will make that much difference. Shouldn't CBS be more worried about fixing the fast fading Price is Right?

• Members

I really wish that ATWT would get serious about survival. Get a real writer. Cut the cast in half. Bring back Martha Byrne. And so on.

If CBS goes out of the soap biz, I can see NBC or ABC picking up B&B and/or Y&R. ABC would cancel OLTL to make room while ratings-challenged NBC already has room.

Nuke and Otalia are good couples but I don't think gay couples increase ratings because I don't think that over the long-term any couples increase ratings these days. It comes down to story-telling and the day to day execution. Even if people like Nuke, they have no reason to watch the whole show. They can just watch Nuke on youtube. Until you get people interested in the whole show, ratings will continue to erode.

• Members

I still don't get the assumption that ABC would cancel OLTL before AMC. Although I still think all three ABC shows will bow out together, if they were to pick one to cancel, right now, I think it would be AMC. ABC doesn't even mention AMC in their press releases (which are less and less frequent, lately). In the most recent press release last week, GH, OLTL, and THE VIEW were all touted...but no mention of AMC. And it's those press releases that are put out for advertisers. So if they don't feel like they can say anything good about AMC's ratings to advertisers, yet they can about OLTL, why ditch the other one? (And BTW, the whole legacy arguement doesn't fly with me, not in this environment. CBS ditched the oldest soap on the air, with the longest legacy of any of them. $$$ are all that matter to the networks these days....and OLTL fetches more of them than AMC).

• Members

Letting Martha Byrne go was the biggest mistake Goutman made. The ratings started slipping once she left. ATWT had plenty of time to get a real writer. They could have gotten someone without it costing too much. No one cared to do so.

I think Nuke railroaded ATWT. So much was spent on the hype that the real meat(the Vets) were left on the sidelines. What purpose did it serve? Not much...ATWT ratings bumped up a bit and then went way down. Men viewers for ATWT is WAY down compared to last year. Where have all the male viewers gone? Why did they leave??

• Members

What a load of crap. I'll bet this doesn't make it a year. LMAD might have been funny in the early '70's when it was novel to see people dress up and make idiots of themselves, but nowadays? *snort* Nowadays there are people all over the networks and the 'net making idiots of themselves.

And an hour long? GMAFB. Apparently Goutman didn't tell his bosses at CBS no one is willing to commit to original programming five days a week, an hour a day anymore.

Archived