GH: August Discussion Thread

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thought I'd give this a bump since some people may not have seen it yet and are still posting on the July thread...

haven't seen the most recent episode yet, but hopefully it was great start to another month of ABC's longest running soap...

• Members

Excellent idea. Considering that just about nobody posts on the GH discussion thread, any comment should be welcome without having to justify it as positive or negative. This isn't the loony frenetic Y&R thread.

Responding to Dion's post on the other thread. Yeah, the MVJ hating Robin and Patrick is another bit of Scrubs fanbase delusion. I never see any of the great difference in the scripts that the Scrubs fanbase devotee claim to see. For all the praise, I see heaped upon GH writers on this board, I don't see any of them as anything special. MVJ and KH don't impress me and there isn't much difference in how they write for Robin and Patrick. Anyway, they do not have any kind of power on GH to determine if the writing for Robin or Patrick is good or bad. It is clear that Guza and Phelps direct the characters in specific directions and that their vision, particularly Guza's, wins out in the end.

Brought this over:

I wonder what Sarah Brown thinks about all this love thrown LLC's way and that she is being positioned as a rival for Sonny's affection. Sarah Brown is no fool and likes being the center of attention. I saw that she told her fans that she may not re-sign because she does not like playing such a dark character. More like she doesn't like that the character is not popular. Ha. She isn't going any where in this economy, but I cannot fathom what this means for her new version of Carly.

• Members

Well, I'm not really crazy about Sam and Jason getting back together.. But it's all part of GH's plan to keep Jason and Liz apart forever. =( Seems like a negative post, I know. Besides that, GH has been okay. Might like Lulu/Dante

• Members

Darling. We're not nobodies! July's GH thread reached 5 pages and I think that's fairly decent for a show that jumped the shark a decade ago. And I like posting here precisely because it ISN'T da crazy Y&R thread.

I think SJB made it clear from the moment she signed on in 2008 that she needed to pay the rent. After all, she'd just had an editing suite built into her house and has aspirations to direct and produce. When she re-signed earlier this year, her reasons for doing so consisited of "the economy, the economy, um, she's a RLY interesting character. And, the economy."

The sad part was -- I was really loving her portrayal of unapologetically twisted Claudia! The Moobsters finally have a worthy rival. I'm sorry Brown feels that this is somehow a disservice to the character of Claudia. If we were forced to like poor widdle Claudia all the time (like we were in 2008), I think she would be much more hated.

Basically, Brown can never go back to 1999/2000 when she and Carly were at the height of their popularity. GH is different. Daytime is different. And Carly is VERY different. :lol: What she does get, though, is a character that she and the writers can build on over an extended period of time. I've seen SJB in some of her Primetime roles and honestly, a stand-alone hour-long episode is not enough time to flesh out the kind of female characters Sarah Brown wants to play. At best, she is guest-starring or in strictly 5-lines-of-dialogue supporting roles.

And for the record, a heart-of-gold character like Olivia? I cannot imagine SJB ever getting satisfaction out of playing that. Kissing Maurice ain't all that, Sarah.

• Members

Actually, I've only just begun watching a spotty episode here and there starting the day of Claudia's crash -- and even that was by accident. I was watching something else that went to commercial break and just clicked the jump button on my remote and I saw all of this CGI stuff with Carly walking around in the dark with a flashlight. I was like "what the hell is going on?" and tried to understand what was going on. I thought that sequence went on six hours too long, though -- but that's another story.

Honestly, this show is doing nothing but retread, and it's tired. Retread with Sonny's latest broodmare having a miscarriage. Retread with Sam and Jason. Retread with Alexis being screeched at by Carly in order to show Alexis as being the smartest idiot ever. Yes -- smartest idiot. That woman is too intelligent to be this dumb! I do like Maxie and Spinelli, largely because it's an attempt at unconventional romantic comedy. I am, however, highly annoyed at the fact that Pratt and Guza apparently had some pillow talk and decided to both use the "Desperate Woman Sells Twin Daughter" story within weeks of each other.

On a purely superficial note: Can Edward stop wearing Kangos indoors, please? It's not as if covering his baldness will somehow hypnotize us into believing John Ingle isn't 81 years old. :rolleyes:

• Members

Good point. LOL!

The problem is that Guza has no vision for Claudia outside of Sonny's orbit. I don't see them writing out Claudia, but Claudia without Sonny means less airtime for SJB. Killing that baby and building up the Sonny/Olivia whatever as well as the introduction of Dante puts Claudia on the outside for the time being anyway.

Yes. He had a procedure to remove a cancerous growth.

• Members

Good point! I'm still lost, since I wasn't watching last fall when the whole Sonny/Claudia marriage happened. What's the purpose of the marriage, and how is it that the Zacharra's are in alliance with Sonny? Does this marriage now neutralize Claudia, thereby making her useless if she were to be removed from Sonny's orbit?

I don't get mob stuff in general -- let alone make believe mob stuff where rules are made up as they go along.

Archived