Y&R: Potpourri Thread 2

• Members

Then Rauch has to go, too.

The corporate storylines are (or were) the backbone of Y&R. Victor is a self-made man. He defines himself by his business success. Characters like Dru went from nothing to something through their careers. These jobs allow all the major plays to interact in a natural fashion and create natural rivalries and alliances. GH wouldn't hire a writer who couldn't write mob stories or hospital stories. B&B wouldn't hire someone who couldn't write fashion stories. Why is Y&R shooting itself in the foot? Jack used to define himself via Jabot. Now he defines himself via Sharon? WTF?! Jabot, Newman and Chancellor were natural places for characters to share awkward exchanges. You all know I hate Billy & Mac. That said, what if Mac had done the character-driven thing and joined CI as the head of Philanthropy. What if Billy, as a Jabot executive, had to go over to CI for business. There would have been plenty of natural opportunities for them to run into each other and play the awkward romance. That would felt a lot more real and given dimensionality to their "romance". Let's say Ashley has to be homebound. If she's still working from home, then there should be plenty reasons for Jack, Billy, and even Neil to stop by to talk business. Back when Adam was a character we cared about, that could have led to some good moments of Adam almost being caught. What about the Scoobs? Instead of chipmunks and Art and ambiguous rape and clint raddison, what if these full-grown adults had real jobs? What if Amber actually started a fashion line and it was funded by CI, so Amber has to check in with Kay and Neil at work. Maybe she hires Kevin as her accountant. Maybe Daniel becomes jealous because no one wants his art and he ends up making ends meet at Crimson Lights. There is so much you can do and so much room for play when people have jobs that they actually go to.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Jill is too busy propping an impostor son to focus on business.

Jack to too busy being Sharon's doormat and proppping Patty Jane to focus on business.

Victor is too busy being dumbed down by this stupid gaslighting storyline and feeding his precious fragile Ashley to focus on real business.

Neil is nonexistence other than being there to hold Lily's hand, like the other African American characters on this show.

Ashley is just too stupid to focus on anything these days.

They killed Brad off with no fallout.

John Abbott is dead

Victoria is a pod-character, severely miscast, and is no longer the fierce business woman we knew under Heather Tom and better writing.

Nick is just led around by his dick.

Can anyone honestly tell me some, if not all, of these characters would be better off working and dealing with that side of their lives for a while?

Maria Arena Bell and her her henchmen haven't expressed one substantial interest in Y&R's corporate side since the beginning of their tenure with this show.

Corporate intrigue is being sidelined so the cover of Shitless Style can be be propped each month, because that's the only professional side allowed to be on this show! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Shitless Style hasn't been popular from DAY ONE, yet Maria still keeps her personal pet project to show her fashion friends how into fashion she still is. I don't know one person who has ever been fond of that magazine or anything related to it. I know it has not been the center of any storyline recently, but almost every month, there's some conflict with the cover of this stupid magazine, yet they can't do anything with the big corporate entities on this show.

• Members

So, anyone heard about this disaster of them exploring who Katherine's real daughter is and it's probably going to be someone already onscreen?

Does MAB ever learn that she creates more problems after attempting to solve them?

Watch it be Gloria, so I can quit this show for good without looking back.

This is the writing regime people want to give more time to? :rolleyes:

• Members

So, I mentioned how bland and fake Y&R was beginning to look in HD in the discussion thread.

When I compare it to GH in HD, and on its own merits, the show is beginning to look bland as hell. On GH, the sets are beginning to look more realistic, and the lighting is finally cinematic, and the COLOURS REALLY POP! GH is looking like a beauty in HD, while our dear Y&R is starting to look bland and flat.

Maybe someone pushing 80, like Rauch, wasn't a good idea to handle production. I initially thought he improved the production and look of the show, well, not anymore. What Jill and company have made GH look like in HD with budget cuts is really starting to put Y&R's look in HD to shame.

• Members

I guess we saw an improvement due to the really low production standards Y&R had before Rauch joined... but I won't blame it all on that because the production has now started to slide backwards.

• Members

I completely agree. With this damaged show, now is not the time to pursue this.

Well, I don't see that. I have been watching GH more, although I guess I'm not getting the best sample--Soapnet and ABC-online. It's not had the chance to sign on my Samsung. Maybe I need to try that once.

I still like how Y&R looks. The problem now is that the P&G shows and B&B have set the template for what external location shoots can look like. (I even like recent OLTL and AMC remotes). So all that "fake outdoors" stuff is kind of distracting to me. There is no way, though, that Y&R can reasonably simulate Wisconsin near LA. LA exteriors work wonderfully for B&B, but I think Y&R is stuck indoors. That limits it.

I guess GH isn't going outdoors much either, eh? Yesterday, when I watched (episode was set at night) everything still struck me as so dark.

• Members

Especially after all the DNA mess we've had to witness this past year.

I'm starting to beleive, like death, victimization of women, DNA reversals/additions are another one trick pony of this writing regime. And you know what shows more of their incompetence? They don't even space this stories apart lonf enough for the viewers not to see how repetitive they are.

Yes, pelase try it once and judge the picture quality of GH in HD when compared to Y&R in HD. The colours and background on GH pop and there's so much depth, whereas Y&R is starting to look very bland and cheap, and all the colours are just there, nothing noticeable. GH also seems to be taking advantage of its look in HD, while Y&R doesn't care anymore.

Y&R used to do location work in LA, in places like streets, all the time. But we had a better producing team back then. Shaughnessy should come back or they should steal Jill from from GH. :)

LA can be a reasonable simulation for Wisconsin in the summer, it won't be 100% the same, but as long as they keep things simple, a location shoot in LA can be worked out. Don't tell me they can't go to one of the many parks around LA or something?

Nope, and it was a night episode, so things were supposed to be dark. Look at GH's cinematic lighting in HD, it does a better job of enhancing its picture quality in HD than Y&R's does at the moment.

Archived