Y&R: Potpourri Thread 2

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Michael... Every time I see your avatar, I can't but think how much interesting would it be to see a Daily Show or any other late night satirical program head writer to come and write for a soap. And not because of the humour, I generally dislike humour in daytime dramas, I just believe it would be a very, very intriguing combination. :D

• Members

If Lily didn't have to do this cancer storyline & still have a falingo ut with Cane. & Now Daniel falling out with Amber it would have been a good time to have them talk. I know they try it at the wedding but that was wedding.

Do anybody think that maybe something happens to Mac where JT have to save her. I just hope they don't redo when JT carried Colleen out the burning buiding.

Oh I'm sorry I thought this was Y&R daily discussion thread. But I still think these writers are shitty.

• Members

The thing is, you can be dark and be creative, diverse, and interesting.

But Y&R is currently dark, convoluted, poorly defined, crappily executed, and laughable for all the wrong reasons.

The show isn't gothic and diverse, and if it were, it could work. One could argue Y&R's done its fair share of gothically portrayed drama over the years, and its production certainly always had a gothic tint (though, lesser now).

• Members

Alvin, I see your point. I believe, however, that you have to walk before you can run. IMO, dark or gothic stories are not easy to do well. Maria and her henchman can't even do your basic kitchen sink story well. It's quite ridiculous for them to attempt a Psycho knock-off when they can't even do a decent Harlequin-style romance well.

I don't even mind Zapato dying in theory. I don't remember if it was me or someone else on the board (probably me but I just can't recall at the moment) who said that it would have made a lot more sense for Adam to kill Zapato as a way to hurt Victor instead of wasting his time torturing Ashley. The problem is that the darkness exhibited by MJ, Adam, even Deacon, doesn't make any sense. It's all plot driven. Sharon needs a story so Adam is going to take her baby. Jack needs a story so MJ is going to rape him. Amber needs a story so Deacon rapes her. It's all backwards. MJ and Adam need a reason to be on canvas so Victor is going to bring MJ to town with no real plan and turn a blind eye to Adam even though it makes Victor look like Mr. Moron. Days of our Lives has dark cartoony villains, too, but at least their motives make sense. Kate is and has always been unnaturally obsessed with Lucas' romantic life. So, of course, she's going to bring the pain to the woman who cheated on her son. If Maria were wrting DOOL though, Kate would be torturing Brady because he happens to be Daniel's close friend. Who cares if it makes no sense? Brady needs a story, darn it! So Kate will torture him just because. On OLTL, Tea is obsessed with Todd and will do anything to have him. If Maria were writing OLTL, Tea would poison Layla, who happens to be Vangie's sister, who happens to be Todd's former love interest. Does that make any sense? Hell no. Yet we have two characters, MJ and Adam, who inexplicably target other people then the ones they're actually upset with. If Maria wanted to give Ashley a story where she's tortured, it should have been VICTORIA not Adam who was the villain. Vicky has a lifetime of reasons to hate Ashley. Or if Maria wanted Adam to torture someone, he should be torturing Victor, Victoria, Nick, Nikki, Heather or Jack. Six credible victimes - what more does Maria need? Anyone else (Ashley, Estella, Mary Jane, Rafe) as Adam's victim just doesn't work as drama. RANDOM is not drama. It's not aesthetically pleasing. MJ killing Zapato is the same crap. I'll even be generous and give MAB a pass for MJ raping Jack. At least, that makes sense in the context of MJ's desire to be close to Jack. But MJ killing Zapato is just dumbass.

• Members

I agree completely, a lot of the stuff from this writing regime seems to come out of left field and everything seems to be so poorly executed.

I can't even think of a genre of storytelling this regime really excels at, to tell you the truth.

This regime seems so caught up in some type of hype that they sometimes go too far to the point where they didn't need to go in an effort to show that they can, not because it works or is good for the story, just for show.

My biggest hatred for this regime is their one trick pony antics, crappy pacing, and lack of general storytelling talent. I'm so over them.

• Members

That's what I keep coming back to with Y&R lately. Can they tell any story? Do they even know what they're trying to tell? What are they doing exactly?

I'm still trying to figure out what the hell the point was for the Adam/Rafe storyline.

Archived