OMG Y&R Brenda Dickson!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Something in me wants to believe that Brenda is fooling us all. She's really a very, very intelligent woman, and very articulate, she's generous and selfless, and she anonymously donates enormous sums of money to charities all the time. She plays the "Brenda Dickson" character for shits and giggles.

• Members

As much as I love Jess as Jill and as talented as she is, I'd take Dickson over Jess any day. I mean come on, can anyone imagine Jess in this scene? Just like at the way Dickson sashays out of the mansion in her luxurious fur!

• Members

This has to be one of my all time favorite Jill vs Kay scenes. Has Jess Walton's Jill every referred to Katherine as "Kay?" Brenda Dickson really is the definitive Jill, no matter what. After all, when you type in "Jill Foster Abbott" on YouTube, all Brenda Dickson scenes come up.

• Members

The scenes where I can't see anyone else but Brenda as Jill are the truly high camp moments like the one where Katherine forces her to work as a maid and she fantasizes electrocuting the old dame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mruYO5GZnFE...feature=related

I have a hard time watching Jeanne in scenes where Katherine is drunk. She reminds me so much of some of my relatives who were alcoholics, and sadly, some of them weren't as successful as Jeanne in keeping off the bottle.

I wish we could have seen more of the tender side of the relationship between Katherine and Brenda's Jill. Sometimes I wonder if that developed more in later years because Jess plays up that side more than Brenda did. One of the things I miss the most about Brenda's Jill is that her Jill took Katherine all the way over the edge, whereas Katherine has slowly become a saint since the late 80s. I think the flawed, self-destructive Katherine was riveting TV.

• Members

IMO that's the same Jill that I see side by side with Liz in all those scenes were Jill visits Kay with Liz by her side. It's Brenda's Jill that I see paying daughter to Liz more than another other actress that has played Jill.

I really agree with that. But I think it was the Brenda/Jeanne dynamic that contributed to that more than Jess/Jeanne. I think more so today we may have seen a softer touch to Jill and Kay (if Brenda was in the role still), but up until that point, it would have still been war after war because those wars drove stories for 3 decades.

For me, I find it to just be a comedy watching Jill today become a manicurist, but if Brenda were playing Jill and that happened, I think there would be more depth to it. What I mean by that is, Brenda played the Jill who crawled her way out of the gutter to shed her plebeian roots, I don't see that in Jess. And I think that would parallel Brenda's own life as she started out poor. Anyway, regardless, IMO, there are just some versions of Brenda's Jill, I just can't see Jess doing.

• Members

Brenda was Jill for most of those key moments with Liz. I wish those were available for fans to watch, because for the most part, only the later Brenda material is out there, when she was on her own without any Fosters. I'd love to see more of her Jill with Liz, as I think that is a critical Jill relationship which we barely see now. I think it's a shame Liz has been such a minor character over the past 25 years.

I agree that Jill as manicurist would have more depth with Brenda, although Jess is doing a great job. To be honest, while I believe Jess is doing a wonderful job, I think a lot of the material for Jill this year has been more like Brenda's Jill. Jess plays Jill with much more pain and I think the sparring with Katherine, the stuff with Gloria and Jeffrey (which only works if Jill steamrolls right over these annoying gnats), the stuff with the manicure job, all of that could have come out of an 80s episode.

• Members

Maybe in the acting and ego department, but I don't think la Zimmer is this delusional.

Who knows? Brenda could be telling the truth. There could be a secret following out there of hers, 11 million people to be exact, all a part of the Nielson households, who bow to her feet and answer to her every beck and call. They're the equivalent of Claymates or Taylor Hick fans.

Archived