Y&R: Week of June 15-19, 2009

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LOL. Now we see what kind of 'actor' you are! :lol::lol:

I confess seeing that pic, I miss her. I do miss the vivacity. We need a blend of that plus the Darfur horrors in back.

Days is the miracle show. Even if the comeback is relative (all soaps are in the sewer), ANY show with positive momentum in this climate is quite worthy of note. Positive in the face of universal negative means EXTRA positive. I do think Days' limited online availability (who wants to pay for ITunes?) means that viewers still get driven to the network broadcast.

And the pared-down canvas definitely means that if you like the stories and characters, you'll see them.

Y&R had positive momentum ratings-wise (less than DOOL) in the period since Josh Griffith left. I suspect (haven't done the analysis) that it is flat now...but even flat is good in a declining market.

If the dissatisfaction is as widespread as this, we'll see it in the ratings. Dissent grew and grew during the LML era, but it didn't hit the numbers until the second half of LML's regime (after her "legacy" teammembers left). So, if we're in the same cycle, we should see the numbers starting to decline in these next months.

• Members

DAYS does one thing that Y&R needs to follow suit -- their men are always shirtless and there's lot of love scenes. They know eye candy is a big a part of the show. You don't need to give JT a story -- just give him a shower scene each month. Cane & Billy should be mud wrestling every sweeps. Adam's home all the time -- why is he always dressed as if to go out, especially with that chest? Even Nick could be naked more often. Why can't he hit with Phyllis while in a state of dishabille? It would go a long way to explaining why Phyllis can't let him go.

• Members
The ged hopping and dark gothic themes were common staples under past writing regimes including Bill Bell. The business stories were used to amplify sexual exploits. Anyone remember when Patty Williams went to the office to tell Jack she was pregnant and he was having an affair with Diane Jenkins? Patty had a miscarriage and was left on the floor for what seemed like at least a week.

Brad Carlton was held in a cage for a whole summer half naked by Cassandra.

And I think MAB did write use the business themes to drive several stories in the fall with the Jabot takeover and the return of the Abbotts and then Restless Style's photo shoot with the Billy/Chloe/Phyllis/Nick/Sharon elements.

I can't say that business stories have been completely lacking under MAB when she has utilized Chancellor Industries, Jabot Cosmetics, Restless Style and Newman Enterprises quite successfully from time to time.

She hasn't had a business specific story but I do agree that they've all been done to death on this show.

On the other hand, I have to agree that the Art story is the pits and she does need to tone down the bed swapping. Jack going from Phyllis to Mary Jane wasn't really necessary and Billy is a male ho. I'm wondering how long it will take him to cheat on Mackenzie because she's so dull I can't possibly see Billy changing his ways for her. They need to keep Raul around for Mackenzie, he's the only one she's sparked with.

• Members

If I was a big picture kind of person I would love this show as much as Cashton and MarkH do, but I'm not. Some of these storylines have more holes than swiss cheese. I wonder how they are going to make sense of Phillip the third being alive all these years. Why did Jill leave all her money in one bank and didn't she have some percentage of Jabot stock that she got from her divorce from John?

A lot of these storylines start off with a lot of promise, but it all goes crap. The Kay kidnapping and the quad went on for too long. People are against Shick rather than for them, at least Noah called them out on their crap. The Kay kidnapping started the chipmunk storyline and we all know how that went.

She has to stop making the "fab four" get into trouble. The more trouble they get into the less I feel sorry from them and the more I hope they go to jail.

In a fairness LML and MAB love the Fisher-Baldwins, except Micheal and Lauren. The day they get rid of Kevin and Gloria is the I eat the laptop that I type this post on.

Looking at that pic of Ashley and Nikki's hair I know why there is a hole in the ozone layer.

Archived