The Suds Report: June 12, 2009

• Members

The worst thing about the Perez's and Nelson's IMO is that they are now the ones making life hell for the few in the industry who've come out publicly. Not the execs who fear that gay entertainers won't play well in Peoria. Not freaked-out publicists. Not even the irrational homophobes. They are the ones currently making it impossible for an entertainer to be gay but keep their personal life private and their public life focused on their career. That attitude will do nothing but cause more and more to stay in the closet hoping that they and their careers might get left alone. WTH is accomplished by that?

Openly gay performers, or openly gay people in any profession for that matter, need to be allowed to live their lives the way they see fit without their sexuality being treated as a scandal, side-show, or political pawn by anyone, including the the likes of Perez or Nelson. They might think they're scoring points for their side with these things but the opposite is true.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

PH is really a low-life. Poor DLB. Guy's not an actor or some fame whore. He's just a WRITER, for goodness sake. He made a mistake with the pictures, but lots of people get stupid when they're in love/lust. He doesn't deserve to be humiliated like this. PH has done nothing to help the gay community by doing this to DLB. If Hell exists, PH is surely going there. 100 years from now DLB will still be in the history books as an Oscar winner, PH will be long forgotten.

• Members

I disagree.

If networks want to play games with performers and take sides with irrational homophobes there's nothing the critics can say or do to push them to that.

I think people like Nelson and Perez can come up pretty shallow when it comes to speaking on behalf of the gay audience, but anyone perceiving them as doing so, or who takes their commentary out on others has issues that go beyond what these guys have to say. To perceive these guys stance on the matter as threatening makes absolutely no sense. I understand that there are people who would rather participate in a bystander position, but some people don't.

I can see the downside considering Perez and Nelson might be some people's only interaction with homosexuals, but that's not their fault. People need to get out more and realize one person cannot and does not speak for a group.

I'm done channeling my inner Brandon Walsh.

• Members

I don't see the fuss over Perez posting those pictures. For every straight sex tape he does the same thing. That's the type of blog he has. It's about celebrity gossip and he posts all the outrageousness. As for Nelson, I think he's interesting most of the time and gets scoops and interviews that are more interesting than most. Yes, he can be too much of a fangurl or drama queen at times, but overall I like him. Soap journalism would be pretty boring without him.

• Members

No offense, but Brandon totally wouldn't say that lol

Seriously, though, Perez going on his little outing crusades is no better than a homophobe doing the same thing. He's basically saying "shame on you for not broadcasting your personal life to the masses!" The thing is, there are OODLES of straight celebrities who simply choose not to put their private lives in the public eye. Those people aren't closeted anything, they're just people who keep a line between public and personal life. Just because a celebrity is gay doesn't mean that they can't have a line there. I can't believe Perez referred to Adam Lambert as closeted. WTF, Perez.

• Members

Welcome back to SON!

I liked goofy-Drew, and (I know--brickbats for me) I liked his romance with Amber. I liked that she was robbing the cradle.

I consider Drew more engaging and interesting than, say, Texas Battle or Winsor Harmon or ... most of the cast.

I wouldn't put on a black armband if he were recast, but I find him far less offensive than most of the cast.

Archived